Covid-19 and Football

Zatman

What's also quite hilarious (to me) is the footage of players training in Germany, Spain and Italy where all of them can be seen two metres apart and training in isolation. 

Yet how is that going to be managed during an actual game? Ludicrous and farcical are words best used to describe the footballing authorities. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

What's also quite hilarious (to me) is the footage of players training in Germany, Spain and Italy where all of them can be seen two metres apart and training in isolation. 

Yet how is that going to be managed during an actual game? Ludicrous and farcical are words best used to describe the footballing authorities. 

I guess it's one of the first steps to get the players fit and ready for when they do get the greenlight and makes sense in that respect. I genuinely can't see any matches being played til next season is due to start though, surely common sense will prevail by June time.

• Like 1

'I am critical of how EVERYTHING is being managed': Neven Subotic hits out at Bundesliga officials and says players live in FEAR of coronavirus when league restarts

• Neven Subotic says Bundesliga players are scared of catching coronavirus 
  • The Union Berlin defender says there is little enthusiasm to resume matches
  • He said it will be hard to enjoy games without supporters cheering them on 
  • Subotic was a key member of Jurgen Klopp's Borussia Dortmund team in 2013 
  • Here’s how to help people impacted by Covid-19

Bundesliga players are living in fear of catching coronavirus when they return to action and believe money is taking priority over health, says Union Berlin defender Neven Subotic.

Subotic, a key member of Jurgen Klopp’s Borussia Dortmund teams and a Champions League finalist in 2013, expects to be in action on May 16 when the German top flight becomes the first major European league to resume 2019-20 season, after Chancellor Angela Merkel gave the green light to do so. 

The Premier League are watching closely as they try to push ahead with Project Restart, which would see the campaign come back on June 12.

et Subotic indicates there is little enthusiasm among players for starting again. There have been 10 positive tests for Covid-19 across the top two divisions this week and health is dominating the thoughts of players as the clock ticks down.

‘[Becoming ill is] definitely the big issue that everyone carries with them. It’s a precarious situation for all of us where it’s going to be impossible to come out of the league with positive remarks,’ he said.

‘There’s going to be a lot of risk management and trying to get to a finished season with the fewest casualties, so to speak. I am critical of how everything is being managed but we understand it’s a difficult situation for everyone.

‘We were one of the last to close down the league and then the approach has been to come back to the league as soon as possible and the financial aspects were always being highlighted.

‘Some of the owners or managers had some remarks that were fairly [unfortunate] in terms of what this crisis means for them or their club and equated them to more of a business. We have postponed the start of the league I don’t know how many times.

‘We want to press fast forward and be in a situation where we don’t have to worry about it but I think that’s unrealistic within the coming months.

‘In the last six weeks we’ve always been hearing ‘it’s going to start soon’. Now it’s actually going to start soon but also for a player it was fairly frustrating because what we want is clarity.’

Asked whether he would enjoy playing again, Subotic told the BBC’s World Football programme: ‘I don’t think so because we’re not going to have games with fans. That’s what makes it special, having a collective moment of celebration.

‘Playing football is fun and challenging but what makes it exceptional is the community aspect of it. That’s gone and it’s a huge thing.

‘What I will definitely enjoy is the first game back with fans in the stadium. I’m looking forward to it and I don’t know when it will happen but that’s the motivation I have.’

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-8303025/Union-Berlin-defender-Neven-Subotic-says-Bundesliga-players-fear-contracting-coronavirus.html

A rare moment that a player cares about the fans as well

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but you’d think after the virus was getting real early in the new year they could have rattled through the remaining league games Jan - March and avoided a lot of the mess they’re trying to untangle now.

14 minutes ago, Genie said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but you’d think after the virus was getting real early in the new year they could have rattled through the remaining league games Jan - March and avoided a lot of the mess they’re trying to untangle now.

sure a certain Premier League manager would have cried as he wanted his little winter break. Ironically probably cost them winning the title already

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

sure a certain Premier League manager would have cried as he wanted his little winter break. Ironically probably cost them winning the title already

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Another couple of games and they could have mathematically secured the title 😂

They are introducing measures to disinfect the balls, cones, flags, and even the bloody pitch when going back to training.

Lads... You ever thought this might not be a good idea?

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Chindie said:

They are introducing measures to disinfect the balls, cones, flags, and even the bloody pitch when going back to training.

Good luck to them getting anti bac wipes. Sainsbury’s haven’t had them for weeks... 😁

10 hours ago, Chindie said:

I can only imagine there’s an awful lot of complaining happening between the players and the PFA. It looks like a game of who will blink first between the Players Union and the FA. Loser gets to carry the blame for ruining everything...

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

For what it’s worth, I think they’ll relegate us if we don’t get back to playing again.

Us going down isn't going to sting anywhere near as much as Leeds getting promoted in the same way when their end of season collapse was fairly inevitable. 

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

For what it’s worth, I think they’ll relegate us if we don’t get back to playing again.

Maybe they will, but to do that they would be completing the season on vastly different rules than everyone signed up for, which I think would create a strong legal challenge. Problem is it wouldn't really help the relegated teams winning £100m each if it didn't count towards FFP considering they're owned by billionaires anyway.

I've always thought voiding the season is by far the least problematic legal solution as you simply state under conditions it was impossible to complete the league within any sensible framework.

I really can't see them playing again as it just isn't feasible to get it all finished by the end of June and there is absolutely no way they can play after transfers are up even if Les from Bootle thinks they'll 'just have to work it out'. I've also seen people mentioning all players having to quarantine during the playing period. Presumably we'll sign the army up to enforce this for their families too.

The only reason it appears the discussion is still ongoing is there is a huge amount of political will to finish the league for a 'morale boost' and some sort of perceived government win.  Also huge pressure from people who don't realise the amount of money you earn doesn't stop you being concerned you'll give the virus to a sick relative and they'll die.

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

Us going down isn't going to sting anywhere near as much as Leeds getting promoted in the same way when their end of season collapse was fairly inevitable. 

Throw baggies in there too

We'll never hear the end of it 

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Let them relegate us, this season has already proven what a corrupt league it is

While I absolutely agree on football being corrupt I still rather be on the side that is being "helped" by this corruption than the side that is suffering from it.

As a PL side we are sharted on by the big clubs and those who run the game, but compared to how clubs in smaller leagues and in the lower leagues in England have it and will have it when the dust settles after this we are still very privileged. 

7 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

I wish them luck in court going against our billionaire owners while breaking one of the only rules that's actually written down.

• Like 3

Is the season finished? No

Can we finish the season? No

Are any of the teams at the bottom mathematically relegated? No

They have to void it, it’s the least problematic scenario and nobody is gaining or losing anything. 

Â