Covid-19 and Football

Zatman

Of course Ajax won't be asking that as their season is over.

However you are right there must be many other players in a similar position having already signed for their next club?

What a mess!

23 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

You can't just decide to extend all the contracts though, it's like saying that the Premier league will also decide if the weather will be good for the games.

If a contract runs out on the 30th June, and you want the player to play on the 1st July, you need to either offer him a contract to do so or not. 

If you're Ben Foster and Watford are facing a "£200m disaster" you might suggest to them that you'll take a one month £5m deal and see if they're in the mood to do without you - if not, you can go on holiday.

The most the league can do is stop players playing for a new team for a period of time, but even that will be subject to legal challenge - the winger Chelsea have signed will be their player on 1st July - there's absolutely no way Ajax will be able to insist he plays for them after the 30th June and some chance that Chelsea might threaten legal action so that he can play for them during the Project restart season.

The schism between 30th June and 1st July is massive - it's why I think there's such a press to get started asap - they'll want to get all ten games in by then I think. 

Reading the Daily Mail it looks like it will be voted in and they will move on to the more difficult agenda of neutral grounds and match scheduling. 

7 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Reading the Daily Mail it looks like it will be voted in and they will move on to the more difficult agenda of neutral grounds and match scheduling. 

In a way the neutral grounds and match scheduling are more difficult - because they're areas where the football authorities have control. There is no authority that places football above contract law.

15 hours ago, Zatman said:

Didn't Reina say already that he is not staying 

I thought the PL said that Heaton/Wesley for example couldn't play, even if they're fit, because they shouldn't have been able to play.

But we can't force Reina to stay?

How does that work? And how is it fair?

It still baffles me that nobody thought of deciding an approach and putting it in the rules should the season not be concluded for any reason. This specific crisis wasn't something I expected them to foresee in any specific season, but between pandemics, natural disasters, wars, you'd think someone would have thought to have at least an idea of how to resolve things.

As it is, deciding how to wrap up a league that can't be concluded by a vote of the interested parties is absolutely farcical.

They should conclude it, taking as long as it takes - next season is impacted significantly anyway - and obviously in that case the results stand, or they should void it, IMO. Any approach to trying to determine final positions from a set of games that isn't complete and with things balance on a knife edge is no better than a vote between the clubs of "who do you want to **** over?".

Over 600 deaths yesterday, over 4,000 new cases...they are official figures. 

Football should not be restarting, we should not be easing lockdown but money does the talking and influences. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

Money and they are worried about Liverpool fans. Liverpool fans will cause havoc if they don't get what they want. Those poor poor people. 

They will also cause havoc if they win the league.

Police should tell the Premier League that if they allow it to return and Liverpool fans come near the stadium or arrange any sort of party then they are deducted a point for each fan

• Haha 4

It's not just the stadium though, there will be pubs up and down the country opening up on the sly to let people in, I wouldn't be surprised to see one of these 4k people venues that showed the euros to be on the news full of Liverpool fans (said venue will be in Kent...) 

It will be impossible to control

I think seeing as pubs are dying on their assets any football coming back will result in lock ins, not just Liverpool fans, it'll be a country wide every game problem

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

It still baffles me that nobody thought of deciding an approach and putting it in the rules should the season not be concluded for any reason. This specific crisis wasn't something I expected them to foresee in any specific season, but between pandemics, natural disasters, wars, you'd think someone would have thought to have at least an idea of how to resolve things.

That amazes me too. How is there not a bit of small print that says if the season can’t be finished then this is what happens? Like in F1 for a race, depending on what proportion has been completed it gives a different outcome. 

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think today was last or 2nd last game of the Premier League season 

2nd last mate 

Week 37  today would have been last home game season vs Arsenal.

Week 38 would have been West Ham away Sunday 17th May.

:(

Edited by Villan4Life

Â