Pre-Match Thread - Cup Final 3 of 10

alreadyexists

9 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

The team I've wanted to go with for weeks. Maybe swap Guilbert in for Elmo but either way, beats having to play with that fat b******* Trezeguet. 

Only put Elmo there as he’s currently available.

dont think Trez is fat - if he is then I’m mr creosote... 

• Haha 1

He's gonna have to own the fact he doesn't have a decent winger and go Grealish / Samatta / Davis up top. Couldn't care less if it isn't their ideal positions, it at least gives the opposition 3 players to think about because at least they have something about them. 

It gives us Nakamba, Luiz and either Hourihane in midfield (Mcginn is a million miles off the pace) which is a bit more solid and gives us a chance to play our set piece taker.

All this coaching and tactical bollox but with a squad like ours the old Harry redknapp 'get your most effective players on the pitch' philosophy is needed. 

Edited by villanmac
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, villanmac said:

He's gonna have to own the fact he doesn't have a decent winger and go Grealish / Samatta / Davis up top. Couldn't care less if it isn't their ideal positions, it at least gives the opposition 3 players to think about because at least they have something about them. 

It gives us Nakamba, Luiz and either Hourihane in midfield (Mcginn is a million miles off the pace) which is a bit more solid and gives us a chance to play our set piece taker.

All this coaching and tactical bollox but with a squad like ours the old Harry redknapp 'get your most effective players on the pitch' philosophy is needed. 

I don’t think it would be out of the question to play Nakamba instead of McGinn against Wolves, he’s been so far off the pace.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, villanmac said:

I agree. Wolves could still beat us. Man. United and Liverpool probably will aswell. But you have to think two out and out strikers and Jack in a free role will give us far more chance of beating a Palace or West Ham in the run in then what we've been doing all season which has resulted in zero wins v top half teams.

• Like 1

My side for this match would be:

Nyland

Guilbert (if fit, if not Elmohamady) Konsa Mings Targett

McGinn Douglas Luiz Drinkwater

El Ghazi Samatta Grealish 

Subs: ReIna, Taylor, Elmohamady, Nakamba, Hourihane, Jota, Davis, Baston, Hause

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Put Reina back in. Nyland has looked nervy again. Guilbert will make a difference going forward if fit. Hard game, expecting 0-2

Argee. I don't really understand the Reina bashing. He had one really bad game versus Leceister but it is quite possible he was probably feeling rough with Covid. Nyland is a good number 2 for the cup games but Reina is the classier keeper even at this stage of his career. Elmo needs to start, we need a few wise heads.

12 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

This is one game where I would actively encourage a conservative approach.  95% of Wolves attacking effectiveness comes through counter attacks.

It’s the way to go in the premier league even spurs against west ham the other night most of their meaningful attacks came from counter attacks, team are all so hard to break down, unfortunately we lack urgency when the opportunity arises never have I seen us this season counter attack and get a chance at their end after defending a corner

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

It’s the way to go in the premier league even spurs against west ham the other night most of their meaningful attacks came from counter attacks, team are all so hard to break down, unfortunately we lack urgency when the opportunity arises never have I seen us this season counter attack and get a chance at their end after defending a corner

Yep, yet how many times does it happen to us?

Might be one of our major drawbacks that we are absolutely incapable of scoring on the counter. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Yep, yet how many times does it happen to us?

Might be one of our major drawbacks that we are absolutely incapable of scoring on the counter. 

Exactly we are so high up the pitch trying to break teams down like Man City or Barcelona  thing is we don’t have the players for that kind of football and we are way to slow moving the ball it’s easy and predictable to defend 

• Like 1

On 25/06/2020 at 09:16, cyrusr said:

Nyland

Konsa - Hause - Mings

Elmohamady               -                          Targett

Hourihane/McGinn - Luiz - Grealish

Samatta - Davis

19 hours ago, theboyangel said:

..................Nyland

.........Konsa.Mings.Hause

Elmo.McGinn.Luiz.Grealish.Targett

...............Davis.Samatta

How about that? 

Copy cat ;) 

• Haha 1

I just cant see us getting anything here - even when we play well like at Newcastle we are always susceptible to a defensive mistake and are too wasteful in front of goal. 

Wolves aren't amazing but they are a well drilled team and with Jiminez and Traore they will have too much for us. 

0-2

I just cant see us scoring TBH   Newcastle were a very poor team  and we looked ordinary and uninspiring  -  Wolves will like to counter and i imagine  we will set up as per Sheff U and Chelsea looking to defend for long periods of the game then trying to optimise our opportunities with   free kicks  corners.  we need some extraordinary good luck from here on in . We need that win but cant see it ! Same old same old!

14 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

This is one game where I would actively encourage a conservative approach.  

Will that involve promising things will be a lot better, only for it to fall apart, and then blame poor people for not working hard enough?

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1