Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

He suited Smith's style of getting on the end of crosses and running onto balls into the channels.

As soon as he needs to be involved in the build up, or is needed to hold the ball up on his own, it shows his limitations too much. 

Having Davis up  top would've worked better recently as he could hold it before giving it to an attacking mid.

Having Wilson up top for the last couple of years would've seen us kick on a bit due to his power and finishing.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, May-Z said:

Was it the same summer where we went for Wilson and Watkins?

Imagine if Wilson had been in our team over the past year...

Wilson scored 8 goals last season. Watkins scored 11

24 minutes ago, May-Z said:

He suited Smith's style of getting on the end of crosses and running onto balls into the channels.

As soon as he needs to be involved in the build up, or is needed to hold the ball up on his own, it shows his limitations too much. 

Having Davis up  top would've worked better recently as he could hold it before giving it to an attacking mid.

Having Wilson up top for the last couple of years would've seen us kick on a bit due to his power and finishing.

Davis' all round game is so far ahead of Watkins it's scary. We need to give Archer a run before we can add/recall people in January, Watkins is just painful viewing.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Davis' all round game is so far ahead of Watkins it's scary. We need to give Archer a run before we can add/recall people in January, Watkins is just painful viewing.

I agree 100%. 

He does have some positives in terms of wirk rate, but his technical ability is so so poor it hurts to watch.

Work rate alone in his position (up front) just isn't enough.

For the money we have spent, we have some really bang average or even poor players.

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

Wilson scored 8 goals last season. Watkins scored 11

Granted. But Ollie is currently getting heat for his all-round game.

Would it be worth reading three goals for someone who help the overall style of play more? I'd say so. 

When you watch Wilson (or other strikers who can use their strength well) they make defenders feel like they've had to work hard during the game. 

My feeling is that defenders get an easy time from Ollie because his hold up strength is poor and his touch gives them a chance to nip in.

I like Ollie, but has been exposed with the way we've asked him to play. 

Big fan of Ollie, but I think I have finally had it with him.

For so long now, I have been hoping he finds form again, and when he scored against Brentford, I was hoping very much he had turned a corner, but after the Newcastle game, I have had to draw the conclusion that he doesn't belong here.

During the last game, he couldn't hold the ball, couldn't win the ball. It was like he had no physical substance, like he was a ghost. Absolute passenger, and I had already forgiven his shot in the Fulham game that went out for a throw.

I really don't like criticising our players. When there is a debate about the quality of our players, I usually stay out of it. But, if we want to improve, we can't afford to hold on to passengers, especially if they take up valuable positions in the squad.

Unfortunately, Ollie has become unplayable now, and not in the good way.

21 hours ago, Risso said:

Watkins is absolutely number one on the list of players who desperately need to be upgraded. He's just not anywhere good enough. His decision making, his first touch and shooting are all abysmal. Probably worth a third of what we paid for him at the moment.

And how many other english players have scored more than 10 goals in the premier league in the last two seasons? For a mid table side at best?

15 minutes ago, Risso said:

Wilson played 18 games, Watkins played 35.

Well yeah but to be fair Wilson’s injuries are a big reason you wouldn’t want him as your main striker for a season/why he has very rarely scored many goals in his career. Reliability is a good thing even if Watkins isn’t scoring enough goals. What we need is a good 25-goal striker who is fit to play every game, works the defence ragged, presses, and helps out the team in general play. Ideally comes up through the Academy too.

25 minutes ago, Risso said:

Wilson played 18 games, Watkins played 35.

Wilson is an injury prone player. You have to take that into account. Lowers his value/worth massively. 

10 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

One season wonder - and that was without fans.

Time to cash in we need better. Id have tammy any day over him

same Tammy that has just 2 league goals this season playing in a supposedly weaker league?

He is dreadfully out of form and I hope we sign an upgrade in the summer as it's a key position. 

That said, he suits counter attacking football much more than whatever dogs dinner we've been trying to play under Gerrard. He was genuinely good the first season under Smith (clearly Jack helped a lot too).

I suspect we may see more counter attacking play under Emery so he still has his uses, flawed as his game is.

Ollie has not become a bad player overnight and has 27 goals in the previous 2 seasons so he's not just an Emile Heskey hard working striker. I would expect he'll be one of the biggest improvements early doors.

• Like 1

Â