Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

13 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

This. 

I feel dirty saying this but the Ings signing felt like something to placate the fans having lost Grealish. I’m not sure there was a plan behind it at all. Stunk of a panic signing. 

I think many more clubs than us would have taken him....I thought and still think it was a coup.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, nick76 said:

Somebody said to me yesterday that the reason they thought the Watkins/Ings wasn’t working is due to Watkins being so off form.  I wasn’t quite convinced but they said he’s struggling with his connection with most players at the moment but obviously the focus is on Ings and him, and Watkins link with other players gets missed.  I did notice some of it during the game then as well.

I agree....Ollie is way off it, thats the issue in my book....yesterday Max Kilman bullied him too, with little response....he is finding the going tough.

To blame the ings partnership, I think is a cop out.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

Its hard to say whether is the system or him but I'm not giving up on him. He will come good. 

He is just not having this formation. 

Play him alone up top in 4-3-3 and we see a different Ollie, I'm sure. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I agree with this. Arsenal have really struggled against him in recent fixtures, playing as a lone striker. Let’s revert to that on Friday and give it to them.

there have always been two obvious problems with the pairing of Ings and Watkins up front.

Inside the penalty area Ings key area is sniffing out the half chances; Watkins spent last season learning to run into these positions.

Outside the penalty area Watkins key area is running into the space beyond the defence;. This season much of the space up front is occupied by Ings and the defender marking him. 

2 minutes ago, bose said:

We have to drop either him or Ings. Just not working. For the way we play I’d drop Ings even if that seems harsh on him.

But Ollie is well off form whereas Ings while not firing on all cylinders is at least productive.  Ings starts for me at the moment.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, nick76 said:

But Ollie is well off form whereas Ings while not firing on all cylinders is at least productive.  Ings starts for me at the moment.

It’s such a difficult decision. Ollie leads the press, but as you say he’s not re-producing last season’s form. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Yeah I agree with Ollie clearly being out of form. He has been very good against Arsenal so I hope he’ll recapture his form on Friday. Nothing wrong with starting Ings though. We really need Bailey fit and abandon the 3-5-2 system.

• Like 1

Think Watkins can be use on the left , if Bailey is not playing .. he’s started as a winger at Brentford  with Maupay in the middle if I remember correctly. Ings should be the middle as he’s finish is better & also can read passes better from Bhundia in the middle .. 

On 17/10/2021 at 21:47, villalad21 said:

I think its already been said by another poster....It shouldn't stop a first touch or a searing run in to space or a fierce battle for the ball..

Sure it could affect some things, but other things are no system related.

Ollie is playing very poorly by his own standards and his application is questionable, which I never saw last season.

Ollie is playing like he has the hump.

2 minutes ago, Digavilla said:

Think Watkins can be use on the left , if Bailey is not playing .. he’s started as a winger at Brentford  with Maupay in the middle if I remember correctly. Ings should be the middle as he’s finish is better & also can read passes better from Bhundia in the middle .. 

My understanding is....Ollie has categorically ruled out playing out wide.

I guess he has an England place to think of and he is not risking that.

I would guess this kind of thing, Dean is well aware of, it how he deals with it?

21 hours ago, nick76 said:

Me Too.

also Danny looks up for it.....Ollie looks like he has the Hump.

I think It could affect Team spirit to see a player who is up for it, left out for a player in melancholy mode.....another reason why Hause would be in for me.

I like good attitude, its contagious in a group.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

My understanding is....Ollie has categorically ruled out playing out wide.

I guess he has an England place to think of and he is not risking that.

I would guess this kind of thing, Dean is well aware of, it how he deals with it?

I will be disappoint if Ollie refuse to play wide , as Villa ‘s is the priority, not his England ambitions. He’s not CR7/ Messi level who’s marketing income allow them to dictate where they want to play.

Hope Dean can be strong on this,  as if every player can chose where they want to play why we need Dean than ? 

24 minutes ago, Digavilla said:

I will be disappoint if Ollie refuse to play wide , as Villa ‘s is the priority, not his England ambitions. He’s not CR7/ Messi level who’s marketing income allow them to dictate where they want to play.

Hope Dean can be strong on this,  as if every player can chose where they want to play why we need Dean than ? 

I am speculating on the reasons, but yes, Dean needs to stand strong on this.

These are the ideal moments to show who is boss.

• Like 1

Â