Academy General Topic

smetrov

37 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Maybe the club don’t want to put too much pressure on the young players that they are signing. Personally, if they are doing that I think it’s wise

I'm not saying they have to talk them up as 'the new Messi' or whatever, but I would have thought we'd be looking for people who could handle the pressure of being named as having been signed on a Twitter feed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm not saying they have to talk them up as 'the new Messi' or whatever, but I would have thought we'd be looking for people who could handle the pressure of being named as having been signed on a Twitter feed.

I agree

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Perhaps as they are all young 16(?), you aren’t allowed to publicise their signing? 

1 minute ago, mikeyp102 said:

Perhaps as they are all young 16(?), you aren’t allowed to publicise their signing? 

I don't think that's the case, as I can't think of any law that would prohibit it - you can name children who have been hired to act in movies for instance - but I'm open to being proved wrong. Anyway, the bigger picture is that they need to give more content related to the U18s and U23s. If they can't announce new signings for some reason, fine, but I'm sure they could update the OS and provide match updates on their Twitter feed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Absolutely baffling that at a time when the academy and youth teams seem to be strengthening, the club are very unreliable reporters of anything to do with them. Show highlights, name teams, update website, praise good performances, announce signings. Feels very 'lower division' to not be doing these things where at all possible.

Is it though?

Do we really want to shout about how much money we’ve got to spend on young players? Do we want to put them under the spot light? Do we want to shout about youth players arriving on social media only to get hundreds of “what about the first team” responses? Do we want things going to young players heads that they’ve made it rather than just started?

Lots of reasons not to do it and not really many reasons to shout about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

Is it though?

Do we really want to shout about how much money we’ve got to spend on young players? Do we want to put them under the spot light? Do we want to shout about youth players arriving on social media only to get hundreds of “what about the first team” responses? Do we want things going to young players heads that they’ve made it rather than just started?

Lots of reasons not to do it and not really many reasons to shout about it.

I'm not asking them to 'shout about' anything, but to provide some basic content for fans who are interested in youth football, and to encourage young players by better acknowledging their work. I've made clear that even providing accurate information on who is in these sides on the official website would be an improvement, as would providing scores or updates on their Twitter feed.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm not asking them to 'shout about' anything, but to provide some basic content for fans who are interested in youth football, and to encourage young players by better acknowledging their work. I've made clear that even providing accurate information on who is in these sides on the official website would be an improvement, as would providing scores or updates on their Twitter feed.

I do agree with you on accurate reporting/information.

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Absolutely agree. There should be a minimum level of updates on the website and social media channels.

4 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Let’s face it though our media department is poor has been for years

Yes, I completely agree, and this is really what I was driving at (perhaps not very clearly). Just comparing our OS and social output to other clubs in the division we're a way off even clubs like Southampton, let alone the big boys.

• Like 1

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

Yes, I completely agree, and this is really what I was driving at (perhaps not very clearly). Just comparing our OS and social output to other clubs in the division we're a way off even clubs like Southampton, let alone the big boys.

If I recall correctly when the money men took over at Man City their media department was the first thing that they overhauled.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

If I recall correctly when the money men took over at Man City their media department was the first thing that they overhauled.

Yeah, I think that's right. Hopefully it's something we make improvements on this season. To be fair to the club, I'm sure COVID doesn't make anything any easier.

We don't want to shine a big light on the clubs up and coming Crown jewels for bigger fish to cherry pick them off for next to nothing or some shitty fee in a tribunal. 

The exact reason the U23's will soon be Aston Villa "B" 

I doubt Bodymoor Heath is going to be open to supporters this season and to the best of my knowledge we're not about to start broadcasting U23 games. Our twitter feed largely ignores the U23's and it's often the case that to find information on games you need to follow the opposition's twitter feed.  Our OS will sometimes wait a few days before putting up what are fairly short and very dry match reports - coverage is scant.

Without fan input on describing these games and players, the likelihood of us knowing anything about the progress of this group is pretty remote.

The best coverage currently available of our Under 23's is found by directly following teenagers on social media - I'm sure that can't be the way forward.

53 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

We are seriously lagging behind in these stakes and have been for a long while now.

There's a limit though such as those bots on twitter abusing journalists for writing about sportswashing in Abu Dhabi. Although I supppose in Edens and Sawiris we won't have to worry on that front.

Â