New Manager...

AvfcRigo82

Next managerial appointment should be...  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Next managerial appointment should be...

• Arsene Wenger
    • Chris Houghton
    • Sam Allerdyce
    • Maurico Pochettino
    • Sean Dyche
    • Manuel Pellegrini
    • Tony Pulis
    • John Terry
    • Leonardo Jardim
    • Ernesto Valverde

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/07/20 at 22:59

5 hours ago, thabucks said:

Pretty amazing HT team talk ... I reckon if he doesn’t get the Leipzig job he’ll go to someone like Dortmund. Would love to see more of this type of footage and would be great to see a smith team talk (out of interest ... ) 

I love the German language.

"Es ist nicht ein **** freundschaftspiel" and "Get **** schtuck in" are two of the greatest sentences I think I've ever heard.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

To say finishing 5th with that squad is overachieving is ridiculous.

I didn't say that, I was just correcting the inaccuracy. 

FWIW, I think Smith did a good, but not brilliant, job with us last season. 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

All this Smith got promotion for us is true but it was mainly down to us having the right players for the right job at the right time.

Tammy Abraham happened as well, at that point he helped shoot us way up to play offs, not to mention take us out of being a one man army with just Grealish, we became a two man army for a change, made one heck of a difference it did. We also had Mings who completely ran the defence and teams in the championship couldnt deal with him. The defence, midfield also had Tammy's support as TamTam was all over the pitch like a hurricane, could of called the bloke at that time the Tamzanian devil. We had alot go right for us at a time it could of as easy gone wrong, we were lucky.

Cant see us getting promotion within a season with what remains of this squad. Its going to take longer to train the replacements that come in next season and only way to hit the ground running is if we can somehow keep most here and add better to the squad.

A new coach or manager is going to no doubt want to take there own approach so I think it will be longer than a season before we get back to premier football, uncertainly wont happen under Smith if he stays with this current squad.

18 hours ago, thabucks said:

Pretty amazing HT team talk ... I reckon if he doesn’t get the Leipzig job he’ll go to someone like Dortmund. Would love to see more of this type of footage and would be great to see a smith team talk (out of interest ... ) 

We don't need this guy, we can just get Neil Warnock.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Haha 3

Purslow went out on  limb for Smith , he wanted a young English manager when the owners had other ideas.

I guess a lot will depend on whether Purslow is prepared to stand by Smith  ...and if the owners are prepared to stand by Purslow .

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

The 2016 relegation was supposed to humble some fans. 

Seems to have done the opposite 

I know, I dont get it. 

I hear "well if Everton can get Ancelotti then we should be targeting a top manager" but Everton havent been outside the top 11 since before Lerner took over in 2006 and generally a solid top 8 team with European intentions whereas we were fighting to get 40 points every season and keep our heads above water and eventually didnt.

27 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I think this season has shown me that Villa fans have an overinflated perception of where we are in football. 

We used to laugh at other teams fans who thought they were bigger than they are and I thought generally we, as fans, were mostly understanding where we are in the world of football but this season reading a lot of fans on this website has shown me we are no different.  That shouldnt surprise me but it does a little bit. 

We were close to not being able to pay our tax bill not that long ago and have been poorly managed both at board/ownership level through to management for a long time....feels like decades but let's say at least since 2006 when Lerner took over.  We have been spiraling down because of bad decisions.  Yes we had that initial spell of three sixth place finishes but we all agree MON left us in a bad state.  Then look at how poor we have been, look how many points we have had in the PL in the last ten years and we knew off the pitch wasnt a rosy bed of flowers either.

We have new owners that havent been here long and for me have really started well with investment into the club.  yes they will make mistakes but for the time being I will give them a break because they are putting their money to back up their mouth.  Dean hasnt been here for 18 months yet and surprisingly (and probably to Dean's detriment) got promoted straight away which was probably a season too quickly given where we have come from over the last decade and the state Bruce left the squad in and how we had to rebuild in the summer.  Dean hasnt helped himself I get that and has shown naviety but I'm happy to stick with him. 

We are coming from a bad place over the last decade and Villa fans are still living off history not where we are at present.  I dont want to sack Dean and replace him with another the same mould and have to start again, just pointless.  Those that think we can strive for a top manager are living in cloud cuckoo land. 

league history.JPG

If i saw some kind of progress then id agree. We have been awful at everything aspect of our game. If we went down with a fight then i would have been open to keepibg smith.

But nick he has been bloody hopeless in this league. Its a huge gamble to keep him when we are relegated. We stuck with brice and that back fired. Can see the same happening with smith

All makes for really depressing reading, especially having kids who live in the instant must have world to keep them on the straight and narrow support wise. Aston Villa used to be something so special 

20 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

If i saw some kind of progress then id agree. We have been awful at everything aspect of our game. If we went down with a fight then i would have been open to keepibg smith.

But nick he has been bloody hopeless in this league. Its a huge gamble to keep him when we are relegated. We stuck with brice and that back fired. Can see the same happening with smith

Oh I agree, sticking with Smith is a huge gamble.  I also think bringing somebody else maybe even more of a gamble because so many have failed badly and we have really tried different types.  Since MON weve had Houillier, McLeish, Lambert, Sherwood, Garde, Di Matteo and Bruce.  There are really some different styles there over the last 10 years so we have tried and I wouldnt call any of them successes, maybe we couldve done more under Houillier given more time but the rest have been poor.  So do we go back on the management roundabout again and pick another or stick with somebody who got us promoted, has really struggled this season but now has a squad and has done it before if we do get relegated and need promotion. 

He's been here 18 months so I think he should get more time, he now has more experience and now he, management and the board can work on the mistakes....get promoted next season and be ready this time for the PL.

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Oh I agree, sticking with Smith is a huge gamble.  I also think bringing somebody else maybe even more of a gamble because so many have failed badly and we have really tried different types.  Since MON weve had Houillier, McLeish, Lambert, Sherwood, Garde, Di Matteo and Bruce.  There are really some different styles there over the last 10 years so we have tried and I wouldnt call any of them successes, maybe we couldve done more under Houillier given more time but the rest have been poor.  So do we go back on the management roundabout again and pick another or stick with somebody who got us promoted, has really struggled this season but now has a squad and has done it before if we do get relegated and need promotion. 

He's been here 18 months so I think he should get more time, he now has more experience and now he, management and the board can work on the mistakes....get promoted next season and be ready this time for the PL.

Bruce didn't get much more time.

23 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

All makes for really depressing reading, especially having kids who live in the instant must have world to keep them on the straight and narrow support wise. Aston Villa used to be something so special 

Yep I know that feeling.......almost makes it worse that I cant go to the ground and watch the team, despite how bad they have been.  Modern football and modern society has killed some of the special around football that I loved.  I'm still in love with it but it is different now

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Yep I know that feeling.......almost makes it worse that I cant go to the ground and watch the team, despite how bad they have been.  Modern football and modern society has killed some of the special around football that I loved.  I'm still in love with it but it is different now

Its like being married, at the start its all fresh and new and exciting but after a while when that feeling diminishes you have to find a lower footing of acceptance, or love which by definition can not be as intense as at the start. The Villa to me started out as Christie Brinkley and has over the years has become Helen Mirren, still loverable but gone a bit old and saggy 

• Haha 1