Covid-19 and Football

Zatman

4 hours ago, theboyangel said:

This is why a restart is flawed. What will happen if, when the remaining games are being played a club has another outbreak and self isolate again for 2 weeks? 

what would stop a struggling club claiming staff have symptoms to add further delay?

best thing would be to avoid all leagues and look to restart in September

Touch would but lets say a player gets covid19 and passes away then what? They have blood on their hands

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LondonLax said:

Why is it going to be all ok in September?

I don't think this is necessarily crazy, but it is dependent on a massive, war-time mobilisation of healthcare resources. In theory, if we had a lot more lockdown, getting new cases down to low double or even single figures, plus a fully-functional track-and-trace system and lots of randomised testing, you could open large parts of the economy again, enough to play matches behind closed doors or with grounds at say 20% capacity. September would also be before the start of the next flu season, when the risk of returning to lockdown is highest.

However, this entire idea would be completely contingent on a mobilisation of healthcare resources that currently seems beyond the government to organise. I don't think that means it couldn't be a goal though.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

excellent post OBE

think the only thing missing is that said Liverpool fan you've perfectly described is 42 years old, lives in Kidderminster, doesn't go to games, gets a stadium tour as a birthday present every year, owns 70% of the merch catalogue and right now is strolling around tescos in his Liverpool trackie top

I work with someone exactly like that.  And what a prick he is.

21 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

excellent post OBE

think the only thing missing is that said Liverpool fan you've perfectly described is 42 years old, lives in Kidderminster, doesn't go to games, gets a stadium tour as a birthday present every year, owns 70% of the merch catalogue and right now is strolling around tescos in his Liverpool trackie top

Is his name Edward?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

I was thinking Tony ;)

Has a liver bird painted on his house 

He probably knows Edward though - the description was almost perfect.

• Like 1

On 01/05/2020 at 15:59, villa4europe said:

I've seen talksport running a bullshit story about a sky source claiming they're looking in to CGI crowds for behind closed door games 

Same with nevilles games abroad idea I don't think either will happen but what is interesting is that the media is moving to fan the flames at the moment, they keep throwing out bullshit ideas that they know will wind people up, they're trying to make people angry about football returning rather than promoting it returning, they're not creating demand they're creating disillusionment 

Just going back to this, I think you're imagining a media that is being tactical about things when it really isn't. Football pundits are not coming up with bad ideas because they're trying to perform a complicated double-manouever which makes the public hate the idea, they're coming up with bad ideas because they don't understand anything about the virus and people keep asking them questions even though there's no football on, so they have to try and say something.

The simple truth is the media is desperate for football to start again, viz the Scum today:

EW-EADUWAAEIcih?format=jpg&name=small

It would be interesting to know how their sales have been since footie stopped. My impression is an awful lot of people buy that rag just to read the back pages.

7 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Liverpool should be declared Champions in any situation in which we do not play the remaining games

Great post but I don’t agree with this in the wider context, yes they’re are by far the best team in England this year and will win it if they get a few more games. 
The problem with giving Liverpool the title they have not mathematically won means you have to relegate the bottom 3 who are not mathematically down (far from it). Then the Championship, do you promote the top 2 or 3 even though they’ve not mathematically done enough (again, far from it).

You can’t make 1 rule for the PL champions because they’d have won it anyway and a different rule for the relegation and promotion.

You have to do all, or none, and I can see a lot of issues with extending the table freeze to everyone else

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Genie said:

Great post but I don’t agree with this in the wider context, yes they’re are by far the best team in England this year and will win it if they get a few more games. 
The problem with giving Liverpool the title they have not mathematically won means you have to relegate the bottom 3 who are not mathematically down (far from it). Then the Championship, do you promote the top 2 or 3 even though they’ve not mathematically done enough (again, far from it).

You can’t make 1 rule for the PL champions because they’d have won it anyway and a different rule for the relegation and promotion.

You have to do all, or none, and I can see a lot of issues with extending the table freeze to everyone else

I don't see why they can't take a vote on each issue separately myself.  Common sense would say Liverpool would definitely be champions, any of about half a dozen teams could go down so no relegation, then the PL can just invite a couple of teams from the Championship but hand the responsibility to them to sort out which ones.  It seems a simple case of everyone using their common sense in an unprecedented situation.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Genie said:

Why can’t you? If all 20 clubs agree then you can do anything you like really. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LondonLax said:

Why can’t you? If all 20 clubs agree then you can do anything you like really. 

It will be ugly and messy.

You can’t apply different rules to different situations. It would either have to be final table stands, PPG, complete the games or void the season for all. 

3 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I don't see why they can't take a vote on each issue separately myself.  Common sense would say Liverpool would definitely be champions, any of about half a dozen teams could go down so no relegation, then the PL can just invite a couple of teams from the Championship but hand the responsibility to them to sort out which ones.  It seems a simple case of everyone using their common sense in an unprecedented situation.

I think you’re being immensely naive. This is big business, 100’s of millions at stake. People’s livelihoods on the line.

Edited by Genie

2 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Wet Spam also making noises, I'd imagine Villa too would be in opposition. 

Teams at the bottom can’t afford to give away home advantage for half their remaining games.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

Â