Corona Summer holidays - Inspire me

KenjiOgiwara

8 minutes ago, Xela said:

What were the 8 countries out of interest?

You've probably mentioned it before but i've had a lot of beer and cakes in the last few months so my memory is jaded. 

Start in Maastricht ( Well , I thought it was funny ) NL

then to Liege (Belgium)

down to Luxembourg via France 

Lux flight to Zurich and then Liechtenstein , Austria and end in Germany

allowed an hour in each country for a beer and 3 hours in LUX city centre for a food break and any check in issues 

could possibly have started in the U.K. and gone for 9 countries but any delay getting out of LHR and the whole trip is screwed 

Edited by tonyh29
Liege not Lille
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I know what @Xela is saying about it being carnage. Weymouth in mid august is asking for trouble. 

Norfolk should be ok though. Can't see Brancaster having crowds like Durdle Door. 

I won't be going anywhere until the facilities are open... i can't risk a day out without the bogs being open! 

1 minute ago, Xela said:

Norfolk should be ok though. Can't see Brancaster having crowds like Durdle Door. 

I won't be going anywhere until the facilities are open... i can't risk a day out without the bogs being open! 

We will avoid Durdle Door and Hunstanton will be September so all being well the crowds will be gone. 

I was meant to be going to Malta at the start of August.  Even though Malta airport is apparently opening up to all on 15th July, I've agreed with friends that we should postpone.  I'm gutted about the whole thing but in hindsight, we have made the right choice - I didn't particularly fancy walking the streets of Valletta and visiting attractions wearing a face mask in the blistering heat! We've now postponed until October (it cost £50 per person to change, which is pretty good given the circumstances) but I have a hankering feeling we'll be postponing again come September :(.

6 hours ago, villa4europe said:

got 2 months parental leave to use up (god bless ze germans)

was looking at places to spend a month that would be interesting but not necessarily with lots of travelling, Vietnam for example, also looking at California but think cost of living will kill that idea, that's to compare with my wifes wish of going on her first and maybe only all inclusive holiday for which mexico was winning (but 2 weeks in mexico will blow a month in Vietnam out of the water cost wise)

If you want any recommendations for Nam, let me know and I'll do what I can.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

And Warsaw because my Mrs hasn't really ever gone

Its been a long time since I was there but Warsaw in February just before the Solidarity talks were about to start has to be one of the biggest shitholes I've ever been to.

Apart from the "old Town" which isn't really that old because it was recreated after the war it reminded me most of the Gorballs in  Glasgow with added permafrost

Has it iimproved?

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

If you want any recommendations for Nam, let me know and I'll do what I can.

Is there one place that you would say sit there for 1 month in an air bnb (looking with a pool) and just do nothing? Maybe a tourist thing once a week 

Da nang was winning from what I'd seen 

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Is there one place that you would say sit there for 1 month in an air bnb (looking with a pool) and just do nothing? Maybe a tourist thing once a week 

Northern Thailand is decent for that as well... Chiang Mai.

Spent a week there "detoxing" after going a bit mental in Bangkok. 

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

Its been a long time since I was there but Warsaw in February just before the Solidarity talks were about to start has to be one of the biggest shitholes I've ever been to.

Apart from the "old Town" which isn't really that old because it was recreated after the war it reminded me most of the Gorballs in  Glasgow with added permafrost

Has it iimproved?

Has the capital of Poland 'got better' since the Communist times?

Shall I answer? 🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Has the capital of Poland 'got better' since the Communist times?

Shall I answer? 🤪

I was talking aesthetically, it was pretty much a concrete jungle of high rises and blocks of 3 or 4 storey flats

I mean everyone thinks Moscow is pretty because of Red Square but what they don't realise is... outside of that, it's a dump

30 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Da Nang is good; there's not masses in the city that's particularly unusual but there's good stuff nearby, including plenty of beaches, and Hoi An is just down the road, which is a cool town with old-style buildings, nice beaches and loads of tailors. If you want beach and sea, Nha Trang is also good, although a bit more touristy (lots of Russians, if they're allowed to travel in).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Da Nang is good; there's not masses in the city that's particularly unusual but there's good stuff nearby, including plenty of beaches, and Hoi An is just down the road, which is a cool town with old-style buildings, nice beaches and loads of tailors. If you want beach and sea, Nha Trang is also good, although a bit more touristy (lots of Russians, if they're allowed to travel in).

I cannot hear those place names without thinking of the War. It's like saying you had a nice holiday in Stalingrad or El Alamein. 

52 minutes ago, bickster said:

Has it iimproved?

I was there 5 years ago ish. I quite liked it. Superb nightlife and pretty clear they've had some crazy economic growth the last 20 years. Felt pretty much like a western city. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Xela said:

Northern Thailand is decent for that as well... Chiang Mai.

Spent a week there "detoxing" after going a bit mental in Bangkok. 

Did this week involve trying to sit down without wincing?

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

Did this week involve trying to sit down without wincing?

What happened over there, stays over there. 

Â