Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

14 hours ago, useless said:

He wasn't great today looked rusty, but that wasn't a bad miss today, it was a sensational save from the Leeds keeper.

Also feel sorrty for Archer, every time Watkins misses a chance we get the comments of how Archer would have buried it, people talking as if Archer is some sort of master marksman that never misses, I hate to break the news but at Championship level he wasn't that prolific, he did very well, but nothing to suggest he would be more prolific than Watkins at Premier League level, my worry is that people are putting way too big expectations on him, and if he doesn't live up to those there will be an unfair backlash.

Also Ings misses plenty of chances.

This is the thing. Our "clinical finisher" Ings hasn't been very clinical for Villa. Missed quite a few one on ones last season that should be his bread and butter. So it's harder to make a case for dropping Watkins, when he has a better all round game.

We have to hope one of them finds form this season, or I think we'll be forking out for another striker soon.

3 hours ago, KentVillan said:

This is the thing. Our "clinical finisher" Ings hasn't been very clinical for Villa. Missed quite a few one on ones last season that should be his bread and butter. So it's harder to make a case for dropping Watkins, when he has a better all round game.

We have to hope one of them finds form this season, or I think we'll be forking out for another striker soon.

Id argue watkins had a significant more amount of games starting as a lone striker than ings did

As someone that played as a striker any one on one with the keeper has to be in the strikers favour. I don’t know how many times he’s missed in these situations, but I’d be happy to bet it’s more than he’s scored. 

Watkins doesn’t have the natural instinct to do the role in this league. He is massively inconsistent in his all round game to the point of frustration. There’s times when I watch him I think he couldn’t hit a cows arse with a banjo. 

I’ve said it on numerous occasions but Archer is a natural finisher, he is instinctive. It doesn’t matter which foot it’s on he will just go with it. Watkins can not do this and nor will he, he is too old now to change his natural ability. 

Hey, I’ve been wrong before but I don’t see how we can get to where we want to be with him. 

I’d be more inclined to sell him, and bring in a new one. 

I’ve said before he’s a much better finish when it’s instinctively. When he has time to think about it he messes up. 

I still like him and think he’s a good player, I just think as we are getting better as a team with better players it’s starting to show which areas we could take it too another level. 

I think generally his finishing is not a problem and that save whilst Watkins shouldn't have allowed it to be made was incredible.

The issue for me is his all round game and touch and quick thinking us far off it at times and at 25/26 is it going to get remarkably better.

I think he'll start the season again and play most games but Ings is a better player.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

Watkins today was very poor...that miss was unforgivable even with the finishing coach they hired for him.

Im sure we are going to have the exact same problem as last year up top if something is not changed

I mean, it was a friendly so in principle it is forgivable :D 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Steero113 said:

I mean, it was a friendly so in principle it is forgivable :D 

Normally id say ok it was only a friendly...but after the season he had last year and the amount of misses he had i cant see any improvement in his finishing

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I think generally his finishing is not a problem and that save whilst Watkins shouldn't have allowed it to be made was incredible.

The issue for me is his all round game and touch and quick thinking us far off it at times and at 25/26 is it going to get remarkably better.

I think he'll start the season again and play most games but Ings is a better player.

I think his finishing is poor generally.  In more detail, if he doesn’t have to think about it he’s ok but give him any time to think and he’s really poor like the last game.

I agree with your other paragraphs though.

• Like 2

Just now, nick76 said:

I think his finishing is poor generally.  In more detail, if he doesn’t have to think about it he’s ok but give him any time to think and he’s really poor like the last game.

I agree with your other paragraphs though.

I was just about to write that...I think there is 2 sides to Oliie during games. One that doesn't think, just reacts and the other that has time on the ball and over thinks putting pressure on himself.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, By the arse of McGinn said:

As someone that played as a striker any one on one with the keeper has to be in the strikers favour. I don’t know how many times he’s missed in these situations, but I’d be happy to bet it’s more than he’s scored. 

Watkins doesn’t have the natural instinct to do the role in this league. He is massively inconsistent in his all round game to the point of frustration. There’s times when I watch him I think he couldn’t hit a cows arse with a banjo. 

I’ve said it on numerous occasions but Archer is a natural finisher, he is instinctive. It doesn’t matter which foot it’s on he will just go with it. Watkins can not do this and nor will he, he is too old now to change his natural ability. 

Hey, I’ve been wrong before but I don’t see how we can get to where we want to be with him. 

I’d be more inclined to sell him, and bring in a new one. 

How much would you sell him for then? Genuinely intrigued.

16 hours ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Has to put it away 

FF9F037A-D452-4511-B842-D8C0BA954964.jpeg

Yep, I agree - this is the most telling angle of why IMO it was a bad miss.  So much room to slot it to the keepers right (left as we look). 

Open your body up, give the keeper the eye that you are going to his left then slot it low into the bottom corner. Easy. ;).

1 minute ago, WakefieldVillan said:

Yep, I agree - this is the most telling angle of why IMO it was a bad miss.  So much room to slot it to the keepers right (left as we look). 

Open your body up, give the keeper the eye that you are going to his left then slot it low into the bottom corner. Easy. ;).

That's what he did but he went high rather than low

He should socre but it was still a good save

Yeah, it was a fantastic save but Ollie essentially put it straight at him so he was in a position to make a brilliant save.  Ollie had acres of space to hit where the keeper would just be in no position to make any kind of save.

Much like the Coutinho follow up to the penalty.

In both cases you can't just say Oh well, great save.  The keeper should never have been allowed a chance of a save.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

That's what he did but he went high rather than low

He should socre but it was still a good save

He doesn't though - his shot is fairly central!

Yes, it's a decent save from a keepers POV but he shouldn't have been given a chance to make the save - and he wouldn't have if Ollie had placed it in the corner.

5 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Id argue watkins had a significant more amount of games starting as a lone striker than ings did

Probably because Ings isn’t suited to a lone striker role, typically.

To play the lone striker role you usually need to have a good physical presence, able to challenge well for aerial balls and be prepared to run yourself into the ground chasing long balls into the channels.

None of those are strengths for Ings in my view.

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Young ARCHER gets that chance, 9 times out of 10 you can count on him finishing it to be fair.

Still early days though, let's see how Ollie gets on in the next few games.

We need to be careful not to overhype him as he'll just end up getting more abuse when he does miss chances like this, which he did plenty of times for Preston. One game I watched he missed 3 like that or easier.

He's certainly a far more instinctive finisher, has a better first touch and is impressive with both feet though.

• Like 2

Â