Covid-19 and Football

Zatman

11 hours ago, Zatman said:

sure they can send Danny Murphy, he can moan that football is ruined by players not being allowed to sneeze on the pitch or just moan about how the atmosphere is not as good as White Hart Lane

Murphy is  just a younger and worse version of Lawro, which I didn't believe could happen. 

Pundits are divided up by fence sitters with a human vaccum bypass (Jenas, Kevin Kilbane), the pub bore (Murphy, Lawro, Sutton), the red angry ones (Shearer), or the court jesters (Wright, Merson etc). Almost all terrible. 

The last decent pundit the beeb had was Hansen for the first 10 years of his run before he  got bored talking about football. 

36 minutes ago, PaulC said:

La Liga to restart on the 20th June and to finish by the end of July. 

They'll have to play the games at 22.00 or later in the nights because the weather especially in inland Spain and places like Madrid, Granada, Sevilla get crazy hot.

They can have as many water breaks and subs as they like. That many games during that period will be dangerous.

Can see players and clubs revolt against this, not that Javier Tebas will care.

50 minutes ago, PaulC said:

La Liga to restart on the 20th June and to finish by the end of July. 

I wonder how they'll handle the players whose contracts end on the 30th June. I guess some teams will just have to play with smaller squads.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

'The game itself ended in a 1-0 win for champions Jeonbuk Motors over cup holders Suwon Bluewings. Substitute Lee Dong-gook, 41, scored the only goal with a header.'

Huh.

Yeah ex Boro player when Southgate was signing awful forwards like Afonso Alves.

Looks like he wants to emulate Mirua who is still playing in J league at 53!

• Like 1

Had a ex who lived in Granada, Andalusia for a couple of years and I spent a month or so there one summer.

The temperature only dipped below 40 °C on rare occasions during that time.

I remember one night where it didn't drop below 35 °C during the whole night. I know this because she lived next to a pharmacy and they all had those green crosses and digital thermometers outside the entrances and it was right next to the bedroom window.

There have been quite a few players who've had Covid-19 and they already might have respiratory issues after that. Playing in these conditions might actually kill them.

Edited by sne

9 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Looks like a couple of high profile corpses is the only thing that will make some see sense.

I volunteer Ben Mee as tribute.

If it needs to be more high profile then Luis Suarez is OK by me.

• Haha 1

Kyle Walker feeling "harassed" because the press keep reporting on him breaking lockdown (3 times in 24 hours recently)

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Xela said:

Kyle Walker feeling "harassed" because the press keep reporting on him breaking lockdown (3 times in 24 hours recently)

All he did was repeatedly break the law bringing sexual workers into his house. Why are the press even interested? :lol: 

3 hours ago, limpid said:

I wonder how they'll handle the players whose contracts end on the 30th June. I guess some teams will just have to play with smaller squads.

Arent the leagues trying to extend the contracts until the seasons have finished 

12 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Arent the leagues trying to extend the contracts until the seasons have finished 

They have no legal rights to do this

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

They have no legal rights to do this

No there would have to be an agreement with the clubs. The Premier League are voting on this on Monday. 

2 minutes ago, PaulC said:

No there would have to be an agreement with the clubs. The Premier League are voting on this on Monday. 

You can't force a player to sign a contract against his will. It would be absolutely destroyed in court

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

You can't force a player to sign a contract against his will. It would be absolutely destroyed in court

I don't know,  I persume the clubs have discussed this with the players and will decide on Monday which way it will go. The contracts will be extended if approved. 

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

I don't know,  I persume the clubs have discussed this with the players and will decide on Monday which way it will go. The contracts will be extended if approved. 

You can't just decide to extend all the contracts though, it's like saying that the Premier league will also decide if the weather will be good for the games.

If a contract runs out on the 30th June, and you want the player to play on the 1st July, you need to either offer him a contract to do so or not. 

If you're Ben Foster and Watford are facing a "£200m disaster" you might suggest to them that you'll take a one month £5m deal and see if they're in the mood to do without you - if not, you can go on holiday.

The most the league can do is stop players playing for a new team for a period of time, but even that will be subject to legal challenge - the winger Chelsea have signed will be their player on 1st July - there's absolutely no way Ajax will be able to insist he plays for them after the 30th June and some chance that Chelsea might threaten legal action so that he can play for them during the Project restart season.

The schism between 30th June and 1st July is massive - it's why I think there's such a press to get started asap - they'll want to get all ten games in by then I think. 

• Like 2

Â