Corona Summer holidays - Inspire me

KenjiOgiwara

44 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

We went through a third party company who are just as useless as getting a hold of. If you are not getting a reply complain on their social media like i did with opodo for flughts to greece that got cancelled. They got back to me pretty quickly surprisingly after that...

Yeah, just take a look at their social media, I don’t think I am the only one in the position.... a lot of angry people out there...

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Do you think it's a no go then?

I would say its not looking good, they will apparently update it every 2 weeks or so but have only accepted countries with a similar or lower rate to Ireland which means places like Germany, Denmark or Czech who have done a good job are not even included.

These are the countries allowed

San Marino, Gibraltar, Monaco, Latvia, Slovakia, Greenland, Greece, Lithuania, Cyprus, Slovakia, Estonia, Hungary, Malta, Finland, Norway and Italy

• Like 1

Doesn't Ireland have a higher infection rate per '000 than the UK?

I guess they're trying to keep the number of tourists down, hence no UK or US

Been looking at Isle of Wight for a break. Used to go there as kid so a trip down memory lane. Last went there in 1987, as a 7 year old. The hotel we stayed at in Shanklin is still there. 

16 hours ago, Xela said:

Doesn't Ireland have a higher infection rate per '000 than the UK?

I guess they're trying to keep the number of tourists down, hence no UK or US

I think the issue is Ireland was far better but it's starting getting worse and worse. So they're tightening things to stop the rise.

So I assume the greenlist is to ensure they minimise the likelihood of bringing more in.

In my case I'm now leaning towards going. I'm not sure the OH can move her days off now anyway, so we have to do something. We're deliberately driving so we can go on the ferry and booked a cabin to isolate as much as possible.

We'll essentially quarantine while we're there. We have our own house to stay in, it's in the middle of nowhere. We can still go on walks and do the outside stuff we were planning on doing, we'll just stay away from pubs and restaurants. 

Which is a shame, that's obviously a huge part of going. But it's safer. 

I'd rather go there and quarantine for two weeks than sit in the flat at home for 2 weeks if we can't change holiday

• Like 1

We’ve booked a long weekend in August (my sons birthday) down in the south west. We’re staying in a static caravan near the beach so will spend most of our days on the beach and such like. I think it’ll be pretty low risk of getting, or passing on the virus if we have it unaware.

Obviously the caravan will be cleaned before we arrive but we’ll give it another going over before we move our stuff in.

16 hours ago, Xela said:

Been looking at Isle of Wight for a break. Used to go there as kid so a trip down memory lane. Last went there in 1987, as a 7 year old. The hotel we stayed at in Shanklin is still there. 

Do they still have that dinosaur park there? 

On 25/06/2020 at 09:48, Seat68 said:

A seaside town. Weymouth and Hunstanton.

On 25/06/2020 at 12:16, Brumerican said:

I went to Hunstanton last week . You can see the sun set over the wash even though you're on the East coast.

On 25/06/2020 at 18:00, Xela said:

Norfolk should be ok though. Can't see Brancaster having crowds like Durdle Door.

It's a fantastic part of the world chaps. I used to live there until a couple of years ago in Heacham.

If you need a heads up on anything that way @Seat68 just give me a nudge mate.

Hunstanton is the "main attraction" of Norfolk, but don't neglect the beautiful neighbouring towns and coastal villages that run along the Norfolk coast.

Well's and the Holkham estate is a must visit. You also have Brancaster and Holt which @Xela stated, then further along you have Sheringham and Cromer with it's lovely pier.

Do be warned though - if visiting Brancaster or Holt and decide to go for a paddle in the sea, don't get caught out like the endless amount of clearings in the woods that seem to in getting stranded on the sand banks when the tide is out because the tide comes in around you quite quickly and you're in deep shit before you can even plan your next move! 

It's a known thing and there is alot of information warning folk about it about it on display there, yet the RNLI lifeboats are called out time and time again!  

You will agree @Brumerican that he Sunsets are just incredible overlooking with a beer in hand!

Whatever you decide @Seat68, Norfolk won't dissapoint. 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

It's a fantastic part of the world chaps. I used to live there until a couple of years ago in Heacham.

Hunstanton is the "main attraction" of Norfolk, but don't neglect the beautiful neighbouring towns and coastal villages that run along the Norfolk coast.

Well's and the Holkham estate is a must visit. You also have Brancaster and Holt which @Xela stated, then further along you have Sheringham and Cromer with it's lovely pier.

Do be warned though - if visiting Brancaster or Holt and decide to go for a paddle in the sea, don't get caught out like the endless amount of clearings in the woods that seem to in getting stranded on the sand banks when the tide is out because the tide comes in around you quite quickly and you're in deep shit before you can even plan your next move! 

It's a known thing and there is alot of information warning folk about it about it on display there, yet the RNLI lifeboats are called out time and time again!  

You will agree @Brumerican that he Sunsets are just incredible overlooking with a beer in hand!

Thank you. Between Cromer and Yarmouth, I know very well but outside of that I am lost. Really looking forward to it. 

40 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Looking at a week somewhere in October. Places on the list are Dumfries, South Wales or Northumberland. Hoping for a Scotch holiday. 

Scotland I will definately be visiting again too. Autumn/Winter is a nice time to go up towards the highlands etc.

18 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Scotland I will definately be visiting again too. Autumn/Winter is a nice time to go up towards the highlands etc.

I have been to an indoor festival in Glasgow and that is pretty much my experience of Scotland. Its a strong contender for a week. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

It better be or i'm not going! 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I stopped in Brancaster and Thornham. Lovely part of the world. Went to Cley, Wells, Stiffkey and a few other little villages on my travels

It has it all - quiet roads (well, when I was there), quiet beaches and windmills. 

On 23/07/2020 at 11:00, Follyfoot said:

They have a dinosaur museum. Is that what you mean?

Â