Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

2 hours ago, lexicon said:

Really? Formation totally changed, lost the guy who assisted so many of his goals, expensive striker signing rattling him a bit... it's all pretty obvious why, no?

Explains some but, most of what made him so successful last season was his work rate, pressing out of possession. That for me has dropped off big time 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Jbvilla909 said:

Explains some but, most of what made him so successful last season was his work rate, pressing out of possession. That for me has dropped off big time 

Dropped off big time?

It's gone from 16.9 to 15.4 per game - that's a tiny difference. 

On 13/01/2022 at 11:04, gilbertoAVFC said:

I've really heard it all on this forum recently.

People comparing Douglas Luiz to Ashley Westwood and now Ollie Watkins to Andi Weimann.

People are so unbelievably ungrateful. Watkins is the most all-round striker we have had since Yorke and will only get better. He'll be second to Kane at the World Cup imo.

Good one

2 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

He's good at running channels stretching defences and can score a goal.

That's it. When he is played as anything other than an advanced striker you really do see the lack of ability and top tier coaching he's not had coming through the leagues.

You look at Ramsay and Chuk. They play at their own pace at times. Their touch is golden they aren't panicked.

Watkins at times and especially in congested areas...he can't control a bag of cement he can't think quick enough to find a pass.

He's a very very very limited footballer.

He's not a winger. He's not a second striker. He can't do it.

Spot on

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Rossco76 said:

Whether you're pro Watkins or not, surely most people would agree he was atrocious today against utd, just really really poor.

Without a doubt, but this obsession by many to complain about players and talk about binning them off after every match is mental

6 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Pass.

The.

Ball.

Think he will benefit massively by having two creators either side of him ONCE Coutinho is guy fit. I agree though, be a good teammate and🗣️🗣️ PASS THE BALL!

9 hours ago, lexicon said:

Dropped off big time?

It's gone from 16.9 to 15.4 per game - that's a tiny difference. 

I just call what I see mate not what the stat says. May only be marginal but, his pressing this season has not been effective imo even less so when out wide. Him and Ings do not work together, play either or down the middle 

56 minutes ago, Jbvilla909 said:

I just call what I see mate not what the stat says. May only be marginal but, his pressing this season has not been effective imo even less so when out wide. Him and Ings do not work together, play either or down the middle 

He's actually marginally more successful with his pressing this season, 27% to 26.5%. I don't want to sound like an arse here, but when I've got a negative feeling about a player or their performance, I check the stats to see whether my instinct/memory correlates with the data first - even just with fbref and whoscored we've got a wealth of analytics available to us now - because I know that I can be sometimes be biased and mistaken.

I agree that he and Ings don't work together, though. I really don't see the point of them both being there when we have so much attacking talent available.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, lexicon said:

He's actually marginally more successful with his pressing this season, 27% to 26.5%. I don't want to sound like an arse here, but when I've got a negative feeling about a player or their performance, I check the stats to see whether my instinct/memory correlates with the data first - even just with fbref and whoscored we've got a wealth of analytics available to us now - because I know that I can be sometimes be biased and mistaken.

I agree that he and Ings don't work together, though. I really don't see the point of them both being there when we have so much attacking talent available.

That's fair mate. I just look at games through beer goggles most the time and have no urge to check the data 😂😂

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Pretty sure that with the arrival of Coutinho then Gerrard's normal formation will be 1 striker with Emi and Coutinho just behind.  The pressure is then on Ings and Watkins to (a) prove that they should be the starting striker and (b) that we don't need to look for a striker in the summer.  Although both have had a frustrating and disrupted first half of the season they need to do better in the second half.  Also have to say that if we can keep clear of injuries I think the whole team looks more balanced now than it did at the start of the season so hopefully that means we will be creating more, and better, chances for whoever is playing up top.  At the risk of upsetting most of the forum I can't help but think that Tammy would be a better fit to the way it looks like we will be playing.

• Like 1

Â