Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

Just now, villa89 said:

Told Ya!

He shocked me with that lineup to be honest.  Most experimental side he's put out in his England career.

Still managed to include Henderson though...

Ollie couldn't really have done much more, but will it be enough to make him the natural primary backup to Kane.

Thought he did well. Made some good runs in behind and linked the play pretty well. Should have probably scored his first chance but he kept going and got one eventually. I'd like to think he's done enough to be involved again.

Decent display from him in a disjointed performance from England, no width at all first half , would loved to have seen Bowen , Watkins and Grealish offer some width. Second half was a real shit show,.looked lost tbh, when Ollie went off there was no hold up play at all, Nketiah looked lost against their back 3. England are weak up front , Kane, Ollie and Wilson should be in the squad but Southgate is the manager so who knows who he will pick. 

53 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Really? Got a link?

I haven't. It was straight after the match on Ch 4. 

Mainly it was the quote "I knew I wasn't walking off the pitch without a goal tonight"

There were a couple of other phrases in a similar tone but I couldn't accurately recall them.

Just stuck out as a bit different to his usual "keep my head down, work hard" type answers. 

• Like 1

His goal pleased me in that he gambled at the far post, he doesn’t get enough of these type of goals. There have been a few times this season when the ball has flashed across the six yard box and he hasn’t gambled and slid in. I want him to gamble more just slide in and let the ball hit you, easy 5 goals a season to be had this way! 

• Like 2

As much as I want Watkins in the squad I think based on the ability Toney has shown he should be 2nd choice behind Kane. 

I think Wilson is 3rd choice in a lot of people's eyes and he does perform very well but his legs are made of shatterproof rulers. Watkins is indestructible and good so I think he has to go, he's a safe bet and not much of a downgrade if at all on other options. 

9 hours ago, May-Z said:

I haven't. It was straight after the match on Ch 4. 

Mainly it was the quote "I knew I wasn't walking off the pitch without a goal tonight"

There were a couple of other phrases in a similar tone but I couldn't accurately recall them.

Just stuck out as a bit different to his usual "keep my head down, work hard" type answers. 

Yup, it was a good interview...

Comments about Emery improving his game (Watkins) and how he has so much more confidence to play at the top level.

I also thought he played well, lots of energy, some good runs and getting into dangerous positions. Unlucky not to score two.

Fairly glowing article about him on the BBC site. Currently the run away winner on a “who should be Kane’s understudy?” vote:

Ollie Watkins was on the scoresheet again, 563 days after his last England appearance and goal.

The in-form Aston Villa striker made the most of his long-awaited opportunity to impress Three Lions boss Gareth Southgate once again with the winner in Friday's otherwise low-key friendly with Australia.”

(Link: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67108562)

8 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Fairly glowing article about him on the BBC site. Currently the run away winner on a “who should be Kane’s understudy?” vote:

Ollie Watkins was on the scoresheet again, 563 days after his last England appearance and goal.

The in-form Aston Villa striker made the most of his long-awaited opportunity to impress Three Lions boss Gareth Southgate once again with the winner in Friday's otherwise low-key friendly with Australia.”

(Link: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67108562)

People are fickle. If Wilson and Toney are in form by next year, one of them will be ahead.

1 hour ago, WallisFrizz said:

People are fickle. If Wilson and Toney are in form by next year, one of them will be ahead.

That's the reality of the situation. Kane plays, we have one more slot for Toney, Wilson, Watkins, DCL dependant on form and fitness. It's tough on Watkins but England are very well stocked in the front line. 

2 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

Agreed. And, for what it’s worth, I think Wilson’s directness suits England more than Watkins does. 

2 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

In fairness, those are all good players.

I think Wilson could be eliminated on the basis of questionable fitness all the time.

DCL is also good, but i think he may fall just behind Ollie and Toney.

I reckon it should be a shootout between those two.

Ollie, Toney and Kane would be a very good selection of strikers.

• Like 2

Â