New Manager...

AvfcRigo82

Next managerial appointment should be...  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Next managerial appointment should be...

• Arsene Wenger
    • Chris Houghton
    • Sam Allerdyce
    • Maurico Pochettino
    • Sean Dyche
    • Manuel Pellegrini
    • Tony Pulis
    • John Terry
    • Leonardo Jardim
    • Ernesto Valverde

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/07/20 at 22:59

12 minutes ago, romavillan said:

How much per player is that though? We had a turnover of 30 players more or less. Smith should stay, in a lot of ways he's paying for getting us promoted first go to then face the most ridiculous summer by fault of the previous regime at the club. We had to gamble on players in the price bracket we were forced into because of the sheer numbers we needed, not enough of the gambles worked. We are 5 players short of being competitive at this level. I would back Smith to keep a core of a team together, be backed to build on that and to get us back up again with a squad that will need some additions but not a total rebuild.

All fair points - all I'm saying it wouldn't be a great surprise is Smith was sacked at the end of the season. 

A good % managers who get relegated get the push -if it's fair or not doesn't usually come into it.

52 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

No surprise he fell out with a big character like Rafa.

Or do you  mean the self serving Rafa who only cares about himself who will throw anyone under the bus to make himself look like the victim regardless ? 

He's more likely to go than stay, I think people have bought too much into the idea that it's not his fault that the squad isn't very good.

But one it's not as bad as it's shown, Smith himself hasn't helped with that especially the way he's been chopping and changing the team all season to the point where nobody has a clue what our best team or even formation is, how players are meant to develop an understanding with each other in those conditions I'm not sure, something we needed more than any other team since most players were new to each other.

And twoo Smith himself was very involved in the process of the signing of players and also choosing those that we didn't sign.

Generously and forgivingly I think the best argument in his defence is the injuries to Wesley, Heaton, and McGinn, I'm almost certain we'd be in a better position now if they had have stayed fit, and if it turns out that we do down say within three or four points from safety then I think it would be fair to say that if it wasn't for those injuries there would have been a very good chance that we'd have stay up.

Edited by useless

5 minutes ago, useless said:

He's more likely to go than stay, I think people have bought too much into the idea that it's not his fault that the squad isn't very good.

He would have gone already if that was the case.

Things were bad enough during Christmas

We had a very good chance of surviving at Christmas and Heaton, Wesley and McGinn hadn't picked up there injuries at that point. It's only now that we're beginning to be cut adrift, and now is pretty much impossible to change the manager, because there's not enough time between games for one to make an impact, only desperate managers would consider it, and even then would probably insist that they have a longer term deal.

If season hadn't have been postponed he would have gone had we failed to get a result against Chelsea, in which case it's very likely that he wouldn't be our manager now.

Besides plenty of clubs wait until the end of the season to sack a manager despite not being very good throughout the season, we've done it a number of times ourself.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, KH** said:

Pochettino would be lovely. But I just don’t see that as realistic, but trust me I’d love to proven wrong on that! 

As much chance as John Terry joining us after becoming a free agent all those years ago...

If he was one loss away against Chelsea from the sack, it was a big call not to just bite the bullet and get rid as soon as the break was started. A new manager would have had 11 games to get 11 or so points. Not that big an ask.

1 minute ago, mykeyb said:

If he was one loss away against Chelsea from the sack, it was a big call not to just bite the bullet and get rid as soon as the break was started. A new manager would have had 11 games to get 11 or so points. Not that big an ask.

Because we would have looked like a scummy club sacking a guy at the start of a global pandemic

Pressure on the new manager would have been incredible as well especially as would probably have been somebody like Pardew

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Because we would have looked like a scummy club sacking a guy at the start of a global pandemic

Pressure on the new manager would have been incredible as well especially as would probably have been somebody like Pardew

Yeah -i kind think that. People were losing mom's , dad's, sons etc to a virus with no cure.

Aston Villa sack manager because he couldn't win enough football matches.....wouldn't have looked great.

Plus the practicalities of scooping a good manager in lockdown -there was even a suggestion the season would be voided.

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Yeah -i kind think that. People were losing mom's , dad's, sons etc to a virus with no cure.

Aston Villa sack manager because he couldn't win enough football matches.....wouldn't have looked great.

Plus the practicalities of scooping a good manager in lockdown -there was even a suggestion the season would be voided.

Villa sacking a manager who lost his Dad would have looked even worse for PR

We were never going to sack Smith in the middle of a pandemic, would have been a PR disaster. At that point we didn't even know if the season was going to continue.

Edited by useless
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, useless said:

We were never going to sack Smith in the middle of a pandemic, would have been a PR disaster. At that point we didn't even know if the season was going to continue.

Sentimentality is what get's you relegated.

Watford sacked 2 managers within a season. Absolutely ruthless.

Yes but as far as I'm aware no one was sacking their manager whilst we were in full lockdown. Watford sacked their managers months before it all broke out, plus they were cut adrift at the bottom of the table, if we were in that position we probably would have sacked Smith as well, but as it was we were still in with a good chance of surviving.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Sentimentality is what get's you relegated.

Watford sacked 2 managers within a season. Absolutely ruthless.

I agree a bit of that is what's required. In the last 10 years I can't remember a villa manager being sacked to early.

The sacking of Nigel Adkins (Southampton) looked a poor and harsh decision at the time........

18 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

That's an impressive wall display there.

Is it yours?

No I got it off Google lol. I used to have a different plaque which I made in school but my ex took it along with one of my Villa shirts. Allegedly she still has the plaque sitting proud on one of her walls and still wears my shirt. Bya**** 😂🤣

20 hours ago, Zatman said:

Villa sacking a manager who lost his Dad would have looked even worse for PR

So,at the time that S.Bruce was sacked,if he had of lost his mum/dad we would of kept him ?!

22 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

As much chance as John Terry joining us after becoming a free agent all those years ago...

The difference is that JT was at the end of his career and Pochettino isn’t anywhere near the end of his. I’m not saying it’s impossible to get him if we stay up and write a big enough cheque. Unlikely though.