Academy General Topic

smetrov

'The 16-year-old has all but confirmed his arrival at the club via his personal Instagram page – sharing stories from his friends offering congratulations about his impending move. A look at his social media will also tell you that Ruben is sponsored by Puma at his young age – perhaps showcasing the talent that he has.'

UNDER A GASLIT LAMP

• Thanks 1

Just now, Villarocker said:

Ruben Shakpoke scored 11 goals in a game against Watford. No mean feat at any level, that. 

Unless you're playing for Man City against them at adult level, then it's a bit 'what were you at for the rest of the game?'

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Villarocker said:

Ruben Shakpoke scored 11 goals in a game against Watford. No mean feat at any level, that. 

I've not seen him play but he is supposed to be very highly rated, so good to see us targeting the best young players.

11 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I've not seen him play but he is supposed to be very highly rated, so good to see us targeting the best young players.

Totally agree mate. It seems they've really got an eye for youth players they think have talent and hope to make into much better footballers. 

It will be interesting to see how many of them make the step up to the first team in 4 or 5 years' time. 

Just now, Villarocker said:

Totally agree mate. It seems they've really got an eye for youth players they think have talent and hope to make into much better footballers. 

It will be interesting to see how many of them make the step up to the first team in 4 or 5 years' time. 

I'd imagine it is all Harrison, he will know the best young players out there from his time at WBA and now he has been given the means to go and get them. He must be like a kid in a sweet shop at the moment.

The other thing is the more of these young players we sign the easier I think it will be to land the next ones, but getting a few through to the first team will be crucial for that and the investment to continue you would think.

• Like 2

Just now, TrentVilla said:

I'd imagine it is all Harrison, he will know the best young players out there from his time at WBA and now he has been given the means to go and get them. He must be like a kid in a sweet shop at the moment.

The other thing is the more of these young players we sign the easier I think it will be to land the next ones, but getting a few through to the first team will be crucial for that and the investment to continue you would think.

It does seem that way, it didn't take long for Louie Barry to come back home. 

I guess they've told Harrison he can pretty much get who he wants so the pressure is on him to deliver the right players. He must be loving that job right now. 

3 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

It does seem that way, it didn't take long for Louie Barry to come back home. 

I guess they've told Harrison he can pretty much get who he wants so the pressure is on him to deliver the right players. He must be loving that job right now. 

Barry was entirely down to him.

• Like 1

It’ll be interesting to see how these players react next season. There seems to be a lot of attention on our youth recruitment, with some of the best in the country coming in, there will be a pressure and expectation attached to that. It’ll be a really good test for them. 

Is it correct that money spent on the academy/signing youth players doesn’t count towards FFP? If so, we can spend whatever it takes to bring the best young players to the club. Can’t wait to see what our academy produces in the next couple of years. 

Think the Lange appointment was also with a big eye on the Academy and bringing in young talents from oversees.

First time since the Moore brothers I've had any interest in the Academy. Very excited to monitor their progress and hopefully a few of them can make the step-up to the first team in the near future. 

This is what Birch tweeted back in July...

Yet he played yesto, maybe we let him play to help him keep his fitness up, unless the club changed their mind for some reason and decided to keep him on, although he'll be twenty in a couple of months so getting to the age where he'll be considered too old for our U23s, transfermarkt have him down as without a club. We play Sunderland on September 8th in the EFL Trophy so will be interesting to see what kind of team we play in that.

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, thejoker said:

Is it correct that money spent on the academy/signing youth players doesn’t count towards FFP? If so, we can spend whatever it takes to bring the best young players to the club. Can’t wait to see what our academy produces in the next couple of years. 

Yes that is correct but would assume there are conditions/limits.

I think we might’ve signed Ruben Shakpoke from Norwich City, Ben Chrisene has posted something on his Instagram. I watched it but then forgot what I watched and now I can’t find it. Shakpoke looks class, almost like a human battering ram

Edited by sir_gary_cahill
  • Haha 1

Chrisene posted a picture of Shakpoke in Birmingham, Shakpoke put it on his instagram as well, he's also been posting images of people congratulating him on his move to Villa all day as well. He and Chrisene know each other from England duty.

• Thanks 1

We're putting one hell of a team together for the future. Finally, using brains and financial brawn.

If we can be the place to be for the best youth, it will mean we can develop our own first team and use big money to fill the gaps with top players instead of a number of average ones. Love it.

Â