U.S. Presidential Election 2020

maqroll

U.S. Presidential Election 2020  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

5 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

I disagree that he his. (That's if you are serious and not being contentious for the sake of it.)

If you watch edited 10 second twitter clips he could look that way. But watch his town hall which replaced the 2nd debate. Calm, lucid, clear. Sure he has struggled with a stutter his whole life but he isn't senile.

I'm exaggerating slightly, but disagree that he's 100% all there. That's been obvious since his mental Corn Pop speech - imho. Andrew Yang or even Tulsi would have done Trump over with ease.

1 minute ago, Awol said:

I'm exaggerating slightly, but disagree that he's 100% all there. That's been obvious since his mental Corn Pop speech - imho. Andrew Yang or even Tulsi would have done Trump over with ease.

Gabbard or Yang? I'm sorry my friend, you are way off the mark here. There is absolutely no way they would have succeeded against Trump.

1 minute ago, TheAuthority said:

Gabbard or Yang? I'm sorry my friend, you are way off the mark here. There is absolutely no way they would have succeeded against Trump.

Probably projecting personal bias - really liked Yang!

Early shout was Trump via the EC, if I'd bet on it then wouldn't be cashing out yet..

My #spicyhottake is that the country is so polarised you'd probably be looking at very similar results no matter who the two candidates were.

Incredible to think that US presidential elections often used to result in blowouts. It's just a very 50-50 country now.

2 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Yes - there are a lot of people over here who love to be sold any old shit. (Just watch the infomercials.)

Trump has just managed to sell himself as the anti-hero Politician and he has built on years of poor education, years of Fox news hate, and years of struggle for the average blue collar worker. He has then presented himself as a swashbuckling Messiah and a lot of people have fallen for it hook line and sinker.

Perhaps the US is a victim of its own... something. I'm clutching at straws tbh.

Look, as I keep saying on here (and in the Tory party thread), if people’s only response to these election results is to say the other team are a bunch of racist idiots this is going to keep happening over and over. 

If you listen to Trump voters there are plenty who say things like “Trump is the first president in my lifetime to pull out troops out of Middle East wars” or “Democrat voters loot and burn down shops when things don’t go their way” or “The economy was going well until the virus, Biden’s tax hikes are not the answer now”. 

Those are not unreasonable points to make but any rational debate is lost in endless arguments about who’s more racist/sexist. 

• Like 2

I’m feeling good about Biden winning in Wisconsin, and if he does, Michigan and Pennsylvania as well. I’m not sure this is playing out too differently from what the polling predicted, but the amount of mail ballots and early voting makes it a weird election night. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Awol said:

Probably projecting personal bias - really liked Yang!

Early shout was Trump via the EC, if I'd bet on it then wouldn't be cashing out yet..

Yang had some interesting proposals for sure. But that would appeal for Millennials and progressive  30/40 somethings.

Trying to win what is a binary decision in a country this large with so many demographics is like trying to thread a needle. You have to appeal so many different ages groups, lifestyles etc. 

Sadly it looks like he'll either sneak the EC or it will be close enough that he can tie everyone up in litigation and take us all down a path we've never been before.

• Like 1

EDIT: I think the Latino turn against Democrats is probably going to be the demographic story of the election. GOP have overturned two Dem House incumbents in Miami and surroundings; okay, well you can say that these are a bit different, as the Latino vote in the area is heavily Cuban-American. But Trump also appears to be doing way better than expected in heavily Latino areas in Texas along the Mexican border. It's kind of wild that Dems finally thought they had turned Texas purple, after predicting it forever based on the increased Latino vote, only for them to lose everything they gained among white suburbanites among Latinos.

Edited by HanoiVillan

5 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Look, as I keep saying on here (and in the Tory party thread), if people’s only response to these election results is to say the other team are a bunch of racist idiots this is going to keep happening over and over. 

I'm not sure why you've quoted me as I didn't say that. Although you do regularly seem to quote me with something you think I've said that I haven't.

Please stop doing that - cheers!

1 minute ago, Awol said:

BBC saying the counters have been sent home for the night in Georgia. Given the stakes, that seems pretty crazy. 

Isn't that the state that was only allowed to start counting mail in ballots this morning at 10am? So they've been going for 16 hour straight.

Give 'em a break! :D

I was really hoping it would be all done bar the shouting by the time I was up for work. 
this sentence on the BBC makes me shudder

Donald Trump is so far projected to hold 21 states, including Texas and must-win Florida, having outperformed pollsters' predictions

6 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

If you listen to Trump voters there are plenty who say things like “Trump is the first president in my lifetime to pull out troops out of Middle East wars” or “Democrat voters loot and burn down shops when things don’t go their way” or “The economy was going well until the virus, Biden’s tax hikes are not the answer now”. 

Those are not unreasonable points to make but any rational debate is lost in endless arguments about who’s more racist/sexist. 

1. He didn't pull out of middle east wars. Troop numbers in the middle east are about the same - he just moved them around. It requires maybe 30 seconds of research to confirm.

2. Democrat voters loot and burn shops when things go their way - is this a BLM comment? Because black people being oppressed and also being (mostly) Democrat voters are mutually exclusive - surely that's obvious?

3. The economy was going great for some, not for others working two jobs on zero hours contracts in a country where healthcare is privatized. Biden's "tax hike" affects only people who make above a certain threshold, and on the odd occasion that I've breached it I would have been happy to pay extra tax if it meant poor kids in my neighborhood weren't going hungry.

They are unreasonable points, and as someone who has gentle ushered people toward actual facts (from Trump's own government, not MSNBC), let me say that there is a resistance to listening to the other side. I'm sure the listening part swings both ways, but the policy doesn't.

• Like 3

Just now, TheAuthority said:

Isn't that the state that was only allowed to start counting mail in ballots this morning at 10am? So they've been going for 16 hour straight.

Give 'em a break! :D

They've had four years to sleep. One job!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Vancvillan said:

3. The economy was going great for some, not for others working two jobs on zero hours contracts in a country where healthcare is privatized. Biden's "tax hike" affects only people who make above a certain threshold, and on the odd occasion that I've breached it I would have been happy to pay extra tax if it meant poor kids in my neighborhood weren't going hungry.

The Biden tax increase is for folks who earn over $400K so er... can you lend me $500? Pretty please? :D

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Vancvillan said:

Look, as I keep saying on here (and in the Tory party thread), if people’s only response to these election results is to say the other team are a bunch of racist idiots this is going to keep happening over and over

And to speak to this part directly - if you try and convey the hurt and raw emotions that someone might feel in the face of police brutality, you're called a snow flake. Taking a knee? Unpatriotic and weak.

At some point the people who support the party of "personal responsibility" have to actually take some.

Â