Academy General Topic

smetrov

Just spotted this on Twitter from a Feyenoord youth team account:

Hearing that Feyenoord Academy's Lamare Bogarde (16) is close to a transfer to Premier League side Aston Villa. 🗣 He skipped the first  weeks of training with Feyenoord U18.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, thejoker said:

Hearing that Feyenoord Academy's Lamare Bogarde (16) is close to a transfer to Premier League side Aston Villa. 🗣 He skipped the first  weeks of training with Feyenoord U18.

Think he’s the nephew of Chelsea legend (!) Winston Bogarde

Edited by theboyangel

3 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Think he’s the nephew of Chelsea legend (!) Winston Bogarde

Let's hope he doesn't possess the same motivation that Winston displayed while contracted to Chelsea.

• Haha 1

What I like about this approach, trying to hoover up talent across Europe, is that if we bring 10 in and 1 or 2 becomes a first team regular then we've got a first team regular for peanuts. They won't all make it. 

We keep saying in here 'we need to get them before they become £40m players.' This is the best way of doing that. Exciting times, definitely.

• Like 1

Our academy sides will probably start losing more games as the U18s will be full of fifteen and sixteen year olds and the U23s will be full of sixteen to eighteen year olds, so they're going to be up against teams with players a lot older and more physically developed. Was looking on the academy thread on a Albion forum going back to when Mark Harrison was their Academy Director and it seems that was true for them.

But whilst we might lose more games, it should be better for the players' development and getting them ready eventually for the first team, again as Albion have shown.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thejoker said:

Yes been linked for a while and he is another we are trying to grab from under the noses of the likes of Arsenal.

I love the way we are finally starting to take the academy seriously. It’s been poorly run for years. It all adds to the sustainable model that we are trying to adopt and it really is exciting when young players make their way into the first team. Exciting times thanks to Wes and Nas.

10 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I love the way we are finally starting to take the academy seriously. It’s been poorly run for years. It all adds to the sustainable model that we are trying to adopt and it really is exciting when young players make their way into the first team. Exciting times thanks to Wes and Nas.

How do you know it has been poorly run? Things were done a certain way, it is now being done differently and sounds like money is being thrown at it, whether that is sustainable or any more successful is yet to be seen.

3 minutes ago, AndyClarke said:

How do you know it has been poorly run? Things were done a certain way, it is now being done differently and sounds like money is being thrown at it, whether that is sustainable or any more successful is yet to be seen.

I guess I am basing that on the fact that we have produced no players who are even squad players. Also we seemed to target success at youth level by having older players, who were never going to be good enough, playing against 16 year olds. Just my opinion of course. We will see what happens over time.

1 minute ago, M_Afro said:

I guess I am basing that on the fact that we have produced no players who are even squad players. Also we seemed to target success at youth level by having older players, who were never going to be good enough, playing against 16 year olds. Just my opinion of course. We will see what happens over time.

I think it was down to different people, different philosophy and vastly different budget.

It is incredibly difficult these days, the top clubs know all about the players about. If you can't chuck money at it, you will struggle to compete.

19 minutes ago, AndyClarke said:

I think it was down to different people, different philosophy and vastly different budget.

It is incredibly difficult these days, the top clubs know all about the players about. If you can't chuck money at it, you will struggle to compete.

I agree. I just think it’s really positive that we are investing now. Hopefully it will pay dividends 

1 hour ago, AndyClarke said:

I think its fair to say things didn't appear to be working. Accusations of bullying, a lack of players making the transition, poor management of young players in terms of loans to external clubs at key times in development. 

I don't think our academy has done as well as it should and its arguably done worse than others with smaller budgets.

It's possibly also worth mentioning Mark Delaney as U23's manager here - he's one of few figures that have kept key positions within the academy structure as ownership has changed and I think it's reflects well on him and the work he's done since picking up the reins(/whip) from Kevin MacDonald. He seems to be well regarded and I hope he'll be here for years to come.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

It's possibly also worth mentioning Mark Delaney as U23's manager here - he's one of few figures that have kept key positions within the academy structure as ownership has changed and I think it's reflects well on him and the work he's done since picking up the reins(/whip) from Kevin MacDonald. He seems to be well regarded and I hope he'll be here for years to come.

Very valid point, there has been a quiet cull at BMH and he has prospered, clearly part of the plans to still be standing.

I suspect though with the current recruitment drive he will be under greater pressure.

• Like 1

When Richard Beale left the club back in February The Athletic reported that as well as looking for someone to replace him we were also looking for a new coach for the U23s, might have been poorly worded or poorly read by me, but sounded like they were talking about Delaney being replaced. I think it will be hard to judge Delaney because the U23s will be made up of mostly sixteen and seventeen year olds and as such might not win many games.

Under the new regime I think more importance will be placed on individual development and getting them ready for the first team rather than team results. Also that new U23 coach if it happens is probably more with a view to replacing MacDonald than Delaney.

Edited by useless

7 minutes ago, useless said:

When Richard Beale left the club back in February The Athletic reported that as well as looking for someone to replace him we were also looking for a new coach for the U23s, might have been poorly worded or poorly read by me, but sounded like they were talking about Delaney being replaced. I think it will be hard to judge Delaney because the U23s will be made up of mostly sixteen and seventeen year olds and as such might not win many games.

Under the new regime I think more importance will be placed on individual development and getting them ready for the first team rather than team results. Also that new U23 coach if it happens is probably more with a view to replacing MacDonald than Delaney.

I think he could only be judged on development rather than results. If it was Gregg Evans that wrote it then I wouldn’t take a lot of notice.

• Thanks 1

For all this talk of us 'hoovering up talent' we haven't actually signed any of them yet, so far we've been told that we're in for McBride, Shakpoke, Bogarde, Chrisene, Swinkles, and others from the continent but seems to have gone quiet on all of them, albeit Swinkles seems certain.

Philogene-Bidace signing a contract is the one I've been waiting for, have only seen highlights and read other people's descriptions, but sounds like exactly the type of player we could with when he's ready for the first team.

• Thanks 1

Â