Corona Summer holidays - Inspire me

KenjiOgiwara

So summer is here. What's your plans? 

Guess most people will have some time off. 

We had plans to travel in Europe this summer, but that bat eating rocket polisher has killed that good and proper. 

What's your plans? 

Was supposed to be celebrating my 50th with an 8 country pub crawl in 1 day  .... As its middle of August ,  technically its still doable and I haven't' cancelled it yet but my main concern is its pretty irresponsible for 12 of us to potentially spread something around 8 countries , in the unlikely event one of us has it ... I seem to be a minority voice of 1 with this concern  , but I'll re-evaluate middle of July and make a decision then ...

Iceland end of August with the family , that seems to be Ok there , they are actively encouraging people to visit as I've read things .

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

Boring answer, stay close to home and spend on the local economy. Good thing is, southern Sweden is rather nice in the summer.

That and our neighboring countries have more or less made us temporary "persona non grata" :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Was supposed to be celebrating my 50th with an 8 country pub crawl in 1 day  .... As its middle of August ,  technically its still doable and I haven't' cancelled it yet but my main concern is its pretty irresponsible for 12 of us to potentially spread something around 8 countries , in the unlikely event one of us has it ... I seem to be a minority voice of 1 with this concern  , but I'll re-evaluate middle of July and make a decision then ...

Iceland end of August with the family , that seems to be Ok there , they are actively encouraging people to visit as I've read things .

By ‘an 8 country pub crawl’ I thought you meant 8 nice little pubs in the countryside. I thought “oh that sounds nice”

I should have known, it’s tonyh, of course it’s 8 different countries :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Was suppose to be going to Florida for Honeymoon in September/October, however had to postpone wedding (was meant to be last weekend) and so getting that moved. Virgin Holidays are being a nightmare and not responding yet... Very poor reviews on how they are dealing with all of the cancellations/rearrangements. Luckily only paid deposit and not the full whack. Best advice? Don't book with Virgin! 

• Like 2

Lakes in the south-east (We have a small house there)

The sea in the north (Gdansk/Gdynia/Sopot)

And Warsaw because my Mrs hasn't really ever gone

Then our rescheduled Gran Canaria trip in October

got 2 months parental leave to use up (god bless ze germans)

was looking at places to spend a month that would be interesting but not necessarily with lots of travelling, Vietnam for example, also looking at California but think cost of living will kill that idea, that's to compare with my wifes wish of going on her first and maybe only all inclusive holiday for which mexico was winning (but 2 weeks in mexico will blow a month in Vietnam out of the water cost wise)

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

A seaside town. Weymouth and Hunstanton. I am banking the money and effectively postponing my 50th in October till May. 

I went to Hunstanton last week . You can see the sun set over the wash even though you're on the East coast.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Lakes in the south-east (We have a small house there)

The sea in the north (Gdansk/Gdynia/Sopot)

And Warsaw because my Mrs hasn't really ever gone

Then our rescheduled Gran Canaria trip in October

We kinda wanted to go to Poland and Germany, but as the office of Foreign Affairs or whatever it's called, got almost every country in Europe (except Finland, Denmark and Iceland) flagged as not recommended destinations, we don't really feel like doing it. It's not as much that we are afraid to get sick by Covid, but more a case of our insurance most likely wouldn't cover anything if we breached the recommendations. And if the boarders started closing again it would SUCK to be stuck in Krakow or something and not be able to fly home. 

29 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Sopot

Still fondly regarded as our best ever lads trip  ..and its against some pretty strong competition :)

Quite a small resort , but it was just so chilled and cheap  ... and one club that had closed literally re-opened the doors for the 8 of us, and we had a 2 hour party with the bar staff and the DJ until 6am ....

followed by some skinny dipping in the sea

embarrassing GIF

Gdansk was a bit more civilized , took the train there for  a day trip , visited the Solidarity museum to tick off the culture part of the trip , then got drunk on the waterfront

Edited by tonyh29

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

We kinda wanted to go to Poland and Germany, but as the office of Foreign Affairs or whatever it's called, got almost every country in Europe (except Finland, Denmark and Iceland) flagged as not recommended destinations, we don't really feel like doing it. It's not as much that we are afraid to get sick by Covid, but more a case of our insurance most likely wouldn't cover anything if we breached the recommendations. And if the boarders started closing again it would SUCK to be stuck in Krakow or something and not be able to fly home. 

Nothing wrong with being stuck in Krakow!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

What were the 8 countries out of interest?

You've probably mentioned it before but i've had a lot of beer and cakes in the last few months so my memory is jaded. 

Genuinely, in January, I was thinking of Dorset in the summer. Looking at pictures today, any break in the UK is going to be hell this year. Maybe wait until later in the year and see. You've got 9,000,000 being paid to stay off work at the minute so any nice day is naturally going to be carnage. 

Â