Covid-19 and Football

Zatman

42 minutes ago, rbcuk said:

So Dresden have had to go into isolation a week before they was due to play, can’t see the bundesliga happening 

Same here, can’t see it happening. It looks like a game of who will blink first

Cant seem to find a longer statement

Watford chairman Scott Duxbury says at least six of the 20 English Premier League clubs are concerned about the plan to use neutral stadiums to finish the season.

Duxbury says “there is no altruism in the Premier League” and that “there are 20 different vested interests, which sometimes align but more often than not work purely to protect each individual club.”

Ahead of Monday’s crunch meeting of topflight clubs, the Hornets have joined Brighton and Aston Villa in making clear their opposition to the current “Project Restart” plans.

With nine rounds left, Watford is 17th in the league and looking to fight off relegation amid a challenging backdrop brought on by the coronavirus outbreak.

Duxbury says “some clubs are happy to sign up to `Project Restart’ because arguably there is only an upside in participating in this compromised format. It means Liverpool can win the title, other clubs can book their place in Europe next season or potentially fight their way up the table from a position of safety.”

But he adds “when at least six clubs – and I suspect more – are concerned about the clear downside and the devastating effects of playing in this kind of distorted nine-game mini-league, then I believe the Premier League has a duty of care to address those concerns.”

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/watford-says-least-six-Premier League-teams-oppose-restart/

• Like 1

11 hours ago, villa4europe said:

The statement from the Watford owner nails it

Seems to me like the clubs in danger of being relegated don't want the season to restart. They are trying to force a situation where there will be no relegation if the league restarts. 

4 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Seems to me like the clubs in danger of being relegated don't want the season to restart. They are trying to force a situation where there will be no relegation if the league restarts. 

spacer.png

• Like 3

There's a very good chance that bottom three will be relegated if the season doesn't restart, as that's what's happening in all other leagues that have cancelled, except for Holland, but they didn't award anyone the title either. Teams just above the bottom three have the most to gain from the season being cancelled. Only way it benefits us is if they cancel relegation or null and void the season completely, which is unlikey since no other league has done that.

• Like 1

I think is a bigger elephant in the room for ending on PPG than the relegation battle and that is United. Is a big chance that City will have the Champions League ban overturned and I also have heard PPG will put Sheffield United above them into 5th place

• Like 1

The new rules for the Bundesliga restart are preposterous.

• High-fives, pinching and spitting are prohibited on the pitch.
  • Players can quickly celebrate goals with brief contact with elbows or feet.
  • Everyone on the bench must wear a face mask and there should be an empty seat between each person.
  • The head coach is allowed to take off the face mask to call out instructions, as long as he is at least one and a half meters from someone else.
  • On match day, each player should be in the locker room for a maximum of 30 to 40 minutes.
  • The teams should come out of the player tunnel at different times. No mascots, no handshakes with the opposing team and no team photos before kick off.

In addition, the home team can be penalized in retrospect with a loss. It happens if a larger group of home supporters gather outside the arena.

3 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Which is?

Watford were able to beat the best team in world football because their entire staff were able to train and prepare the players to be ready for it and they were supported by a great home crowd, not only is this restart taking away the crowd its taking away the ability for the clubs non playing staff to effectively do their jobs both of which will have a huge impact on the playing staff which will be unfair

Just now, Davkaus said:

Lads, we all need to go and buy some Watford scarves.

Yeah in a city with more teams like London, Plop or Manchester I can see it happening. Wonder if 600 Chelsea fans in Spurs kits would be enough to make Spurs lose the game?

17 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Watford were able to beat the best team in world football because their entire staff were able to train and prepare the players to be ready for it and they were supported by a great home crowd, not only is this restart taking away the crowd its taking away the ability for the clubs non playing staff to effectively do their jobs both of which will have a huge impact on the playing staff which will be unfair

On this, without fans that Sheffield United comeback doesnt happen last season or even the Everton game earlier in the season 

1 hour ago, useless said:

There's a very good chance that bottom three will be relegated if the season doesn't restart, 

But isn't the structure a bit different in England? The premier leagues clubs "own" their league so it's not really any bother to them if there's no promotion/relegation to the EFL as it's a separate entity. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52605961

A third Brighton player has tested positive for coronavirus.

The unnamed player, who will now self isolate for 14 days, was tested on Saturday - two other players tested positive earlier in the pandemic.

Brighton players have been training individually at the training ground and the club say this will be allowed to continue.

Premier League clubs are due to meet on Monday for more discussions about their proposed Project Restart plan.

"It is a concern," Brighton chief executive Paul Barber told Sky Sports. "Despite all of the measures that we've been taking over the past few weeks, where the players haven't been involved in any significant training at all, we've still suffered another player testing positive for the virus."

The Premier League has been suspended since 13 March but is aiming to resume behind closed doors in June with most teams faced with nine fixtures left to play.

Project restart may prove beyond us - Parish
Barber has been vocal in his opposition to the league's plans of playing matches at neutral venues with Watford and Aston Villa also objecting to the proposal.

It is understood Premier League clubs are not planning to vote on whether to use neutral venues at Monday's meeting.

The vote looks likely to be held later in May and 14 of the 20 clubs must vote in favour for it to be adopted.

Before voting, league bosses are also awaiting government guidance on the criteria for bio-security at events and ground-safety licensing, which is expected later next week.

Monday's Premier League meeting will feature a vote on whether player contracts are to be extended until the end of the rescheduled season.

In Germany, Bundesliga 2 side Dynamo Dresden announced on Saturday they have put their entire squad and coaching staff into two-week isolation after two players tested positive for coronavirus.

The Bundesliga and Bundesliga 2 are due to restart on Saturday, 16 May.

I think that that's accurate to a degree, but apparently when the premier league was formed there some sort of legal understanding between the premier league and the EFL that there had to teams relegated from the premier league and promoted from the championship, so the championship would have to agree to it. The FA apparently also have a say, and the reports are that they're against relegation from the premier league being voided.

For me there are 2 options that are as fair as it can be to everybody in the league.

Option 1: when "safe" to do so let the teams who have games in hand play those games ( Villa Vs Sheffield utd and Arsenal vs Man City). All teams are equal and then finish on ppg if they so wish to finish the league now. League given to Liverpool 🙄 and bottom 3 go down. The safe to do so conditions will be judged by experts, the goverment etc. EFL have a playoff between the teams in the spots now (Fulham, Brentford, Forest, Preston as all teams have played equal games) winner goes up along with WBA and Leeds. Also means an absoulte minimum of games played and minmising the risk for players and staff.

Option 2: we wait until it is safe to finish the final 10 games, finish them and then plan when to have a new fresh season to start whether that means a 20/21 season or not.

Of course there are so many side issues involved in my options and im sure people will pick holes in my opinion. Of all the others being talked about, for me these suggestions are about as fair and morally correct as i can see it at this stage with whats going on outside the football bubble.

Edited by leighavfc

Â