New Manager...

AvfcRigo82

Next managerial appointment should be...  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Next managerial appointment should be...

• Arsene Wenger
    • Chris Houghton
    • Sam Allerdyce
    • Maurico Pochettino
    • Sean Dyche
    • Manuel Pellegrini
    • Tony Pulis
    • John Terry
    • Leonardo Jardim
    • Ernesto Valverde

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/07/20 at 22:59

1 hour ago, useless said:

Just because Dyche has done well for Burnley it doesn't mean to say he's the right manager for us, appointing him wouldn't be that much different from appointing Pullis when he was doing well with Stoke, or Allardyce when he was doing well with Bolton.

We've been down the road of giving the job to managers that have done well at smaller clubs with the idea of 'if they can do well at those clubs imagine what they coud do at a club with more money', several times before, you could put all of Bruce, Lambert, Smith and McLeish in that category, and ultimately it hasn't worked out.

I don't think there's much point in getting rid of Smith unless it's to try something new, or to give it to a manager that's undoubtedly better.

I totally agree. We need to show a bit of imagination and ambition for once. If the biggest investment we make all summer is to sign a top class coach then I would be all for it! No point owning a load of race horses if you haven’t got anyone to race them!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Zatman said:

so was Paul Lambert apparently and Steve Bruce

Dyche would be an absolute disaster

Funnily enough you said the other day you didnt want a British manager but now Dyche will be great

Lambert has achieved NOTHING at pl level.compared to dyche. 

The same bruce whi has safely kept a poor Newcastle side up comfortably?

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Lambert has achieved NOTHING at pl level.compared to dyche. 

The same bruce whi has safely kept a poor Newcastle side up comfortably?

Both were shit at Villa

I remember the cringe of Villa fans shouting for Lambert when we played Norwich in McLeish last game, he was brought in as a messiah. Brightest manager in Britain

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Both were shit at Villa

I remember the cringe of Villa fans shouting for Lambert when we played Norwich in McLeish last game, he was brought in as a messiah. Brightest manager in Britain

Lambert was doing a very good job at Norwich. Iat the time it seemed like a good appointment. Easy saying it was wrong now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Lambert was doing a very good job at Norwich. Iat the time it seemed like a good appointment. Easy saying it was wrong now.

Thats why I am saying it now Dyche will be a flop ;) 

I like the look of Marcelo Gallardo. Linked with Barcelona at the moment and he's been River Plates most successful manager ever. He's gonna go to a big european league at some point. 

It's funny that two of the names mentioned (Allardyce & Rednapp) I would have reviled at a few years ago. Now 🤷‍♂️

I have a feeling that Purslow is going to stick with Smith and continue their slow rebuild of Villa either in the PL or the Champo. 

Unless FFP gets some sort of relaxation for COVID and Purslow convinces the owners to f***ing go for it.

13 hours ago, useless said:

I wouldn't want Wilder for the same reason I wouldn't want Dyche. Have to stop going for managers just because they've done better than expected at unfancied teams, Houllier asides that's pretty much what we've been doing since O'Neill left and all it hasn't got us anywhere other than going around in circles.

If they do decide to rid of Smith:

This for me. Instead of going for flavour of the month, we need to find our own gem. Going for a wilder despite us not having the players to play his system and style would be brain-dead. Going for a dyche with the players we have would be brain-dead.

We've selected a style, we haven't played to that style this season but we have a vision of how we want to play. We have to stick to that vision and build around it. 

4 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

We've selected a style, we haven't played to that style this season but we have a vision of how we want to play. We have to stick to that vision and build around it. 

Completely agree, and this is also why it's lunacy to get rid of Smith. 

We've got a too poor squad for this division. That simple. We might need new players, a year in the championship, but Deano is a key part in our new philosophy. It makes no sense switching him out because a few fans think we deserve to be in the top division, or winning trophies for that matter. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Completely agree, and this is also why it's lunacy to get rid of Smith. 

We've got a too poor squad for this division. That simple. We might need new players, a year in the championship, but Deano is a key part in our new philosophy. It makes no sense switching him out because a few fans think we deserve to be in the top division, or winning trophies for that matter. 

Mjvilla is totally right, but I don't think it's an argument against getting rid of Smith, it's an argument for getting in a manager that fits with the philosophy we're trying to implement (so not Dyche, Wilder etc).

3 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Mjvilla is totally right, but I don't think it's an argument against getting rid of Smith, it's an argument for getting in a manager that fits with the philosophy we're trying to implement (so not Dyche, Wilder etc).

I think it is. Point is that there's not a chance in hell a new manager would suddenly learn Wesley, Trez, Hourihane, Targett, Lansbury, El Ghazi, Hause etc. to suddenly become PL footballers. They are managers, not magicians. 

People often site certain managers from other clubs as the right way to go. How well they are doing, how well they have drilled a system into their players etc. But they completely ignore it's taken them time to get there. And very often they've had rough season, but clubs have stuck by them. In this club fans tend to hound managers out at the first sight of a poor season. We've had a very good cup run and just surviving this season would have been deemed a success. I'm not sure what people expected to be perfectly honest. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

44 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

I agree. But Smith isn't the right man for this style.

We need someone of a higher pedigree and caliber.

We've chosen the path of attacking football and we need to stick with it.

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I think it is. Point is that there's not a chance in hell a new manager would suddenly learn Wesley, Trez, Hourihane, Targett, Lansbury, El Ghazi, Hause etc. to suddenly become PL footballers. They are managers, not magicians. 

People often site certain managers from other clubs as the right way to go. How well they are doing, how well they have drilled a system into their players etc. But they completely ignore it's taken them time to get there. And very often they've had rough season, but clubs have stuck by them. In this club fans tend to hound managers out at the first sight of a poor season. We've had a very good cup run and just surviving this season would have been deemed a success. I'm not sure what people expected to be perfectly honest. 

As far as I am concerned I expected anything from 17th up NOT from 17th down.I also expected a team that would show some fight and now with the position we are in I expect a team that at least fights to try to stay up.

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

They are managers, not magicians. 

There certainly are magicians out there.

Klopp has made a very ordinary midfield look world class. Henderson, Milner, Wijnaldum. 2 years ago you would never say those are title winning midfielders.

Ferguson made players like Cleverley, Fletcher and O'Shea look like top class players. Look at what happened to them when they left.

Wilder is getting a lot out of a championship squad.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1