Covid-19 and Football

Zatman

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Yep, looks like the government made the August decision and the cancelling of the league is a reaction to that 

Its the right decision by both and one that deep down I think most of the associations would like their governments to make for them 

It makes it easier for the leagues to respond if the Government have mandated no football to be played. Will our Government ban professional football for a few months? 

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

Liverpool fans after hearing France and Holland cancelled the seasons

jordan.jpg

Despite the hilarity of them missing out on the league the bad thing is that technically they would still be European champions, here's hoping they somehow manage to finish the champions league in Dubai or something 😉

2 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Despite the hilarity of them missing out on the league the bad thing is that technically they would still be European champions, here's hoping they somehow manage to finish the champions league in Dubai or something 😉

I could live with that if they were denied the title after one of the most dominant displays in a generation :lol: 

Id love it if the FA called Tom Werner and said, I’ve got some good news and some bad news... the good news is you get to keep the European cup for another 12 months... 

Edited by Genie

Worth pointing out that they haven't decided that the season is null and void, just that they won't be playing again. Every chance it will go down to average point per game or the table will stand as it is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LakotaDakota said:

Looks like it is at government level rather than fa level, just banned it until at least August

In the normal world FIFA would throw a wobbly as they hate government interfering with the 'beautiful' game. Apart when the bribe FIFA officals for world cup bids.

Allegedly.

But seriously how can they babble on about integrity if half the leagues in Europe stop and the other half doggedly try to finish   in hermetically sealed ,atmosphere free, environments?

13 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I think you're absolutely right. I get out of breath wearing a scarf or T-shirt wrapped around my face at the supermarket; the effect of a mask must be similar. I can't believe that they don't significantly affect your breathing.

In any case, they would never stay on properly during the match anyway, as they would be bumped and torn and ripped. The idea is a non-starter IMO.

Don't they also become pretty useless once they get moistened by your breath after a relatively short amount of time?  Physical exertion probably makes it even worse.  The idea seems pretty ludicrous to me and it can't be long before they call the rest of the season off.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, djdabush said:

Worth pointing out that they haven't decided that the season is null and void, just that they won't be playing again. Every chance it will go down to average point per game or the table will stand as it is.

In fact, it seems we can go beyond that - Honigstein claims voiding the league is 'not an option', and the league are looking at three possible ways of deciding the table (PPG, table after last game everyone completed, and table at the mid-point of the season):

So, before people get too excited, Liverpool are still almost certainly going to be awarded the title, and we are almost certainly going to be relegated. Best not to gloat TBH.

I imagine they will follow the Dutch. PSG finish top but not champions. Still get Champions League. European football decided on averages. Relegating teams this way is demonstrably unfair. 

Edited by The_Steve
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

I imagine they will follow the Dutch. PSG finish top but not champions. Still get Champions. European football decided on averages. Relegating teams this way is demonstrably unfair. 

Indeed, considering the amount of money involved and not being in a position to do anything about it.

What if a team which, in any ordinary circumstances, could survive but goes bust due to enforced relegation? It’s a real possibility for many teams across Europe. We’ve seen teams spiral with repeat relegations and crippling debts before. 

What sets the PL apart from every other league is the absurd amount of money involved, even for the bottom teams.

This makes relegating (and  promoting) teams a much more complicated issue here than anywhere else. These teams, us included also have very rich owners that can hire very expensive and annoying lawyers who will make sure it becomes a drawn out and likely very difficult process.

It's all about money, and in the PL there is a lot of it. Will be interesting to see how it pans out.

We’re going to get paid until our contracts expire at the end of June and I assume that if football returns before then we will be able to play for Colchester again. But the situation still hasn’t been clarified. And what happens if they can’t finish the season until the end of July? It might be a case when we can only play five games in June and there are another four games left to play plus the play-offs, so the boys who have been released can’t play.

We’ve lost our captain, a right-back, midfielder and an attacker who have all played regularly this season so that is almost half our team. It would be frustrating if we aren’t able to complete it, especially because some of us now don’t have a club to go to next season and need to be able to showcase our talents to get a move elsewhere.

I’m not sure how they can resolve it – just deciding the table on a points-per-game ratio and then having play-offs means that any teams who could have made a late charge don’t have any chance. I remember Tranmere last year weren’t anywhere near the play-offs with 10 games to go and they ended up being promoted. But there are so many risks in trying to play the matches behind closed doors that I’m not sure if it’s a good idea or not.

Frank Nouble describes the situation at Colchester. A sad reality for many footballers outside of the PL bubble.

19 hours ago, sne said:

What sets the PL apart from every other league is the absurd amount of money involved, even for the bottom teams.

This makes relegating (and  promoting) teams a much more complicated issue here than anywhere else. These teams, us included also have very rich owners that can hire very expensive and annoying lawyers who will make sure it becomes a drawn out and likely very difficult process.

It's all about money, and in the PL there is a lot of it. Will be interesting to see how it pans out.

Yes huge difference between tv revenue of the Premier League and french league 1. Even the championship gets more tv revenue. 

Â