Corona Summer holidays - Inspire me

KenjiOgiwara

Like many I am working and have to wear a mask. I work every day with about 700 people in the factory. There are literally a 100 clean stations in the factory. Each worker has to clean down their station before and after the end of the shift. No one is tested daily.

A year later why cant  I get on a plane with the same people tested before we go, wear my mask on said plane, go into a bar over there, sanitise before entering, sit on a beach in the Sun (I miss the sun) come home and be tested before I go back into circulation. Safer than what I am doing now.

I just want to go on holiday 🌞

I heard a lot of people last summer who went overseas saying it felt, and was, much safer than being here. Hotels, shops and restaurants all took cleanliness and social distancing very seriously.

I went to Somerset for a long weekend last summer and called into Weston on the way. The place was RAMMED. Absolutely no social distancing, very little cleaning and mask wearing. We couldn’t get out fast enough as it felt really unsafe. I know it’s just 1 persons account, but the view that it’s safer here than going away has major flaws.

• Like 1

The UK will be rammed this summer. Going abroad will be a lot safer. I don't usually like going abroad either because of the various issues around air travel but it'll be far better being around the pool in Majorca than it will be crowded inside a chip shop in Tenby.

• Like 1

Every rammed UK resort, every icecream queue and every cafe, crappy local zoo, stick of rock and pink cowboy hat vendor is a job and a chance to make a local business survive.

Plenty of time in the future to give your money to Michael O’Leary and Richard Branson.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Every rammed UK resort, every icecream queue and every cafe, crappy local zoo, stick of rock and pink cowboy hat vendor is a job and a chance to make a local business survive.

Plenty of time in the future to give your money to Michael O’Leary and Richard Branson.

Fair point

47 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Also to the staff that work for them, Many reps are from UK or work at UK airports on furlough at the moment 

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Quite a lot of non-millionaires working for UK based tour operators and airlines that need their jobs too :D 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I may have briefly mentioned it in another thread but i'm hoping to get away in the UK once restrictions ease. I wasn't sure what to do though but following a chat with my folks the other week, I've deiced on a Welsh road trip. Reason being that my folks, as kids, used to have their summer holidays in Wales, and thought it would be nice to see the places they went to. 

My Dad, his late brother (who was profoundly disabled) and their parents used to stop in charity caravans in and around Tenby. Support for disabled kids back then wasn't anything like today but the charity, I think it was the Spastics Society then, used to help them with a subsidised holiday every year. They had to get a bus there though, which my Dad recalls was always a challenge! So, i'll be starting there.

My Mom used to go to Criccieth every year with her folks and their friends. So that will be my second stop. The drive between the two places is about 3 and a half hours and takes me along the coast, so should be fantastic views weather permitting. 

Any tips on sights to see in either place, or along the coast between them, mucho appreciated. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Xela said:

I may have briefly mentioned it in another thread but i'm hoping to get away in the UK once restrictions ease. I wasn't sure what to do though but following a chat with my folks the other week, I've deiced on a Welsh road trip. Reason being that my folks, as kids, used to have their summer holidays in Wales, and thought it would be nice to see the places they went to. 

My Dad, his late brother (who was profoundly disabled) and their parents used to stop in charity caravans in and around Tenby. Support for disabled kids back then wasn't anything like today but the charity, I think it was the Spastics Society then, used to help them with a subsidised holiday every year. They had to get a bus there though, which my Dad recalls was always a challenge! So, i'll be starting there.

My Mom used to go to Criccieth every year with her folks and their friends. So that will be my second stop. The drive between the two places is about 3 and a half hours and takes me along the coast, so should be fantastic views weather permitting. 

Any tips on sights to see in either place, or along the coast between them, mucho appreciated. 

My tip would be to not get there via M5 / M50 / M4, once you get to Celtic Manor to jump on the M4 your buggered generally. You could come off that route at Raglan (Nice Castle) and do Abergavenny / Hirwaun / Neath and jump on the M4 there but I'd go....

Worcester / Leominster / Hay on Wye / Brecon / Llandovery / Carmarthen, stopping in Hay on Wye (2nd hand book capital of the world) for a break, nice cafes there too

There's a good number of other routes to get to Tenby too that avoid the Motorway, shorter distance and not that much longer time wise

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Xela said:

We did Wales last summer , was great and managed to occupy two teenagers without any “are we there yet “ or “I’m bored” type stuff 

It’s in the general area of Criccieth where you end your trip , but we did Portmeirion , Snowdonia , Llandudno , loads to see and do … went home via Liverpool and did all the Beatles stuff , mainly as the boy wanted to but also cause I knew it would really really piss @bickster off

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Â