Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

If he bags most of the chances that come to him, he then is basically a world class striker. Think people need some perspective and check the scoring charts to see how few 20 season a year strikers actually exist these days.  Recall similar discussions about Carew and Angel previously.

• Like 3

Thought he took his goal well and out of the three of Watkins, Ings and Archer I think he was the only one who would have scored it.

However put Archer in any of the other chance situations he had and he’d have buried them.

9 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I laughed when someone said in the match thread, let's hope Watkins now gets some confidence to go on a run.

How many times have we heard this. 🤣

To be fair he’s got 2 in 4 since Gerrard was sacked, and not against bad teams. Interested to see how he does second half of the season.

• Like 1

Just now, The_Steve said:

Stick him on the wing and sign a striker. His pressing and pace will continue to cause teams problems. He can’t lead the line taking chances when we are chasing the games. 

Was thinking this, he is athletic a runner, just not a finisher. Needs a smart coach. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Was thinking this, he is athletic a runner, just not a finisher. Needs a smart coach. 

That's the thing though when you set up with 1 up to vs a CB pairing like that, you actually need an athletic runner up top to try and play off them, I think they cope with Ings far easier, probably too experienced for archer too

Seem to remember last year Watkins gave them pair a good game, so much that klopp commented on it after

11 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Maybe we should try false 9 out when we get to 40 points?

Bailey is playing very centrally since Emery came in so the possibility is already there.

Brighton won comfortably at Southampton today with Trossard their most advanced attacker.

Trossard is absolute quality, I actually think we should make them a offer.

1 hour ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Although he scored tonight.

Where we are currently as a football club, we cannot afford to have a striker that needs a minimum of 8 chances to score a goal..

He needs replacing..

The problem is that Villa caused the whole situation by selling a player for £100m, which caused dramatic transfer inflation, wasted the money, and now can't afford a player likely to score the goals they need.

Watkins still looks like a £28M player, to me.

First half was very poor finishing. But he did much better at his hold up play and bringing other people in. 

Second half he finished the two big chances he had. A much better performance. 

Overall, probably a good fit for where we are...but will either need to improve or be improved if we want to go any further. 

Â