New Manager...

AvfcRigo82

Next managerial appointment should be...  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Next managerial appointment should be...

• Arsene Wenger
    • Chris Houghton
    • Sam Allerdyce
    • Maurico Pochettino
    • Sean Dyche
    • Manuel Pellegrini
    • Tony Pulis
    • John Terry
    • Leonardo Jardim
    • Ernesto Valverde

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/07/20 at 22:59

14 hours ago, Reivax_Villa said:

What is everyone’s thoughts on Roberto Martinez?

In a heartbeat.

Pioneer of Swansea's ascendancy to the top flight.

Cup winner with Wigan, also pulled off a miracle run earning survival there.

5th placed finish with Everton and a decent showing in the Europa League the following year.

51 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Firstly, I'm sorry you don't even know who the top dog is in Portugal.

To address the bold, outside of the top 5 biggest clubs in Portugal the average attendance is less than 10,000 for each team. There's not a team in the championship that has an average attendance of less than 10,000. That's many millions of revenue on a monthly basis that championship clubs get that Portugese (outside of the top 5) don't.

As for Ligue 1 it has been a while since I followed football outside of Aston Villa with keen interest but surely Lyon, Marseille, Monaco, Montpellier, Rennes, Lille and Bordeaux help Ligue 1 qualify as a better league than the championship.

You make a fair comment in regards to my knowledge of the Eredivisie and Premeira Liga though, I only ever watched 4 teams from Portugal with any regularity and less from the Dutch league. You still haven't convinced me though, however I respect your stance that I'm not really qualified to judge.

1) Do tell

2) no doubt the money is different. That's partially why the championship is a better league. Like I said. 

3) yeah don't agree with that. I've watched my share of Bordeaux, Rennes, Nantes, Lille, Caen, Marseille, Nice etc. And I never have been impressed. Ever. The level of the French league is pretty poor in my opinion. But each to their own. Average Norwegian players head to these French teams, and that speaks volumes. 

You are entitled to disagree mate, but it's just weird to me suggesting these leagues are better cause they really are not. Their best players even leave for England and the championship. Like Benrahma and Brentford. I'm not saying Brentford is a bigger club then Nice, Marseille, Porto or Ajax, but the league they are in is just a lot better imo. That it's money related I completely agree on, but it doesn’t change the fact it's better. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

The best Pragmatic manager who we can realistically get imo is Rafa Benitez. If we want to gamble on the next big thing then it's got to be Marcelo Gallardo. Yes he's linked to Barca but it's too early for him.  A left field appointment would be someone like Jorge Sampaoli but he would be risky though the fans will love the football we play. Marco Rose is another one who can build something here. 

Think Purslow will stick to UK based managers. Can't see past Chris Hughton at the moment

Unai Emery is one I've wondered about would be a big name that people crave, has big club experience, and has won things in the game, Arsenal were eighteen points better off this time last season when he was manager. Whether he'd come or be a good fit for us in the championship though I'm not sure.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, useless said:

Unai Emery is one I've wondered about would be a big name that people crave, has big club experience, and has won things in the game, Arsenal were eighteen points better off this time last season when he was manager. Whether he'd come or be a good fit for us in the championship though I'm not sure.

Wkwkwkw Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

1) Do tell

2) no doubt the money is different. That's partially why the championship is a better league. Like I said. 

3) yeah don't agree with that. I've watched my share of Bordeaux, Rennes, Nantes, Lille, Caen, Marseille, Nice etc. And I never have been impressed. Ever. The level of the French league is pretty poor in my opinion. But each to their own. Average Norwegian players head to these French teams, and that speaks volumes. 

You are entitled to disagree mate, but it's just weird to me suggesting these leagues are better cause they really are not. Their best players even leave for England and the championship. Like Benrahma and Brentford. I'm not saying Brentford is a bigger club then Nice, Marseille, Porto or Ajax, but the league they are in is just a lot better imo. That it's money related I completely agree on, but it doesn’t change the fact it's better. 

Benfica. Historically won more titles, recently won more titles, bigger crowds. Domestically it's Benfica,

I suppose Porto can boast two European titles in the last two decades, but Benfica has made two finals as well.

I'm no longer disagreeing with you, because as you've brought to my attention, I don't really have much basis for it as I don't follow said leagues.

Still, I'm trying to understand why you believe Ligue 1 is below standard, Neymar and Mbappe play in the league. You've got Fabregas playing at a mid-table Monaco.

I mean Terry was a notable acquisition for a championship side, and he was what, age 37? The only reason he came was to the division was to help rescue a PL mainstay.

When I was watching the Portugese teams Benfica had player like Matic, Gaitin, Witsel, Garay, Luisao, Cardozo, Lima and Porto had Falcao, Hulk, Varela, Moutinho, Guarin, Mangala, Otamendi, Cristian and James Rodriguez. Like the championship just doesn't offer that sort of talent, if so very few and far between, a few players throughout the league, not squads.

As for Norwegian's heading there, good for them, there's about a half dozen Norwegian's in the Championship too.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I will be amazed if the club insist on keeping Smith and not replacing him.

Be interesting to see who would replace him if we land up in the Championship.

Probably another puppet Purslow can toy with.

Be interesting to see if there is a vision and project with our owners and DOF or if we are going to go for one of the Jo-Jo managers who do OK in the Championship but are not good enough in the PL.

Really hope they can sell this project to a manager who is too good for the Championship. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, useless said:

Ideally we've already sorted out a DoF behind the scenes and they already have a manager in mind and players that we can sign.

All eyes on the owners next move once disaster has been confirmed.

I hope you're right.

Anyone that could do better than relegating a team spending this much... actually, that’s probably anybody then. Not terry please, him and dean need to be shipped out and the door slammed shut behind them

877C3883-F6A7-44BD-AEC8-5786E4869904.png

1 hour ago, useless said:

Ideally we've already sorted out a DoF behind the scenes and they already have a manager in mind and players that we can sign.

Ideally - but doubtful.

1 hour ago, useless said:

That would be the hope. One of the problems we had last summer was not knowing which division we were going to be building for. This time around it’s pretty certain that we have a head start on that. It would be criminally negligent if we aren’t already deep into the planning stage by now. 

11 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

That would be the hope. One of the problems we had last summer was not knowing which division we were going to be building for. This time around it’s pretty certain that we have a head start on that. It would be criminally negligent if we aren’t already deep into the planning stage by now. 

I think only Brian Little replacing big Ron was the only manager "lined up" I've known in over 45 years of following the villa.

I can already sense the next manager hunt turning into a farce - there's no obvious candidate - and time is short .....sacking DS as soon as relegation is confirmed and *hopefully* things will move swiftly after that.

17 minutes ago, hippo said:

I can already sense the next manager hunt turning into a farce - there's no obvious candidate - and time is short .....sacking DS as soon as relegation is confirmed and *hopefully* things will move swiftly after that.

What some fans would like to see:-  A new CEO, a new Sporting Director and a "punching above our weight" coach/managerial appointment. 

What the most likely outcome will be:-  Purslow keeps his role, Jesus resigns and John Terry replaces Dean Smith.

You can just see it now...