Covid-19 and Football

Zatman

There will definitely be some very expensive legal battles if they don't complete or void the season.

In hindsight, there should have been a contingency plan in the competition rules, because they've left themselves with the decision of trying to pick what's "fair" after the games are played, knowing which clubs will be effected, which essentially looks like they're just deciding who they want to relegate/get into Europe. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

Yes huge difference between tv revenue of the Premier League and french league 1. Even the championship gets more tv revenue. 

Huge difference between morals as well 😉

10 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Since 2008 poverty has been a major issue in Spain and things are going to be worse there since the outbreak so it’s understandable the govt need to get the economy going 

I cant imagine La Liga behind closed doors will help the economy boom 

• Like 2

I can see them getting the premier League done at neutral venues, it would be bad but I can see them doing it. What I can't see is them starting the championship or lower leagues again. Surely the scale of venues, policing and required testing/doctors rules that out.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Didn't the La Liga president yesterday allude to football as a necessary industry like manufacturing and fishing?

What a ******

sad but probably true, no doubt the industry can link itself to several others, pubs, gambling, tourism, even food and drink sales, would be interesting to see who loses what because of the Euros (and Olympics) being postponed, that's got to be worth a few million to tescos

its an industry worth £6bn just in football terms, unfortunately the gambling industry probably doubles that figure

Le Parisien in France claim that senior French government officials are engaged in a lobbying effort with their partners in Germany, Italy, Spain and England so that None of the other top five leagues’ 2019/20 seasons restart.

Edited by rbcuk
  • Thanks 1

People saying that football will unite the nation are also so far off. I wonder what the average rating for a Sky/TV game is. Villa vs Burnley on a Monday night or Saturday midday, I imagine is not bringing in more than half a million viewers.

Would it be that much more than the average Eastenders episode for example

Every business around the world will be having continuing discussions about how quickly they can safely get back to work. I’m not sure why people are surprised the Premier League is also looking at every option available to it. 

I suspect the end result however is going to be a cancelling of remaining fixtures and the league decided on a ‘points per game’ basis.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

Every business around the world will be having continuing discussions about how quickly they can safely get back to work. I’m not sure why people are surprised the Premier League is also looking at every option available to it. 

I suspect the end result however is going to be a cancelling of remaining fixtures and the league decided on a ‘points per game’ basis.  

It’ll obviously be money driven.

Whichever option is picked will trigger several legal challenges for those losing out.

Personally I think cancelling the leagues is best (I’ve changed my tune) as it means nobody is getting something they might not have got with PPG which is where the arguments will be. It’s just a sorry, league couldn’t finish therefore it didn’t happen. It restarts when safe. Same for teams almost promoted, they were not mathematically promoted so they aren’t being awarded anything without actually securing it.

With PPG then the likes of Villa will not accept a relegation when we were not mathematically down. A saving grace for the PL is that Liverpool had not mathematically won the title so don’t have to worry about that headache.

If they want to restart the league August/September time then they will have to cancel this one in my mind. Legal disputes of PPG might stop 20/21 starting.

I can’t believe there is no contingency for this kind of scenario, if the games can’t be completed due to unforeseen circumstances.

Edited by Genie

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

People saying that football will unite the nation are also so far off. I wonder what the average rating for a Sky/TV game is. Villa vs Burnley on a Monday night or Saturday midday, I imagine is not bringing in more than half a million viewers.

Would it be that much more than the average Eastenders episode for example

Most watched premier league game ever is city utd in 2012 with just over 4 million, very few games get anywhere near 3 million viewers. Eastenders still somehow gets around 5 million viewers per episode

On 28/04/2020 at 14:11, villa4europe said:

France have cancelled the leagues 

Apparently current table is final, PSG champions.

PSG - Champions
Marseille/Rennes - Champions League
Lille/Reims/Nice - Europa League
Toulouse and Amiens - Relegated

Good news for Liverpool if adopted. Awful news for us.

Edited by Genie

The issue with the prem and relegation is that 3 teams go down and only 2 teams go up automatically.

Could they make 3rd place in the championship an automatic place? That feels like just making things up. 

Edited by DCJonah

Â