The Gravy Feud® and Other Gastronomic Delights

blandy

6 hours ago, villa4europe said:

get in the sea

microwaves are for defrosting frozen meat that you forgot to take out the freezer before going to work, nothing else

Wah? 

Surely warming up beans is THE essential task a Microwave performs. 

Back in the day I used to cook pizza in the microwave which is surely worth inclusion in this thread. Ended up warm but with a chewy base. Makes me ill thinking about it now. 

Top tip for delicious home made (sort of) cottage pie(ish)..

Tin beef warmed on hob, add an oxo cube (genius), warm extra nice👌, heat mash in MICROWAVE (kiss my ass), add huge knob of lurpak or kerrigold (do not substitute for inferior as this stage is crucial), season the mash and the beef and add to fatboy pie dish, GENTLY scoop the delicious mash on top to cover and sprinkle some mature cheddar on top and grill until golden.

20200528_155434.jpg

20200528_154654.jpg

20200528_154636.jpg

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Wah? 

I used to, even had one of those purpose made microwave pots for it, now I dont even own a microwave, I pan cook beans and burn the juice off, overcook them as much as I can get away with 

43 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Wah? 

That and warming up milk for weetabix/porridge is probably 95% of what I use it for

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bickster said:

Oh this is good but it's no Scuba Steve

EDIT: The Honeytrap

Man!

Just read through the majority of that and now understand what the scuba Steve references are all about!

Having ‘graduated’ to off-topic only in the past couple of years I missed it all first time round!!

Edited by bannedfromHandV

45 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Wah? 

Back in the day I used to cook pizza in the microwave which is surely worth inclusion in this thread. Ended up warm but with a chewy base. Makes me ill thinking about it now. 

Get out.

You don’t put beans in a microwave.

Beans go in a pan and are cooked thoroughly to the point of burning to bring about reduction, that’s after you’ve mixed in the butter, salt/pepper, smoked paprika, chilli powder and chipotle chilli flakes.

Microwaves are for reheating a kebab on a Sunday lunchtime.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

What kind of witchcraft is that? Warm weetabix? GROSS

It's delicious. Cold weetabix is boring.

Here's a concoction:

3 weetabix. Warm a cup of milk for 2 or 2 and a half minutes. Pour onto the weetabix and mix it all up. It should be a bit milkier than you'd usually have weetabix.

Then sprinkle a tea spoon of sugar on top ad mix that in.

Then sprinkle with a cereal of your choice. Coco Pops works best imo. And then mix all that in too.

It will look horrendous. But tastes amazing!

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Here's a concoction:

3 weetabix. Warm a cup of milk for 2 or 2 and a half minutes. Pour onto the weetabix and mix it all up. It should be a bit milkier than you'd usually have weetabix.

Then sprinkle with a cereal of your choice. Coco Pops works best imo. And then mix all that in too.

Bloody hell, Stevo the Cereal Killer!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Bloody hell, Stevo the Cereal Killer!

I defy anyone to try that and tell me it's not delicious (assuming you like the individual ingredients of course)

Edit: although "Cereal Killer" would make a far better custom title than "Mrs BOF nee Bennett"

Edited by Stevo985

32 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Man!

Just read through the majority of that and now understand what the scuba Steve references are all about!

Having ‘graduated’ to off-topic only in the past couple of years I missed it all first time round!!

I read the entire thread last month when bored. It’s a glorious thread that luckily for us only just seeing it now no longer contains the photos. 

Although part of me does wonder what scuba Steve looked like...

• Like 1

Just now, It's Your Round said:

I read the entire thread last month when bored. It’s a glorious thread that luckily for us only just seeing it now no longer contains the photos. 

Although part of me does wonder what scuba Steve looked like...

I got some horrifying photos during my part in that thread. It was actually quite depressing. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Here's a concoction:

My first thought was :puke:

But then I operate a strict “don’t knock it til you’ve tried it” policy, so I’ll reserve judgment for a while. I’m thinking chocolate shreddies would work well. 

My mom always had Weetabix with warm milk, although we never warmed the milk in a microwave. I've still got a saucepan she burnt the milk in once, never, ever quite got all of the burnt bits off the bottom.

Don't really use that pan anymore...

I always had Weetabix with warm water and milk added afterwards cold.

And beans are cooked in a saucepan to the required consistency - heated up only for toast, reduced as much as possible for a fry up. My mom cooked beans in a frying on the hottest setting possible until they turned into a gloop that you literally scooped out.

Like cooking beans to a soft peak, meringue style.

1 minute ago, It's Your Round said:

My first thought was :puke:

But then I operate a strict “don’t knock it til you’ve tried it” policy, so I’ll reserve judgment for a while. I’m thinking chocolate shreddies would work well. 

Yeah I like chocolate cereal so I'd be on board with that. Although shreddies might go a bit mushy. Part of the appeal is the cereal keeping a bi of a crunch amongst the soft weetabix

Basically weetabix is too boring on it's own. So I used to add sugar. Then I thought adding cereal would sweeten it a bit without being as unhealthy as having sugar.
Ad then somewhere down the line I threw caution to the wind and did both.

The amount of milk is key. Too little and i becomes a dry stodgy mess. Too much and it's just all swimming around and is hard to eat.

8 hours ago, villa4europe said:

get in the sea

microwaves are for defrosting frozen meat that you forgot to take out the freezer before going to work, nothing else

As a single bloke, they are a god send! 

I wish I was interested in proper cooking but i'm not. I can do basics but the microwave is far easier. 

Edited by Xela
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I got some horrifying photos during my part in that thread. It was actually quite depressing. 

I can quite imagine. The depths of depravity, desperation and sadness in the world is pretty grim. 

Â