Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

11 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I don't see it as the formation. It's decision making, touch, keeping the ball and finishing in some games. That's not down to the formation in my book.

Keeping the ball is partly down to the formation i think. 

On 20/10/2021 at 14:30, PaulC said:

Is he out of form or just the 3-5-2 isn't suiting him.  I don't mind who he picks as long as he gets rid of this 3-5-2

To be fair Paul, when it works in games i.e Man U......its hard to suddenly see fault in it.

If its played right, meaning players buy in to it and MAKE it work, I don't see anything wrong with it.

What I don't believe is....a system is going to bail us out of losing games....Players with a fierce determination to win , will.

• Like 1

On 20/10/2021 at 17:25, PaulC said:

Keeping the ball is partly down to the formation i think. 

Its down to form, timing and confidence...and the innate technical ability in the first place.

as one example....Last Season, Salah, lost it....but now has it back in abundance and its abundantly clear to see.

Ollie will get it back, just has to keep working hard.

50 minutes ago, TRO said:

Its down to form, timing and confidence...and the innate technical ability in the first place.

as one example....Last Season, Salah, lost it....but now has it back in abundance and its abundantly clear to see.

That and the system too. You play two up top you are encouraging the long ball  and also you are picking one less technical player so you are going to give it away more. 

I have to say that  (imo) playing two strikers with six defenders inevitably starves our strikers supply line. Before someone says "Cash and Targett are playing as wing backs" the last thing Watkins and Ings need are aerial crosses. They need creative through balls on the deck.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, PaulC said:

That and the system too. You play two up top you are encouraging the long ball  and also you are picking one less technical player so you are going to give it away more. 

I think the long ball is encouraged, by no natural winger, being played at present....we are improvising, I accept that.

c17% of all goals scored are in the air.....if you play one, its very difficult to win those balls.....we have to get them to play off each other.

I am neither for it or against it.......I don't think its our main issue, but hey ho.

I think Ollies dip in form is there for all to see, but I am not convinced its just down to playing in a 2.

Edited by TRO

46 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think the long ball is encouraged, by no natural winger, being played at present....we are improvising, I accept that.

Yes exactly. Guess a modification would be to play Bailey when fully fit instead of Targett. We looked good against Everton when we went with that. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Yes exactly. Guess a modification would be to play Bailey when fully fit instead of Targett. We looked good against Everton when we went with that. 

The problem is Paul, every game is different and we only have 11 players.....teams natuarlly try to exploit us, and we have to be ready and counter, thats part and parcel of the games strategic struggle.

We can pick any formation and it has its advantages, and its disadvantages....its how the players apply themselves to the managers instructions and carry them out...its how well they do.

A team full of 7's & 8s give you a good chance of win....for me, that is the main criteria.

Edited by TRO

11 hours ago, TRO said:

The problem is Paul, every game is different and we only have 11 players.....teams natuarlly try to exploit us, and we have to be ready and counter, thats part and parcel of the games strategic struggle.

We can pick any formation and it has its advantages, and its disadvantages....its how the players apply themselves to the managers instructions and carry them out...its how well they do.

A team full of 7's & 8s give you a good chance of win....for me, that is the main criteria.

I'd like to know which of our players are on the ball most with this system because if its Mings, Targett or cash, rather than the good footballers like Luiz and Buendia its not working.  Going back in time Brian Clough said when at Derby give the ball to Hinton because he can play and the same at Forest with Robertson. 

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, PaulC said:

I'd like to know which of our players are on the ball most with this system because if its Mings, Targett or cash, rather than the good footballers like Luiz and Buendia its not working.  Going back in time Brian Clough said when at Derby give the ball to Hinton because he can play and the same at Forest with Robertson. 

Makes  sense....but if you have players constantly loosing it,or giving it away cheaply,  it raises concerns.....Jack was a player, who could keep it, we miss that element.

I think full backs in general, see a lot of the ball.

20 hours ago, TRO said:

31 goals in 51 games is hardly losing it but I take your point I suppose. 

Edited by Steero113

1 minute ago, Steero113 said:

31 goals in 51 games is hardly losing it but I take your point I suppose. 

I think it was Mane and Firminho that lost it last season but anyway I'm not convinced Watkins is out of form. His role is just dfifferent

13 minutes ago, AV82 said:

I wonder if the crowds are affecting him too? Quite the step up from Brentford in the Championship.

Personally I think it's a case of competition for places that's backfired .

Â