Premier League 2020-21 thread

Jareth

9 minutes ago, Farlz said:

This is very funny 

I haven't been this happy since we stayed up.

The amount of them which were giving it large about being the richest in the World and buying the likes of Mbappe.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Farlz said:

This is very funny 

Happy about this. However it's not much to do with the Newcastle giving it the big 'un over everyone if it happened. It's more to do with the potential owners and their penchant for Autocracy and murdering people who don't agree with them. Although they did agree to stop executing children last year so they're not all bad I suppose.

• Like 3

Well it's good news for piracy fans - if they thought the Saudi efforts previously were good value, just watch them rip off BeIn Sports this coming season like you've never seen before. 

• Like 1

It’s really difficult looking at the teams in the league next year it’s really hard to predict who will struggle? Newcastle will probably be on a downer now and bruce doesn’t seem to do well second season, Sheffield United might have second season syndrome, they play off team whoever that will be will obviously be the favourites to go down but the league looks more competitive. It will be harder that’s for sure but we will have more experience. 

12 minutes ago, Hobbit Feet said:

It’s really difficult looking at the teams in the league next year it’s really hard to predict who will struggle? Newcastle will probably be on a downer now and bruce doesn’t seem to do well second season, Sheffield United might have second season syndrome, they play off team whoever that will be will obviously be the favourites to go down but the league looks more competitive. It will be harder that’s for sure but we will have more experience. 

Hard to tell before transfers, but I think West Brom will struggle. Also Palace maybe.

Edited by GENTLEMAN
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hobbit Feet said:

West broms transfer budget is around 14 pence. They'll struggle. 

4 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

West broms transfer budget is around 14 pence. They'll struggle. 

I get charged ten pence every time I use their shirts to put my shopping in surely they must have more???

• Haha 1

I was thinking about last season relegation battle. From the bottom 6-7, who do you think was the worst squad? I'm not sure if this is the right place to discuss but that's interesting to have a look at.

Norwich are the worst. But what about Watford, Bournemouth and Villa?

For us, I think we're the worst in the league in terms of forwards. Despite having Grealish, and despite Trez goals. But we definitely have some quality in the midfield (we didn't say that since Milner, Barry days). Our defence as individuals are fine too.

Bournemouth for example:

Ramsdale, Kelly, Ake, Billing, Brooks, Wilson, King, Fraser. I think those 8 would find their way in PL teams. Possibly even more, I can't say I know them all.

Same goes with:

Foster, Doucoure, Sarr, Deloufou, Deneey. Even Welbeck had his moments.

Who would we get instead of ours from each team? I think that's the easiest way to have an opinion about that.

Who would we get from Newcastle or Palace for example?

I think the best squad on paper are West Ham, Bournemouth aren't looking bad as individuals. We have a good midfield.

11 hours ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Hard to tell before transfers, but I think West Brom will struggle. Also Palace maybe.

Palace had an awful post lockdown, drew with spurs to end a 7 game losing streak and only scored something like 35 goals which was the lowest in their history 

They've got no momentum and a defensive minded coach in Hodgson with then strikers who aren't good enough to get them out the shit to snatch points (benteke!) and mardy zaha

They are linked with some decent youngsters though, strongly linked to eze, couple of them come off and they could get a buzz around them

Failing that they're going to slide 

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Oh good. The PL will once again contain a tinsy London team next year who can compete purely because they are London. 

Tottenham?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

thinking about it, its going to be a very interesting pre season for the championship playoff promoted club. (Fulham or Brentford)

play their last game on Tue 4th August (after a 49 game season - league/playoffs/final), then get ready for the Premiership restart on Sat 12th Sept.

So, 5 and a half weeks to get ready for the new season, and sign any players they want to prepare for the new season.

talk about a tight schedule.

Given the current rise in Covid cases it seems a tad optimistic to have some crowds back by October. If you have to wear a mask, be a meter from everyone else and not be able to go back to the concourse at half time frankly I don't think i would bother going back.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Given the current rise in Covid cases it seems a tad optimistic to have some crowds back by October. If you have to wear a mask, be a meter from everyone else and not be able to go back to the concourse at half time frankly I don't think i would bother going back.

With the government today cancelling the under 5000 gathering limit  pilot scheme...i cannot see any fans being allowed back into stadiums this year.

The whole structure of football,tv money and advertising is going to change hugely over the coming weeks.

Massive upturn in covid cases all over europe does not bode well for anyone.

I can see the FA extending TV rights to the BBC etc for a much bigger audience and that will be conducive to much higher advertising revenues and the "drinks break" will also be used as an advertising platform in some way to bring in more revenue.

The  huge sums of money for players for next season is not sustainable in the current climate..its only a matter of time until smaller clubs go under and this will have a massive effect on the bigger teams spending power

53 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Yeah exactly. Wont be fun at all. No away fans to banter with either. It will be proper lame.

I'd rather go and watch a local non league team than watch Villa in a socially distanced way if that occurs next season. They will be desperate for  the money. As this shows the Premier League could happily never have anyone inside the grounds and survive for years.

Â