The Gravy Feud® and Other Gastronomic Delights

blandy

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

Not interested unless you are eating them with innappropriate condiments

Sure I can squeeze some wasabi on the plate. 

5 minutes ago, Wezbid said:

Making some beef dripping chips in the oven later. I'll take pics. 

Interesting. 

I bought a deep fat fryer for lockdown chips and have thought about beef dripping.  How do you do them in the oven? I'm not sure I would be able to clean up the fryer. It's one of these with a spout to empty it out, would probably solidify inside the tube and be a mare to clean out. 

17 hours ago, sidcow said:

What we have is a nationally dominant chain offering expensive bland average food after buying and closing down a ton of decent regional bakers. 

its maybe the biggest food culture difference between the UK and Germany, there are a ridiculous number of bakeries here, I would guess maybe around 8 chains who have 3+ stores in Bonn (which is around the size of Worcester) and independents and they're not cheap, theres a really good quality one I've had to start passing daily due to visiting hospital and its £1.20 for a cheese crust bread roll, £1.50 for a Danish and £2 for a donut...and the queue is out the door in the morning (social distancing probably helps)

even the big national chains like Kamps are expensive, £3 for a loaf type expensive and people pack them, roaring trade

what you get in lidl and aldi in the UK is the same in every shop here, no wall of pre packed sandwiches, no meal deals, if you want a sandwich for work its £4-5 from a bakery, and people do! theres a massive demand for it, Bonn station was refurbed last year and I think there's maybe 6 bakery / sandwich shops in the station

• Like 1

anyone do food challenges / competitive eating? I can eat a fair bit if I enjoy what im eating but tend to get bored too easy so would need a variety of stuff, the tomahawk pizza steak in brum always interested me, did used to watch randy santel but he became too much a fat American for his own good so got more in to beard meats food instead, bit more of a personality about him 

59 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

its maybe the biggest food culture difference between the UK and Germany, there are a ridiculous number of bakeries here, I would guess maybe around 8 chains who have 3+ stores in Bonn (which is around the size of Worcester) and independents and they're not cheap, theres a really good quality one I've had to start passing daily due to visiting hospital and its £1.20 for a cheese crust bread roll, £1.50 for a Danish and £2 for a donut...and the queue is out the door in the morning (social distancing probably helps)

even the big national chains like Kamps are expensive, £3 for a loaf type expensive and people pack them, roaring trade

what you get in lidl and aldi in the UK is the same in every shop here, no wall of pre packed sandwiches, no meal deals, if you want a sandwich for work its £4-5 from a bakery, and people do! theres a massive demand for it, Bonn station was refurbed last year and I think there's maybe 6 bakery / sandwich shops in the station

Unfortunately in the UK it's all about stuff being cheap as possible. Most would much prefer going to a 99p baguette store and getting a shitty baguette filled with mass produced crud fillings than pay for an artisan bloomer filled with quality ingredients. 

The UK is also obsessed with chains of identikit pubs/restaurants/food outlets where you get exactly the same thing in exactly the same environment. I've said here before somewhere that if you opened an artisan top quality pizza restaurant next to a Dominos it would sit empty whilst a never ending stream of people went into dominos paying £15 a pop for a disc of flour and water topped with about £2 worth of bland ingredients. 

Also see Subway.  Artisan prices for identikit average quality food. I just don't get it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

Unfortunately in the UK it's all about stuff being cheap as possible. Most would much prefer going to a 99p baguette store and getting a shitty baguette filled with mass produced crud fillings than pay for an artisan bloomer filled with quality ingredients. 

The UK is also obsessed with chains of identikit pubs/restaurants/food outlets where you get exactly the same thing in exactly the same environment. I've said here before somewhere that if you opened an artisan top quality pizza restaurant next to a Dominos it would sit empty whilst a never ending stream of people went into dominos paying £15 a pop for a disc of flour and water topped with about £2 worth of bland ingredients. 

Also see Subway.  Artisan prices for identikit average quality food. I just don't get it. 

Having worked in the baking industry I would honestly say that most people don’t have a clue about thaw and serve and genuinely believe a lot of the stuff is made and baked fresh in store, in reality most of it is pre baked and shipped frozen (the Tesco frozen food distribution centre near Grantham is possibly the biggest building I’ve ever been in) and the rest of it is frozen but finished off in the ovens using preset commands, which based on my knowledge of the Kidderminster store 15 years ago there is no such thing as idiot proofing those commands....from memory the Tesco finest cookies that come in a 4 for £1.50 bag had to cost us less than 11p each to make and the normal range 5 for £1 cookies were around 7p per cookie

not sure how big they are now but we were desperately trying to get in with 3663 because they supplied so many smaller businesses with their “freshly made” stuff

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

anyone do food challenges / competitive eating? I can eat a fair bit if I enjoy what im eating but tend to get bored too easy so would need a variety of stuff, the tomahawk pizza steak in brum always interested me, did used to watch randy santel but he became too much a fat American for his own good so got more in to beard meats food instead, bit more of a personality about him 

Looking forward to the inevitable 100k calorie rematch when he hits 1m subs

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sidcow said:

Can you really blame people? In London you can get an artisan bloomer with quality ingredients plus maybe crisps and an orange juice...for about £15. Or you can get a boots meal deal for £3.50. And no one has any money anymore and you’re already living paycheque to paycheque. 

I agree with the quality vs shite argument, but most people can’t afford the quality anymore. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Spoony said:

Can you really blame people? In London you can get an artisan bloomer with quality ingredients plus maybe crisps and an orange juice...for about £15. Or you can get a boots meal deal for £3.50. And no one has any money anymore and you’re already living paycheque to paycheque. 

I agree with the quality vs shite argument, but most people can’t afford the quality anymore. 

I'm not arguing with you over that but the UK economy remains one of the strongest in the world and yet only in the UK does this seem prevelant. 

I think it's not so much the majority can't afford it but they prioritise spending elsewhere.   A couple of guys I work with could easily afford to buy lunch from a decent baker but wouldn't dream of going anywhere more expensive than the 99p baguette shop. 

It's a free country and people can spend their money where they like on what they like but I think my point that generally people in the UK are more interested in price than quality stands. 

I have been thinking for the past few months, I don’t think I like chips. I like potato but rarely finish chips on my plate and don’t enjoy them when I am eating them. 

1 minute ago, Seat68 said:

I have been thinking for the past few months, I don’t think I like chips. I like potato but rarely finish chips on my plate and don’t enjoy them when I am eating them. 

creepy GIF by The Orchard Films

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Â