Championship 2020-2021 Thread

messi11

11 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Derby rock bottom now, cant believe Cocu has not been sacked yet. Sort of have little sympathy after the way they kept playing Lawrence and Bennett after the crash incident last season

I believe Cocu is only still employed as the club is being sold and current owner doesn't want to pay the compensation so will leave it for the new owners to sort out. 

he's  a dead man walking for sure. 

3 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Monk sacked. He has had more clubs than Nicklaus. He has less than a 40% winning percentage as a manager and yet keeps on getting jobs. How many times does he need to fail in the Championship to stop getting jobs?

He didn't really fail though at SHA compared to Zola or Steve Cotterill though who were both hilariously clueless. Kept them up from bad position in 18/19 and then got them to mid table comfortably the next season so it was a bit like Rowett, sacked for stuff happening behind the scenes.

His one full season at Swansea he got them to 8th in premier league which was higher than Rodgers and Laudrup. Went wrong the following season but they then appointed Guidolin, Paul Clement and Bob Bradley who all did far worse jobs to eventually get them relegated.

Boro was a brief odd one and he did o.k at Leeds but their fans didn't really like him for walking out after one year, @Rino8 perhaps give more insight.

Even at Sheff Weds he won v Bournemouth just last week and I wouldn't say looking at their squad it's that amazing really. Carvahal had better with likes of Forresteri.

Unless I'm missing something obvious I don't think he's done a particularly bad job at any of the clubs he's been at but clearly a slippery character outside of matches.

21 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

He didn't really fail though at SHA compared to Zola or Steve Cotterill though who were both hilariously clueless. Kept them up from bad position in 18/19 and then got them to mid table comfortably the next season so it was a bit like Rowett, sacked for stuff happening behind the scenes.

His one full season at Swansea he got them to 8th in premier league which was higher than Rodgers and Laudrup. Went wrong the following season but they then appointed Guidolin, Paul Clement and Bob Bradley who all did far worse jobs to eventually get them relegated.

Boro was a brief odd one and he did o.k at Leeds but their fans didn't really like him for walking out after one year, @Rino8 perhaps give more insight.

Even at Sheff Weds he won v Bournemouth just last week and I wouldn't say looking at their squad it's that amazing really. Carvahal had better with likes of Forresteri.

Unless I'm missing something obvious I don't think he's done a particularly bad job at any of the clubs he's been at but clearly a slippery character outside of matches.

He had a good year with us but this was mostly down to signing Chris Wood. We were in the automatics at one point and fell off hard after Christmas. We had no real game plan other than Wood's a bit better than this league give the ball to him and it worked for a while but wasn't sustainable, then he left for the big money at Boro and got found out.

He's mates with an agent and gets whichever club he's with to sign his dead wood for a pay day, did it at both Leeds and Boro.

• Like 1

Monk has never been long enough at a club to prove himself. Ok he might have been unlucky in some of them to get sacked  but he has managed 5 clubs already and he is still in his early 40s. Certainly at Leeds, Boro and Shef Wed he has failed to deliver when they had comparatively big budgets in the championship. Personally I have more respect for someone like Alex Neil who gets on with his job at PNE but seems to be less of a 'big' name.

38 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Monk has never been long enough at a club to prove himself. Ok he might have been unlucky in some of them to get sacked  but he has managed 5 clubs already and he is still in his early 40s. Certainly at Leeds, Boro and Shef Wed he has failed to deliver when they had comparatively big budgets in the championship. Personally I have more respect for someone like Alex Neil who gets on with his job at PNE but seems to be less of a 'big' name.

Yes Neil is good but has hit a bit of a wall at PNE. In last few years they've sold Hugill and Calum Robinson to premier league for nearly 20m and he just gets about 2m cut of that to sign more players from league of Ireland so certainly operates with lowest budget of mid table teams.

I can't help but think that Monk would have been better advised *not* to build up a reputation as somebody who has er, questions over their ethics, and instead just did the job to the best of his ability. I say this because his record really isn't *that* bad, and yet in his mid 40's he is already running out of clubs who might be prepared to hire him.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I can't help but think that Monk would have been better advised *not* to build up a reputation as somebody who has er, questions over their ethics, and instead just did the job to the best of his ability. I say this because his record really isn't *that* bad, and yet in his mid 40's he is already running out of clubs who might be prepared to hire him.

Does have the feeling now he'll next pop up at some random club abroad like Mick McCarthy has done recent going to a Cypriot team (he'd have been a contender for Sheff Weds job but Nicosia isn't too bad this time of the year I guess....)

• Like 1

Looks as if the only reason this has been delayed is the takeover.

Talking of which I cant believe the EFL sanctioned this takeover after they have previously failed in similar suitability tests.

8 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Looks as if the only reason this has been delayed is the takeover.

Talking of which I cant believe the EFL sanctioned this takeover after they have previously failed in similar suitability tests.

But Rick Parry is in charge so any dodgy dealings is fine

Â