The Gravy Feud® and Other Gastronomic Delights

blandy

15 hours ago, villa4europe said:

anyone do food challenges / competitive eating? I can eat a fair bit if I enjoy what im eating but tend to get bored too easy so would need a variety of stuff, the tomahawk pizza steak in brum always interested me, did used to watch randy santel but he became too much a fat American for his own good so got more in to beard meats food instead, bit more of a personality about him 

Look up Leah Shutkever. She’s better. Better at the challenges and on the eye. Plus you don’t have to put up with disgusting food bits stuck in a beard 

I reckon I only eat chips once a fortnight at most. I do like them when I have them but it’s not something we eat much at all. I much prefer rice, pasta, couscous, jacket potato, dauphinois potatoes, new potatoes, mash or even wedges, to chips. 

Of course when I do have them, usually with fish from the chippy, they should never, ever have gravy on them. 

• Like 2

I love potatoes in pretty much any form.  Nothing on earth beats a really good roast potato. Dauphinois Potatoes are a thing of beauty but there is equally no worse horror than finding them undercooked and partially crunchy. 

I would place potatoes over noodles by a billion miles and pasta by 1000 miles and rice by 100 miles. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I have been thinking for the past few months, I don’t think I like chips. I like potato but rarely finish chips on my plate and don’t enjoy them when I am eating them. 

Confused What Is It GIF by Nebraska Humane Society

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Going with the chips things. I always assumed I liked jacket potatoes. Now, I don't think I do. 

I always like the Turkish version of a jacket potato, though. Kumpir, which is where they take the middle and basically whip the filling, with butter and cheese, until it's a puree inside the skin. 

Edited by AVFC_Hitz
Sergei Rebrov
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I love potatoes in pretty much any form.  Nothing on earth beats a really good roast potato. Dauphinois Potatoes are a thing of beauty but there is equally no worse horror than finding them undercooked and partially crunchy. 

I would place potatoes over noodles by a billion miles and pasta by 1000 miles and rice by 100 miles. 

Dominos always underdo their wedges and it pisses me off every time but I still order them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

My daughter years ago said she didn’t like chips. The same day she told me she was a tory and starting a relationship with a neo nazi and had just got into U2 in a big way. I really had an issue with the chips. Now I am thinking the same. 
Also worth noting I do not like chocolate cake either. Chocolate yes, cake yes, Chocolate cake. No. 

That was a whole rollercoaster of emotions to go through but in the end I agree. 

I'm the same with ice cream. Can't do chocolate ice cream or fruity variants. Has to be either real vanilla or mint choc chip. Yes, I realise there is chocolate in the mint choc chip.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Also worth noting I do not like chocolate cake either. Chocolate yes, cake yes, Chocolate cake. No. 

no idea idk GIF

Nope, sorry, I can't. That makes no sense. You're just trolling now.  Get out.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Dominos always underdo their wedges and it pisses me off every time but I still order them.

YES. Yet another reason why I detest them. 

They are not alone to be fair. Most time I have potato wedges out they are undercooked. 

On the subject of condiments I'm just tucking into my lunch.  Wholegrain bread with some nice Yorkshire ham and slavered in whole grain mustard. 

Mayo has invaded too far.  Can't beat a good wholegrain mustard on a ham sandwich over mayo any day of the week. 

No doubt I am about to put in the wrong un category for not having English mustard. 

Then again, French Mustard, what even is that? Eugh. 

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

On a side from that - I've eaten bear... Was in a good restaurant in St Petersburg so hard to imagine they were bullshitting me, it was a bear burger, was OK, nothing that special

I've been eating bare for most of the last 2 months. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, sidcow said:

On the subject of condiments I'm just tucking into my lunch.  Wholegrain bread with some nice Yorkshire ham and slavered in whole grain mustard. 

Mayo has invaded too far.  Can't beat a good wholegrain mustard on a ham sandwich over mayo any day of the week. 

No doubt I am about to put in the wrong un category for not having English mustard. 

Then again, French Mustard, what even is that? Eugh. 

I had mustard and mayo on my ham sandwich today, was certainly English mustard and enough to make me close to sneezing but for me I don't like butter and the mustard alone doesn't make the sandwich wet enough so I have to out the mayo in there

im really fussy when it comes to eating sandwiches, cannot stand even day old bread showing any signs of drying out / aging (will eat it as toast rather than chuck it) very rare that I venture beyond white, wont get it from tescos or Sainsburys because their bread is shit (morrisons tiger bread is where its at)

6 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I have been thinking for the past few months, I don’t think I like chips. I like potato but rarely finish chips on my plate and don’t enjoy them when I am eating them. 

*tin hat on* I had this realisation with pizza recently. Had 4 pizzas - one homemade, one from Papa Johns and 2 from local restaurants (good restaurants). Didn’t properly enjoy any of them - some combination of too salty, too cheesy, too floppy, too chewy and what not. So now I’m starting to wonder if it’s just that I don’t like pizza. I can’t really remember a time I had a pizza and thought “this is great” except perhaps (weirdly) pizza express (for the record I am not Prince Andrew). Usually I just eat it and find it salty and boring. 

1 hour ago, Spoony said:

*tin hat on* I had this realisation with pizza recently. Had 4 pizzas - one homemade, one from Papa Johns and 2 from local restaurants (good restaurants). Didn’t properly enjoy any of them - some combination of too salty, too cheesy, too floppy, too chewy and what not. So now I’m starting to wonder if it’s just that I don’t like pizza. I can’t really remember a time I had a pizza and thought “this is great” except perhaps (weirdly) pizza express (for the record I am not Prince Andrew). Usually I just eat it and find it salty and boring. 

Most pizzas you buy from Chains are pretty rubbish. 

If you have a proper pizza from a restaurant I usually enjoy them far more so I'm suprised you didn't.  I think it's that the chains just use the nastiest, cheapest ingredients they can. 

Weirdly the restaurant attached to The Premier Inn in Waterloo Street used to do really good pizzas.  Was usually my go to meal when I used to go there regularly,  but anything from a chain and I am just meh. Would prefer a supermarket bake your own most of the time, and at about 1/8th of the price. 

Edited by sidcow

Â