Covid-19 and Football

Zatman

18 minutes ago, useless said:

Toulouse were/are 27 points from safety. If they've got a case then we surely will too.

Exactly, we're less than 1 win from safety and have a game in hand. Are we in the relegation zone really? :D

There would quite rightly be major uproar at B6 if they tried to tell us we're relegated which is why I don't think the PL can get away with current table is final, or PPG because its so tight.

Yes, Liverpool deserve to be champions, but there's too many other positions that can and would have drastically changed.

It will be frustrating but I don’t think we really have much of a case. These are exceptional circumstances and if the league is cancelled and the current table stands then so be it. 

• Like 1

Objectively, it appears it would be far easier for the PL to simply not relegate anybody than it would be for them to relegate the current bottom three and promote Leeds, West Brom + someone else.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

That feels like just making things up. 

The whole thing is just making things up. There's no way they get away with anything short of voiding the season if they had nothing about this in the rules.

Hard to argue with any of this:

“I want to forcefully make my position clear: any decision to relegate a team based on the provisional classification taken from the 27th or 28th matchday taken against Toulouse would be unjust, unfair and unfounded in law… An abuse of power.”

“Consequently, a relegation pronounced on the basis of the provisional classification at the end of the 28th or 27th matchday would constitute an unacceptable departure from the principles of fairness and sports ethics of which the LFP and the FFF are the guarantors. Any unilateral decision to relegate would constitute a sanction not provided for by the applicable regulations.”

“In light of all of the above, TFC’s request is simply that the FFF and LFP abide by their own rules and act as guarantors of ethical and fair sports. Any other decision, which does not allow TFC to assert its right to opportunities of continued sporting and fairness, would be immediately challenged before the relevant courts.”

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

It will be frustrating but I don’t think we really have much of a case. These are exceptional circumstances and if the league is cancelled and the current table stands then so be it. 

Depends on the contract

Said before I'm surprised none of our media or journalists have managed to get hold of the wording which would therefore render all the guessing pointless (who am I kidding that's not a surprise at all...) 

messy further down the leagues too, Look at Wycome in league 1, currently sat 8th & out of the play offis but could go joint 2nd if they win their game in hand, tranmere are in the bottom 3 by 3 points but have won their last 3 games and have a game in hand over the team (wimbledon) 4th from bottom and still have to play them. They can't just promote/relegate teams on where things are now, Go back a few years and Leicester would have been relegated at this stage of the season, They pulled off one of the biggest shocks ever both by actually staying up & then winning the league a year on.

Talk of playing the remaining 90 or so prem games at st georges park, 3 games per day, all on tv. Might be the only way it is actually achievebale in any sort of sensible format but who knows what will happen if some of the older managers/coaches end up getting it

They need to make a decision on Europe too & soon, Wolves could end up playing qualifiers for the uefa league in a month or two so despite still being in this years and could potentially win it meaning they would be qualifying for the wrong competition next year ...

Edited by LakotaDakota

It would take a very brave person to relegate the three teams in the relegation zone as things stand. Especially when we have a game in hand. The fallout of that would be far worse than Leeds and West Brom complaining on why they can't go up. 

I'm very surprised by the decision they've taken in France. I hope this doesn't set a precedent but I have absolutely zero faith in the Premier League making the right decision. Especially when they'll be under increasing pressure to award Liverpool the title. Them being the victims of everything and nothings ever fair on Liverpool etc. 

Seems legit, BBC are reporting on the audio and confirming who it is so no reason to believe it isn't real.

Sounds very much like the most likely outcome is no restart, and no relegation. Teams will be promoted and more relegation places for the next couple of seasons to even it out.

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Seems legit, BBC are reporting on the audio and confirming who it is so no reason to believe it isn't real.

Sounds very much like the most likely outcome is no restart, and no relegation. Teams will be promoted and more relegation places for the next couple of seasons to even it out.

Agreed - it's unarguably legit. Probably about as good an outcome we could realistically hope for.

I can see some arguments being:-

• Only Premier League (and very bottom league) will have a strange number of teams next season
  • Premier League Money gained in additional games (TV, Gates) etc. will be argued to 'trickle down' to the lower divisions
  • Marketing Premier League next season for TV will be easier - "most exciting league ever"
  • Minimal legal challenge - possibly the likes of Forest but it's tenuous - and there's benefits in it for themselves having less rivals next season
  • Everyone will know where they are sooner meaning they can budget and make contract decisions
  • Like 1

That's the sweetner for the remaining teams in the championship really.

Certainly Forest would feel aggrieved at not getting a chance to win the play offs and go up (if 3rd does get promoted) but you counter with....hang on there's nobody like us coming down with millions of parachute payments and 3 more teams will come up from league 1 and generally they struggle nowadays given Luton and Barnsley were promoted from league 1 and both have been in bottom 3 pretty much all season, infact Charlton dropped into bottom 3 aswell so that's the three promoted all likely to go straight back down.

So likes of Forest, Sheff Weds, Preston and Brentford will all have their best ever chance to get promoted to premier league next season IF they can keep their finances going (will be easier said than done given BCD is likely until Jan 2021) and I assume 3 promoted spots remains the same.

It's not ideal at all but really no outcome is going to be great in whatever is decided. Just imagine for a second if this had happened 12 months ago. We were still only 5th or 6th at that point so would've been no promotion for us with a voided season.

15 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

Most watched premier league game ever is city utd in 2012 with just over 4 million, very few games get anywhere near 3 million viewers. Eastenders still somehow gets around 5 million viewers per episode

To be fair, if Eastenders was on a channel that costs about thirty quid a month to watch or whatever it is, it probably wouldn't do very well either.

16 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Your wrong. Simply because the game in hand.

If we all played the same amount of games yes, or if we had our game and even if we won were still in relegation then yes we dont have a leg to stand on.

Relegating us is more of  legal case than leeds and wba coming up.

Â