U.S. Presidential Election 2020

maqroll

U.S. Presidential Election 2020  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

2 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Trump is up 8% in Ohio.

Many polls had Biden up 5 or 6.

Anyone think the Poll companies are taking the **ss ? 

Their predictions vs actual is not fir for purpose.  I hope their services are of a charitable nature.

I could have predicted it a lot closer than them I for one am 100% sure of that in recent polling.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, SuperTed said:

I think Trump wins either way sadly. If he wins then obviously he gets his second term, he loses and pushes this narrative of a fraudulent election and I reckon certain red states will reject the democratic authority and proclaim Trump as their leader still. 

Telling you this is coming 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Anyone think the Poll companies are taking the **ss ? 

Their predictions vs actual is not fir for purpose.  I hope their services are of a charitable nature.

I could have predicted it a lot closer than them I for one am 100% sure of that in recent polling.

They always seem to miss the population who vote for the madman but keep it to themselves.

If they are not going apply any kind of lessons learned then they are pointless.

• Like 1

It's scary how the leader of the second largest party in one of the world oldest, and most important democracies is putting votes into question. It reminds me of some madman totalitarian trying to win an election.. Sad state of affairs.

Edited by magnkarl

4 minutes ago, SuperTed said:

Any chance Biden takes NC? 

Very tight, but I’m guessing it just falls for Trump. Depends which districts are yet to report. 

31 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

how do you find out all the weird and wonderful local things that have been voted for?

That one was via the 538 live-blog (which I think is entering hibernation TBH), so I haven't seen too many reports on ballot initiatives. One other thing I have seen is that (I think three?) states have legalised the use of marijuana recreationally.

2 minutes ago, Michelsen said:

How? Please explain. Where is he getting the necessary 57 EC votes from?

the washington post is looking at the current votes counted. the shaded parts of the bar are the states where they are winning, so trump is currently ahead in enough states to win the EC. So as it stands, he would take Wisconsin (10), Michigan (16), Pennsylvania (20), North Caroline (15, but this one is very close atm) and Georgia (16) =77

I am aware that the votes that are still to be counted are the votes by mail, which are more likely to be in favour of Biden (hence Trumps claim to stop counting). But as it stands, Trump is ahead.

1 minute ago, AXD said:

the washington post is looking at the current votes counted. the shaded parts of the bar are the states where they are winning, so trump is currently ahead in enough states to win the EC. So as it stands, he would take Wisconsin (10), Michigan (16), Pennsylvania (20), North Caroline (15, but this one is very close atm) and Georgia (16) =77

I am aware that the votes that are still to be counted are the votes by mail, which are more likely to be in favour of Biden (hence Trumps claim to stop counting). But as it stands, Trump is ahead.

Sure, but the point is that you don't get prizes for being 'ahead'. 'Ahead' is not a meaningful term.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

It's a multitude of things isn't it? But this is politics now.  Shout loudest, lie the most, distort the smallest thing, talk a lot about nothing.

People don't like evidence, or research, they like tweet-length politics, where huge issues are narrowed down into "yes/no" answers, constant headlines with little details.

The precedence we're being set here is nothing but worrying. 

Idiocracy is a real thing which used to be satirical.

The polarisation, the "us/them", the anti-unifying nature of Trumps administration is scary, but not scary enough to push people into hiding, it's bringing out the worst, most tribal instincts we have.

Politicians using "meme phrases" from videogame origins like "get owned", is worryingly popular.

You have women voting for trump because they think biden hugging and kissing kids he meets is "creepy", despite trump doing similar and having the history Jimmy Saville would be proud of.

It's like a frat house popularity contest, that middle-aged people are taking part in and actively enjoying.  

It's also pretty evident that the huge problem for the Dems is gaining traction with the smaller counties with smaller towns - from what I saw, he lost almost all of the town's, but won the cities.

I feel now like I did when Boris landslided, when Brexit creeped over the line.. the democrats have failed to persuade the little guy, when they should be the lowest hanging fruit for a slightly more left-leaning choice.  Instead, we've got people who don't make much money, who are more likely to get sick, voting for big business protecting, environmentally damaging and health care cutting politics instead - it doesn't make sense.

Maybe the air of superiority and condescending nature of the global lefties is too annoying for the everyman.

Weird times.

You’ve summed it up well here. 

I always thought we were heading to a state of idocracy, I just didn’t expect it to happen so soon. 

• Thanks 1

Â