Covid-19 and Football

Zatman

So the message from the bottom six is that they're quite happy to play the extra games to finish the season, as long as they don't affect the actual result of the season. It's a really clear message as to what these games are for - they're to fulfil the TV contract and nothing else - the message that teams that might be affected by the results will only go along with the scheme if they get a guarantee that they won't be affected by the results is a pretty clear indication.

Of course, if you take away relegation - the football itself gets potentially even worse - it would become a set of friendlies for everyone in the bottom six, as well as pretty much everyone in the top three after a couple of games - whilst in and around the European places it'll be a massive and key battle. We're hardly going to risk our first team players for that.

Imagine Wolves desperately needing a win away at Villa in order to qualify for Europe in a game played in Burton on a training pitch with debuts for Philogene-Bidace, Bridge, Barry, Kesler and Chukwuemeka and Henri Lansbury as Captain - whilst at the same time, Sheffield United just need to match the Wolves result, but they're playing a full strength Man Utd side at Bodymoor Heath in a game Utd need to win to make the Champions league. Hardly sporting integrity is it?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, blandy said:

I think the season should not be re-started until people can be let in to watch and the players and fans be guaranteed safe. If it means finishing it in December, or next year, that's what should happen. It shouldn't be artificially ended at Burton or wherever. Can it and void everything, or play it out under proper conditions, when that's eventually possible.

I think that waiting until there are crowds will be really difficult - it might be the case that the whole of next season is played behind closed doors - which from a sporting perspective is at least consistent - UEFA's change to the Euros to move them to lots of countries could be a stroke of good fortune as it might prevent trouble with movement between countries and allow crowds in. 

If it is that long a wait before crowds can return, I don't think football can wait - too many of the clubs will have gone pop by then.

As you say, I also really don't like the idea of artificially ending the season at neutral venues (which look like they'll be stadiums now rather than training grounds) - in fact, I think we're probably at the point already where the remaining games will have no real relation to the contest they're part of in sporting terms.

For me, they should be looking at either voiding the season altogether or performing a calculation on the results as they stood - which might mean we go down.

• Like 1

If they don't play the remaining games, I wonder if we'll get a pro rata refund on our season tickets? Does anyone have time to look at the T&Cs?

12 minutes ago, Genie said:

They’re still in denial that there is a way to continue the season during a pandemic.

But there is no evidence next season can be completed either.

Surely it's more doable to finish 10 games in a restricted format rather than potentially void this one + the next season?

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

But there is no evidence next season can be completed either.

Surely it's more doable to finish 10 games in a restricted format rather than potentially void this one + the next season?

How is it more doable? We can’t do 1 game safely as it stands. 

If they want to finish this season then they’ll need to put it on ice until it’s ready to resume which may be into 2021. 

Edited by Genie
  • Like 2

Holding on to complete this season in 2021 is technically farcical though as we have already had an extended break and for the record books too.

It would be crazy to finish season 2019/20 in 2021.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, blandy said:

I maybe misunderstand, (apologies) but I don't see it the same (as I interpret what you're saying). It seems to me like the teams at the bottom know the games WILL affect the actual outcome of the season, and as they stand to lose their status, they damned well want the season to be played under "fair" conditions which allow them their weighted (through home advantage) chance of winning enough to survive. Particularly where they have more home than away games left. It's really tight at the bottom and neutral grounds and no crowds removes an advantage they by rights (they feel) should not be taken away from them.

I think the season should not be re-started until people can be let in to watch and the players and fans be guaranteed safe. If it means finishing it in December, or next year, that's what should happen. It shouldn't be artificially ended at Burton or wherever. Can it and void everything, or play it out under proper conditions, when that's eventually possible.

You're right it's just money - no one is clamouring about the FA Cup, so sporting integrity - my arse!

By the sounds of it next season would be wiped out too then and most clubs would go broke. It has to be played under closed doors. 

in terms of this years competition I think you cant play it behind closed doors and then expect it to be the same competition that started in August

but then the problem is using that same logic you cant call a competition that starts this august (or whenever) and also has a number of games behind closed doors fair either

take us out of it, man city vs Liverpool in a tight 20/21 season title race, man city vs Liverpool is played behind closed doors in October 20, Liverpool vs city is played in front of 40K in march 21, Liverpool win the home game and draw the away game winning the league by a point....that's also going to cause a whole lot of trouble

the difference is that at least next season would be known and agreed upon at the start meaning that the complaints will be muted

23 minutes ago, PaulC said:

By the sounds of it next season would be wiped out too then and most clubs would go broke. It has to be played under closed doors. 

More clubs will go bust playing behind closed doors. TV money is scarce for lower league teams and they cant afford to sign professionals with no income

43 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Clubs will have to cut their cloths accordingly.

There will be a huge disparity of wages across first teams as those on long term big money deals are playing along side youth players on next to nothing.

At least if games are played behind closed doors with the prospect of relegation removed there won't be any fans in the stadium to boo the lack of interest and effort on show. It'll be worse than a pre-season friendly.

32 minutes ago, Zatman said:

More clubs will go bust playing behind closed doors. TV money is scarce for lower league teams and they cant afford to sign professionals with no income

be even worse if no football though. The Premier League can help out the lower leagues if income coming from tv revenue and sponsorship. Maybe they wont but no money for another year everybody is screwed. 

10 minutes ago, Genie said:

At least if games are played behind closed doors with the prospect of relegation removed there won't be any fans in the stadium to boo the lack of interest and effort on show. It'll be worse than a pre-season friendly.

Will be like this, even has the Sky promotional skills :) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

be even worse if no football though. The Premier League can help out the lower leagues if income coming from tv revenue and sponsorship. Maybe they wont but no money for another year everybody is screwed. 

What is the interest of the Liverpool or City helping out Wycombe, Carlisle etc. What is the benefit of this for them? Would probably cost 100-150 million to keep all of the lower league clubs afloat 

I bet that at least 65 of the 92 clubs will go out of existence or revert to amateur football if they are forced to play behind closed doors. These teams survive on gate receipts not Sky finances

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

What is the interest of the Liverpool or City helping out Wycombe, Carlisle etc. What is the benefit of this for them? Would probably cost 100-150 million to keep all of the lower league clubs afloat 

I bet that at least 65 of the 92 clubs will go out of existence or revert to amateur football if they are forced to play behind closed doors. These teams survive on gate receipts not Sky finances

so is it better for lower league clubs not to play at all? A genuine question would it make it easier for them to survive. 

Ligue 1 club Amiens has launched a petition "to demand justice" after being relegated from the French top flight before the season could be completed.

Paris St-Germain were awarded the title on Thursday, with Amiens and Toulouse relegated after the French government cancelled the 2019-20 sporting season because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Amiens were 19th in the table, four points behind Nimes and 10 points ahead of Toulouse with 10 games left to play.

“Amiens is launching a petition to demand justice for this very consequential decision which goes against sporting fair play,” a statement said.

The petition asks that the league's governing body, Ligue de Football Professionnel, reconsiders its decision to relegate the two sides and instead play Ligue 1 with 22 teams instead of 20 in 2020-21.

This would include Lorient and Lens, who have been promoted from Ligue 2.

The petition had reached more than 4,000 of its 5,000 target on Monday afternoon.

Here we go.

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

6 hours ago, PaulC said:

so is it better for lower league clubs not to play at all? A genuine question would it make it easier for them to survive. 

The thing is, you're both right, which is why I can't see any alternative except a bailout of the industry.

• Like 1

Â