New Manager...

AvfcRigo82

Next managerial appointment should be...  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Next managerial appointment should be...

• Arsene Wenger
    • Chris Houghton
    • Sam Allerdyce
    • Maurico Pochettino
    • Sean Dyche
    • Manuel Pellegrini
    • Tony Pulis
    • John Terry
    • Leonardo Jardim
    • Ernesto Valverde

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/07/20 at 22:59

On 05/07/2020 at 16:42, KenjiOgiwara said:

Eresdivisie. No chance. Not better than championship. Anyone claiming that aren't watching it. 

Premeira ditto. They both got a few good teams and decent players, but the rest of the league is a pile of shit. Not even close to the Championship. Miles apart in quality. Quite baffled it's even suggested. 

The 4 big ones for sure. Possibly Ligue 1 as well, though I'm personally not sure about that. 

Which leads us to 5th or 6th, which is what I said. 

You're right I don't watch either, haven't done in a long time either. I still think you're wrong, you've got bigger clubs in the second tier of England, but not better.

Ajax should've been CL finalists season before the current one and very nearly made it into the knockout phases this season too, you've got 5 teams competitive with them in the Eredivisie. I can't count a single championship club to knockout Real Madrid and Juventus in the most important European competition, and then back it up the following year by rivaling Chelsea, Valencia and Lille for another spot in the knockout phases. Then I'd argue that a club like Twente is not so far behind a club like Charlton. So other than revenue and fan bases I don't know what you're basing your argument on.

• Like 1

You’d imagine Smith will be gone the morning after the West Ham game. If that is the case I hope the board have someone lined up straight away. It will be a very short preseason/rest period before the next season starts. We can’t afford to waste a few weeks of that time without a manager in place 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Reivax_Villa said:

What is everyone’s thoughts on Roberto Martinez?

I could take Belgium to a world cup semi final with the squad he had/has. Biggest spoofed in the game and great to see his disciples graeme jones and henry been found out too.

• Like 1

The best Pragmatic manager who we can realistically get imo is Rafa Benitez. If we want to gamble on the next big thing then it's got to be Marcelo Gallardo. Yes he's linked to Barca but it's too early for him.  A left field appointment would be someone like Jorge Sampaoli but he would be risky though the fans will love the football we play. Marco Rose is another one who can build something here. 

4 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

The best Pragmatic manager who we can realistically get imo is Rafa Benitez. If we want to gamble on the next big thing then it's got to be Marcelo Gallardo. Yes he's linked to Barca but it's too early for him.  A left field appointment would be someone like Jorge Sampaoli but he would be risky though the fans will love the football we play. Marco Rose is another one who can build something here. 

Can’t see Rafa coming here. Would be my first choice though 

Edited by deeps

2 minutes ago, deeps said:

Can’t see Rafa coming here. Would be my first choice though 

He won’t if purslow is here they fell out when at Liverpool, I’d love Rafa here 

• Like 1

I doubt Benitez would leave his £12m a year job in China to manage in the championship, maybe if he was out of work we'd have a chance but even then it would be doubtful. But I do think we need to get someone that's on a similar level to Benitez, if we want to improve need to stop appointing average managers. If we can't manage that would rather try something different like Marsch or Gallardo, or someone along those lines, think I read somewhere that Marsch and Edens are from the same part of the US.

3 minutes ago, useless said:

I doubt Benitez would leave his £12m a year job in China to manage in the championship, maybe if he was out of work we'd have a chance but even then it would be doubtful. But I do think we need to get someone that's on a similar level to Benitez, if we want to improve need to stop appointing average managers. If we can't manage that would rather try something different like Marsch or Gallardo, or someone along those lines, think I read somewhere that Marsch and Edens are from the same part of the US.

Marsch actually, probably attainable. RB Salzburg dominating in Austria doesn't really get you much credit in the bank, kinda like Celtic in Scotland. Seems to of been kept in the Red Bull structure a long time now and unless Nagelsmann is Bayern bound, can't see him leaving Leipzig anytime soon. But look the whole thing looks tearing up here ( every year seemingly with us ) Red Bull teams are a well oiled machine from top to bottom. It's not just a manager.

5 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Some of the names bandied around here are bordering on the insane. Pochetino and Gallardo - really get their juices flowing managing a championship bound team still dining out on Leeds '96.

Gallardo despite promising has only managed in Argentina so would be attainable for us. His next move is to a big club. We're rich enough (constantly being reminded of this).

2 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Either way, I really hope we don't go down the boring predictable route and go for someone like Howe or Dyche. 🙄

49 point Burnley heading into their 5 consecutive PL season, Dyche ? Yeah that would be just awful, wouldn't it.

• Like 2

Just now, Johnnyp said:

49 point Burnley heading into their 5 consecutive PL season, Dyche ? Yeah that would be just awful, wouldn't it.

There's no guarantee it'd even work out for us. Remember how Lambert did a fantastic job at Norwich? Or how Smith did a decent job with Walsall/Brentford? Too often we just go for relatively safe overachieving domestic managers and it never works out.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Rose just took Monchengladbach to the champions league. C'mon mate. It's not football manager.

9 hours ago, A'Villan said:

You're right I don't watch either, haven't done in a long time either. I still think you're wrong, you've got bigger clubs in the second tier of England, but not better.

Ajax should've been CL finalists season before the current one and very nearly made it into the knockout phases this season too, you've got 5 teams competitive with them in the Eredivisie. I can't count a single championship club to knockout Real Madrid and Juventus in the most important European competition, and then back it up the following year by rivaling Chelsea, Valencia and Lille for another spot in the knockout phases. Then I'd argue that a club like Twente is not so far behind a club like Charlton. So other than revenue and fan bases I don't know what you're basing your argument on.

Firstly lets distinguish bigger and better. Ajax, Porto, PSG are bigger clubs than any championship club I'd say. Bigger than us as well. And they are definitely better at this football stuff. Then you got challengers from time to time in Benfica, SCL, PSV, Fey. What clubs are you saying that's bigger in the championship? 

But that's not the point. The point is that these leagues aren't better than the championship. You don't become a better league cause you have a few better teams, when the rest are awful.

So Eresdivisie or Premeira aren't better leagues by a country mile and anyone claiming that aren't watching them. Like you just said you didn't, no offence. 

And fwiw Rosenborg were in the CL 12 seasons or something straight. By far the best Scandinavian team I've seen in the CL. The knocked out Dortmund, Milan. Beat Real Madrid ++ sold fecking loads of players abroad like John Carew. But that didn't make the Norwegian league any good. On the contrary. What then happens is that one or a few clubs hoover a countries talents and the rest of the league is absolute shite. That's where the championship is special cause it's highly competitive, high tempoed and you won't find easy matches. You might not have the team that's all the way up there, cause they obviously get promoted, or the technical finesse you see in for instance Eresdivisie, Premeira or Ligue 1, but the average quality is much higher than what you find in Portugal or Netherlands. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Firstly lets distinguish bigger and better. Ajax, Porto, PSG are bigger clubs than any championship club I'd say. Bigger than us as well. And they are definitely better at this football stuff. Then you got challengers from time to time in Benfica, SCL, PSV, Fey. What clubs are you saying that's bigger in the championship? 

But that's not the point. The point is that these leagues aren't better than the championship. You don't become a better league cause you have a few better teams, when the rest are awful.

So Eresdivisie or Premeira aren't better leagues by a country mile and anyone claiming that aren't watching them. Like you just said you didn't, no offence. 

And fwiw Rosenborg were in the CL 12 seasons or something straight. By far the best Scandinavian team I've seen in the CL. The knocked out Dortmund, Milan. Beat Real Madrid ++ sold fecking loads of players abroad like John Carew. But that didn't make the Norwegian league any good. On the contrary. What then happens is that one or a few clubs hoover a countries talents and the rest of the league is absolute shite. That's where the championship is special cause it's highly competitive, high tempoed and you won't find easy matches. You might not have the team that's all the way up there, cause they obviously get promoted, or the technical finesse you see in for instance Eresdivisie, Premeira or Ligue 1, but the average quality is much higher than what you find in Portugal or Netherlands. 

Firstly, I'm sorry you don't even know who the top dog is in Portugal.

To address the bold, outside of the top 5 biggest clubs in Portugal the average attendance is less than 10,000 for each team. There's not a team in the championship that has an average attendance of less than 10,000. That's many millions of revenue on a monthly basis that championship clubs get that Portugese (outside of the top 5) don't.

As for Ligue 1 it has been a while since I followed football outside of Aston Villa with keen interest but surely Lyon, Marseille, Monaco, Montpellier, Rennes, Lille and Bordeaux help Ligue 1 qualify as a better league than the championship.

You make a fair comment in regards to my knowledge of the Eredivisie and Premeira Liga though, I only ever watched 4 teams from Portugal with any regularity and less from the Dutch league. You still haven't convinced me though, however I respect your stance that I'm not really qualified to judge.

Edited by A'Villan