Corona Summer holidays - Inspire me

KenjiOgiwara

We had Spain booked for July, amazingly not cancelled so we’ve moved it to next October. 
We’re extremely fortunate to have gotten away in February (Florida). The wife wants to book a weekend in a caravan by the seaside for July or August but I’m not sure. Kids love caravan breaks but this one might be a bit shit.

2 hours ago, bickster said:

I was talking aesthetically, it was pretty much a concrete jungle of high rises and blocks of 3 or 4 storey flats

I mean everyone thinks Moscow is pretty because of Red Square but what they don't realise is... outside of that, it's a dump

Old town looks old, but as you rightly said, it's pretty new.

Now, the downtown is all just skyscrapers, and the huge palace of culture in the middle.

Warsaw-skyline-by-night-fotoobraz-WARSAW

But to be honest, most of the other big cities are nicer.

Krakow, Wroclaw, Gdansk, Szczecin etc

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

You booked her on a tour of the Bescott you old romantic you?

My mate once told his nan he was flying to Warsaw and she said "Really? I didn't even know Walsall had an airport!" 

• Like 1

I'll hopefully be heading to beautiful West Cork for a couple of weeks. 

We'll be travelling by Ferry with a private cabin to stay as isolated as possible and the house we stay in is right out in the sticks miles from anywhere so we should be ok.

I think Ireland have a 2 week quarantine for UK visitors at the moment but I think they'll have dropped it by mid August when we're planning to go

3 hours ago, bickster said:

Its been a long time since I was there but Warsaw in February just before the Solidarity talks were about to start has to be one of the biggest shitholes I've ever been to.

Apart from the "old Town" which isn't really that old because it was recreated after the war it reminded me most of the Gorballs in  Glasgow with added permafrost

Has it iimproved?

no,  but I'm an adopted Krakowian so I would say that. But anyway no, it's a shithole apart from the Old Town.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I was there 5 years ago ish. I quite liked it. Superb nightlife and pretty clear they've had some crazy economic growth the last 20 years. Felt pretty much like a western city. 

That Western city felt like a Western city? :detect: **** me, If you liked Warsaw you'll wish you were stuck in Krakow.

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Da Nang is good; there's not masses in the city that's particularly unusual but there's good stuff nearby, including plenty of beaches, and Hoi An is just down the road, which is a cool town with old-style buildings, nice beaches and loads of tailors. If you want beach and sea, Nha Trang is also good, although a bit more touristy (lots of Russians, if they're allowed to travel in).

Hoi An is an amazing place, and yes I got a suit.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

But to be honest, most of the other big cities are nicer.

Krakow, Wroclaw, Gdansk, Szczecin etc

Ever been to Stalowa Wola? that place was mental as I remember, baren, dirty, industrial but lovely people. The things I remember about it are Steam Trains, buying a toilet cleaning powder called Fart (because why wouldn't you), buying Vodka and getting up at an inhuman hour to catch a steam train to somewhere else (possibly Warsaw) and having to wake our Polish TM up to get said train and watching him down a bottle of vodka to get him going

18 hours ago, villa4europe said:

got 2 months parental leave to use up (god bless ze germans)

was looking at places to spend a month that would be interesting but not necessarily with lots of travelling, Vietnam for example, also looking at California but think cost of living will kill that idea, that's to compare with my wifes wish of going on her first and maybe only all inclusive holiday for which mexico was winning (but 2 weeks in mexico will blow a month in Vietnam out of the water cost wise)

My wife and I did a month in Vietnam so let me know if you end up going and I'll let you know what we found. Riding on the back of motorbikes from Hue (beautiful ancient city) across the center of the county to Hoi An was a real highlight.

My wife is from Cali and we've also spent a lot of time there. If you're going to spend a month on the coast, LA, San Fran, Mendocino county etc. then yeah it's going to expensive. But if you want to go to Yosemite, Kings Canyon and the Sierra's - it can be done much more cheaply. The the great National Parks of California are more inland and from there you can stretch out into Utah and Arizona if you like big skies and incredible vistas.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

My wife and I did a month in Vietnam so let me know if you end up going and I'll let you know what we found. Riding on the back of motorbikes from Hue (beautiful ancient city) across the center of the county to Hoi An was a real highlight.

My wife is from Cali and we've also spent a lot of time there. If you're going to spend a month on the coast, LA, San Fran, Mendocino county etc. then yeah it's going to expensive. But if you want to go to Yosemite, Kings Canyon and the Sierra's - it can be done much more cheaply. The the great National Parks of California are more inland and from there you can stretch out into Utah and Arizona if you like big skies and incredible vistas.

I really liked Zion, but I think that was Utah 

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I'll hopefully be heading to beautiful West Cork for a couple of weeks. 

We'll be travelling by Ferry with a private cabin to stay as isolated as possible and the house we stay in is right out in the sticks miles from anywhere so we should be ok.

I think Ireland have a 2 week quarantine for UK visitors at the moment but I think they'll have dropped it by mid August when we're planning to go

They said will announce on July 9th the travel restrictions 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

They said will announce on July 9th the travel restrictions 

Thanks. 
My mom is heading over there in a couple of weeks so hopefully it's lifted by the time she goes. Although she's going for like 10 weeks so a 2 week quarantine would actually be worth it for her

Interesting some of the major stag cities are using this as an excuse to clean up act. Amsterdam and Prague seem keen to clean the image. 

I wonder how long it will last, hopefully for locals sake its permanent 

All the major amusement parks in Sweden have shut down for the season.

They waited as long as possible for a decision from the government about the rules but got no answer up until a few days ago. 

Still 50 people max, only minor exceptions so impossible to open obviously. Thousands upon thousands of summer jobs gone, millions in revenues and tons of people let go. 

Leaving the decision this late also means that not construction or rebuild could be started since everything was in limbo. Suffice to say a lot of people are unhappy.

Still it is probably the right call. The big issue here is that there are never any clear answers to anything and no one want's to take responsibility. Had they not demanded an answer the government would have just strung them along until Christmas without saying yes or no.

12 hours ago, bickster said:

Ever been to Stalowa Wola? that place was mental as I remember, baren, dirty, industrial but lovely people. The things I remember about it are Steam Trains, buying a toilet cleaning powder called Fart (because why wouldn't you), buying Vodka and getting up at an inhuman hour to catch a steam train to somewhere else (possibly Warsaw) and having to wake our Polish TM up to get said train and watching him down a bottle of vodka to get him going

No, but it's in the region where our chalet thing is. Fart actually means good luck in Polish :) 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

No, but it's in the region where our chalet thing is. Fart actually means good luck in Polish :) 

Question for you. In West Brom there is a Polish shop called Mops and it has a picture of a pug as part of the sign. Is there a link between these things?

12 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

My mate once told his nan he was flying to Warsaw and she said "Really? I didn't even know Walsall had an airport!" 

It's the oldest joke going yet I can't resist it every single time.

Bulgaria's Black Sea coast is desperate for tourists they just haven't lifted quarantine for the UK, yet. Aside from Sunny Beach, which is full of complete yamps, they have some of the most beautiful spots in Europe.

Â