Covid-19 and Football

Zatman

10 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

The precedent set by playing football again is extremely dangerous.

You simply cannot expect the population to queue outside supermarkets, not go within 2 metres of each other, not visit dying relatives and not go to pubs and then allow a football match to be played. Closed doors or not, I’m sorry, it’s not fair to allow a football match to be played and then not let your average Joe go to the pub. 

Football isn’t special. If I can’t go and see my elderly parents, Villa shouldn’t be playing Sheffield Utd. 

Thats the thing. If you bring football back but tell people they cant see their family it defies all logic. 

People over here wont have it and you will see more people braaking the lock down regulations put in place. You out football back when we can see our families again.

21 hours ago, useless said:

Basing the final table on points per game would be just as unfair to us as it would it would basing the final standings on the table as it stands now, because we're still disadvantaged by the fact that we've played a game less than everyone else and so have had less opportunities to improve our points per game average. On the flipside to that Sheffield United would gain an unfair advantage over Wolves because they've played a game less and so have had less opportunities to drop points. Basically PPG isn't fair unless everyone has played the same amount of games.

It can't be *both* a disadvantage to us *and also* an advantage to Sheffield United to have played a game less. Making this argument would require you to be 100% confident that we would win or draw the game in hand, while Sheffield United would draw or lose.

That's exactly the same as saying that if the season was ended now we wouldn't be disadvanted because of playing a game less than everyone else because you couldn't be one hundred percent confident that we'd win that game extra game. When you work out the table based on PPG average it can indeed both disadvantage and advantage teams that have played less games than everyone else, because they've had less games to either improve their PPG average, or make it worse. Also our game in hand is against Sheffield United, so playing it would literally disadvantage one of us and advantage the other, if we win we stay up and they miss out on sixth place, or if we lose we go down and they go sixth.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, useless said:

That's exactly the same as saying that if the season was ended now we wouldn't be disadvanted because of playing a game less than everyone else because you couldn't be one hundred percent confident that we'd win that game extra game. When you work out the table based on PPG average it can indeed both disadvantage and advantage teams that have played less games than everyone else, because they've had less games to either improve their PPG average, or make it worse. Also our game in hand is against Sheffield United, so playing it would literally disadvantage one of us and advantage the other, if we win we stay up and they miss out on sixth place, or if we lose we go down and they go sixth.

If Sheffield United were to win their game in hand against us, then having played a game less would be a disadvantage to them and an advantage to us as far as PPG were concerned.

The whole point of PPG is to smooth the differences that occur due to games in hand.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, useless said:

Can you please drop this about PPG? Averaging the most likely outcome of games in hand based on all matches that have been played so far is literally its whole purpose. Obviously, any outcome of the game is possible, but the average is a compromise. You make it sounds like we’d still be talking about PPG if an equal number of matches had been played and so we may have taken the chance to improve by beating Sheffield Utd, but then the standings would just be called ‘the league table’.

25 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

PPG to me is still shit because we have West ham to play and can over take them with a win

Its still in our hands

If we had 2 or 3 games left with no scenario in our control then there is a better argument 

We could overtake them with a win *if we matched their results head-to-head in the other games*, which there's no reason to be certain we would do (of course, we could also exceed their results as well). If there were just that last game left, you would have a better argument.

No I can't drop it about working out the final table based on PPG average, it's no fairer than just declaring the table as it stands now as the final standing and relegating the current bottom three.

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Nobody is denying that, but is also, factually, 'loseable' and 'drawable' as well.

And taking the claret and blue specs off, given the relative performances of both teams this season, it’s far more likely to be a draw or a loss than it is a win. Let’s be honest. 

• Like 1

Yeah let's face it, they'd wipe the floor with us on form...

However a one-off game, possibly under the lights with Villa Park full....who am I kidding we'd still shoot ourselves in the foot 😉

That's why I ain't missing football one bit, it's been an awful season for Villa.

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang

1 hour ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Yeah let's face it, they'd wipe the floor with us on form...

However a one-off game, possibly under the lights with Villa Park full....who am I kidding we'd still shoot ourselves in the foot 😉

That's why I ain't missing football one bit, it's been an awful season for Villa.

I cant see 14 clubs voting for this. Us bournmouth and norwich will vote against it. United sheffield united wolves spurs and maybe arsenal will too

That leaves 12 premier league clubs

9 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I cant see 14 clubs voting for this. Us bournmouth and norwich will vote against it. United sheffield united wolves spurs and maybe arsenal will too

That leaves 12 premier league clubs

Man City so that they retain the title, maybe Everton so that Liverpool don't win (but the hand holding rivalry good for the city bollocks will probably see them vote in favour) 

1 minute ago, LakotaDakota said:

properly scrapped too, No champions, no promotion, no relegation. Just start again next season exactly the same as this season started. Still seems like the only real fair & sensible way to go unless leagues are somehow able to be completed

Exactly the only way it should be done

53 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Man City so that they retain the title, maybe Everton so that Liverpool don't win (but the hand holding rivalry good for the city bollocks will probably see them vote in favour) 

So this wont work if comes to vote rightly so. This idea sucks.

Â