Championship 2020-2021 Thread

messi11

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Because the championship is shit

. . . but it isn't *that* shit. I remember expecting the likes of Amavi and Ayew to look far too good for the league when we went down, and they didn't. Poor form is poor form at the end of the day. Yes, you get 4 or 6 games a season against the likes of Wycombe, Rotherham or Burton, but the majority of matches are against big clubs with well-trained and organised sides. It's not like going to play in Qatar or something.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Because we were awful. Look at wba and fulham.

they drew with City and nearly drew with Liverpool. or what about Sheffield United 9th last season,

the Premier League champions got dicked 7-2 by a team in the Championship 18 months ago

16 minutes ago, Zatman said:

they drew with City and nearly drew with Liverpool. or what about Sheffield United 9th last season,

the Premier League champions got dicked 7-2 by a team in the Championship 18 months ago

Tbf though we have spent over 100m since then 

1 minute ago, Bob Funkhouse said:

I can't find the weimann topic but he has been ruled out for at least 9 months with an acl injury. He is 29.

I always liked him for his 100% effort every game. It’s like Trez now. Not the best technically but always puts a shift in.

Hope he makes quick, full recovery.

• Like 3

On 27/10/2020 at 20:45, Zatman said:

3 shots 3 goals

I think in the Championship a random team often puts a run together, could easily be this seasons Norwich

They do have some decent players, Meite has a decent strike rate for them, I assume Swift is playing given how hyped up he was during the summer when linked to us and Puscas was seen as a great signing because of his goals in the under 21 tournament last summer but he struggles to get a start. Can actually remember Paunovic as a player for Atletico Madrid although seems his general managerial record is average but certainly hit the ground running.

The Madjeski is a very plastic ground though, hate it as an away trip.

Wycombe completely outplayed Watford so not sure they've got enough hunger for top 2 even if their squad looks good. Been surprised how well Bournemouth have started, thought Tindall would struggle to step up to number one but he's doing o.k so far. Again they've kept more of their premier league squad than I expected.

Edited by VillaChris

10 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

. . . but it isn't *that* shit. I remember expecting the likes of Amavi and Ayew to look far too good for the league when we went down, and they didn't. Poor form is poor form at the end of the day. Yes, you get 4 or 6 games a season against the likes of Wycombe, Rotherham or Burton, but the majority of matches are against big clubs with well-trained and organised sides. It's not like going to play in Qatar or something.

It's all about motivation for me. Players used to the premier league days out at Emirates and Old Trafford get a bit of a shock with Rotherham away on a Tuesday so you need to change the squad around a bit and get a few players who can dig in and stick their foot in, took us about 12 months to actually worked that out. Took until midway through 17/18 before we had a squad capable of going away and getting wins in those sorts of places.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Genie said:

I always liked him for his 100% effort every game. It’s like Trez now. Not the best technically but always puts a shift in.

Hope he makes quick, full recovery.

Didn't really have the career I thought he would after 12/13 when he looked a really exciting young forward. Simply didn't develop technically enough for prmier league but he's decent enough in championship so that's a big blow for Bristol City.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, VillaChris said:

They do have some decent players, Meite has a decent strike rate for them, I assume Swift is playing given how hyped up he was during the summer when linked to us and Puscas was seen as a great signing because of his goals in the under 21 tournament last summer but he struggles to get a start. Can actually remember Paunovic as a player for Atletico Madrid although seems his general managerial record is average but certainly hit the ground running.

I think Swift has a long term injury. I think he only played 1 or 2 games at the start. 

• Like 1

It's supposedly the same people who tried to buy Newcastle, apparently worth £150b.

Does seems strange that Samuelson would be involved though, if they've got that kind of dough, given his reputation.

On 27/10/2020 at 19:11, MaVilla said:

Wth is going on with reading?

I saw one prediction at the start of the season that predicted them a 19th place finish lol.

Although the league predictions are always way off anyways so meh.

I said I had a sneaking feeling that they might be surprisingly good this year — think they had a decent run in at the end of last season with Bowen at the helm, but I didn't expect this. 

• 2 weeks later...

Former Villa youth keeper had his full senior debut for Rotherham this weekend in their 2-1 win against preston. Really happy for him as he's a great guy. :) He seems to have had a good game and could not do anything about the goal.

13,529 Rotherham Photos and Premium High Res Pictures - Getty Images

Â