Jump to content
alreadyexists

Pre-Match Thread - Cup Final 3 of 10

Recommended Posts

Right then, things are getting serious. A win would be so, so crucial to our survival. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

 .... A win .... 

FAT CHANCE 😫

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just saw that Wolves are 6th in the table and annoyingly close to qualifying for the Champions League. Ah. So they have a little incentive at Villa Park on Saturday. Great, perfect, boo. (

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not impossible to get a draw from this as although Wolves are very good they don't score a huge amount and don't really hammer teams so expect a close game.

It's incredible how they do things. Started season in July of course and I really thought with Nuno still wanting a small core of players they'd really struggle with juggling the competitions this season. Instead even before the break they were on a strong unbeaten run in the league and doing well in the europa. Not like they even rotate much so let's hope they find the 3 game of the week a little too much as we'll make more chances to starting line up than they will.

Just checking and Saiss has 10 yellows for the season although one yellow was in FA cup so not sure if that counts, he may be suspended. Neves and Moutinho got booked but both on 8 yellows.

I'd go for a front two, Jack in free role and Nakamba, Luiz and Hourihane as the middle trio. McGinn from 60th minute onwards. Think we'll give them a decent game but again lose 2-1.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they are still playing 3 at the back we should match them 3-4-1-2 - Jack floating in the free role being Ally and Davis.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@mods I think the thread title should be 4 of 10... I obviously can’t count! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

Find a way to play without El Ghazi and Trezeguet. 

Maybe it's high time to give Jota a second chance. I was a bit annoyed with Ashley Preece of the Birmingham Mail after the Chelsea game, he wrote that Jota did nothing of note during his sub appearance. Ok so very nearly scoring a late equaliser with that volley is nothing of note? (Thankfully Sky noticed that it was only inches wide).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Not impossible to get a draw from this as although Wolves are very good they don't score a huge amount and don't really hammer teams so expect a close game.

It's incredible how they do things. Started season in July of course and I really thought with Nuno still wanting a small core of players they'd really struggle with juggling the competitions this season. Instead even before the break they were on a strong unbeaten run in the league and doing well in the europa. Not like they even rotate much so let's hope they find the 3 game of the week a little too much as we'll make more chances to starting line up than they will.

Just checking and Saiss has 10 yellows for the season although one yellow was in FA cup so not sure if that counts, he may be suspended. Neves and Moutinho got booked but both on 8 yellows.

I'd go for a front two, Jack in free role and Nakamba, Luiz and Hourihane as the middle trio. McGinn from 60th minute onwards. Think we'll give them a decent game but again lose 2-1.

And please tell me it's also not impossible to get a win from this! Because that's what we need. A draw probably won't be good enough. We've now gone 7 (seven) league games in a row without one. It's not just about the three points... going on a winless run like that must sap confidence little by little, we also badly need the massive psychological boost that a rare win would give us! I just hope that the qualifying for the CL pressure might get to Wolves (to counteract the relegation pressure that is likely, to whatever extent, to get to us).

Edited by robby b

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

@mods I think the thread title should be 4 of 10... I obviously can’t count! 

Dammit, its your fault now if we don't win ;) 

With Wolves having beaten both West Ham and Bournemouth in the last 2 matches, they have done us a favour already. Whilst it is good to be level with the others, I wonder if Newcastle/Sheffield United were missed opportunities. West Ham and Bournemouth don't play until midweek so this is a real opportunity to put some points/pressure between us and the others. Unless we capitalise on it, it will all be for nothing.  

Not sure what formation to do, but El Ghazi and Trezeguet have both been so inconsistent and have more often than not struggled to impact. I seriously think if we had decent/consistent wingers we will be not even thinking about relegation.  If there is a formation we could make work without them, it would be perfect. I would still want to play Konsa as defensively he has been alright. Maybe a 5-3-2 would work. I would also probably drop McGinn, I don't think he has been effective from the off and I think we would be better saving him for an effective 30 minutes or so and I would probably start with Hourihane. I have no doubt though that Smith will play McGinn from the start though.

Nyland

Konsa - Hause - Mings

Elmohamady               -                          Targett

Hourihane/McGinn - Luiz - Grealish

 Samatta - Davis

To be honest I am not entirely happy with that. It could also shift to a flat 4-4-2 with Elmo on the right, Grealish on the left but a midfield 2 of Luiz/Hourihane? It looks better with McGinn but as I said, he has not looked the best since coming back and IMO is lacking in form/fitness. Maybe though this is his game... I bloody hope so. All we need is a damn win. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A win would be unreal for our chances of staying up but in reality we haven’t got a win in us anymore I fear. 
 

McGinn and Grealish both owe us a big game, they’ve largely been anonymous since the restart. I would play Davis and Samatta here, packing the midfield doesn’t work for us since we don’t utilize wingers even though we insist on playing them every week. Elmo has to come in for Kona’s for the rest of the season, he’s far from the complete package but a career right back has to be the better option over Konsa who isn’t exactly established at CB never mind RB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What we need to do is not play Greaish in central midfield, play him where he gets goals and assists and because that's what we need, and it's also where he's had the best form of his career. Got away with it to a certain degree last night because Newcaslte were playing with one specialist midfielder and two No.10 types, it won't work against a more solid Wolves midfield of Neves, Moutinho and Dendoncker, if we only play with two specialist midfielders against those three then we really will be putting ourselves at a disadvantage.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Adana is going to destroy our left hand side. Can't see how we win this one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Not impossible to get a draw from this as although Wolves are very good they don't score a huge amount and don't really hammer teams so expect a close game.

 

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't see anything other than an easy Wolves win and us not scoring.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, robby b said:

And please tell me it's also not impossible to get a win from this! Because that's what we need. A draw probably won't be good enough. We've now gone 7 (seven) league games in a row without one. It's not just about the three points... going on a winless run like that must sap confidence little by little, we also badly need the massive psychological boost that a rare win would give us! I just hope that the qualifying for the CL pressure might get to Wolves (to counteract the relegation pressure that is likely, to whatever extent, to get to us).

The only positive from a draw is at least it would finally get us out of the bottom 3 for a few days.

I agree we need wins but don't see any in our next 3-4. We're just going to have to hope the team wins something like 2 from last 4 which many teams who do great escapes do.

Wolves have lost 1 of their last 10 prem games and that was to Liverpool.

Indeed after their slow start to the season if you go back to Palace away they drew 1-1 on 22n September they have played 26 league games and lost grand total of 4. Two of those were to Liverpool. Lost just two away games in league since 1st September and those two were over xmas period.

Hopefully that will work in our favour as after the big effort they put in to beat Man. City on Friday 27th December they had to play Liverpool and Watford over next 5 days and simply didn't have the squad to rotate. Similar schedule now.

West Ham win the other day was also first time since early October they've won an away game by more than a goal so unless we defend terribly it should be a tight game but they obviously have the extra quality for the crunch periods like Chelsea did.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A win looks unlikely on paper on Saturday, much as it had looked less than likely two years ago, when we met as soon to be promoted Championship sides. I can't quite remember what happened back then, I think they did score and I think we just might have scored considerable more goals than they did. Wolves have loftier ambitions than we have for this season, and don't they let everyone know about it?

Wolves last won at Villa Park in 2011, since then they have drawn two and have lost, on their last two visits (their most recent defeat was in October, when we knocked them out of the League Cup). Prior to their 1-0 win in 2011, they had last won at Villa Park in 1980, so it's not been a very happy hunting ground for them of late. Overall, we have won 46 and have drawn 26 of the 109 league games, that there have been between the two clubs. 

We are currently one of the three clubs, that sit 6-points above bottom placed Norwich. An inferior goal difference and a lack lustre restart to date, leaves us uncomfortably in 19th place. Games will soon run out for us and we cannot let opportunities to win games continue to pass us by,  if we are to stop a gap developing shortly, between safety and our football club. This will be a very difficult game for us, contrary to the opinion of many Wolves fans, it might not prove to be a cakewalk for them either! We cannot afford to get nothing out of this game and we really do need to go for the win, rather than to hope to grimly hang onto the point, that we start with once again (it doesn't work). A Villa win would upset the odds, as it did back in 2018. It would also again act as real confidence boost for the run-in, as was also the case two years ago. You would get for 150-1 at Coral for a 4-1 Villa win (I like many a Wolves fan, couldn't forget that score quite so soon ;)) Just win it for us Villa, by any score!          

Edited by John
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Find a way to play without El Ghazi and Trezeguet. 

..................Nyland

.........Konsa.Mings.Hause

Elmo.McGinn.Luiz.Grealish.Targett

...............Davis.Samatta

How about that? 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

..................Nyland

.........Konsa.Mings.Hause

Elmo.McGinn.Luiz.Grealish.Targett

...............Davis.Samatta

How about that? 

The team I've wanted to go with for weeks. Maybe swap Guilbert in for Elmo but either way, beats having to play with that fat b******* Trezeguet. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

The team I've wanted to go with for weeks. Maybe swap Guilbert in for Elmo but either way, beats having to play with that fat b******* Trezeguet. 

Ha ha. He’s not fat. He’s rubbish. But he’s not fat.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...
Â