Covid-19 and Football

Zatman

8 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Your wrong. Simply because the game in hand.

If we all played the same amount of games yes, or if we had our game and even if we won were still in relegation then yes we dont have a leg to stand on.

Relegating us is more of  legal case than leeds and wba coming up.

I didn’t say we don’t have a leg to stand on. I said we don’t have MUCH of a case. 

There’s certainly an argument that it would be unfair. But how would you make it fairer in that situation? If they gave us 3 points other teams would rightly be able to say “hang on, they might not have won that game”. And let’s be honest we wouldn’t have won that game. 

We’d certainly hard done by but in a scenario where we have teams still getting relegated, it’s unfortunately the fairest way to do it. 

Fortunately for us it sounds like the more likely scenario is no relegation. 

31 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I didn’t say we don’t have a leg to stand on. I said we don’t have MUCH of a case. 

There’s certainly an argument that it would be unfair. But how would you make it fairer in that situation? If they gave us 3 points other teams would rightly be able to say “hang on, they might not have won that game”. And let’s be honest we wouldn’t have won that game. 

We’d certainly hard done by but in a scenario where we have teams still getting relegated, it’s unfortunately the fairest way to do it. 

Fortunately for us it sounds like the more likely scenario is no relegation. 

The fairest way is one of two options 

Void season

Promote the top two in championship and no relegations with 5 going down.

They going to have to make a decision soon but when i hear aguero saying players are scared to play at the moment it does make you think how are players going to be motivated to play in empty stadiums?

Its a mess

21 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

The fairest way is one of two options 

Void season

Promote the top two in championship and no relegations with 5 going down.

I agree. But the scenario we were discussing was if there were relegations. 

I don’t think promoting the top 2 of the championship is any different to relegating 3 from the premier league.

The chasing pack will be just as disgruntled about not getting up as we would be being relegated. It’s not a solution imo.

There's still an air of unreality about this conversation (not targeted specifically at posters here, but at the entire discussion throughout the media).

This is an important point IMO:

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

They going to have to make a decision soon but when i hear aguero saying players are scared to play at the moment it does make you think how are players going to be motivated to play in empty stadiums?

What's behind Aguero's comment here, is that the virus is not even remotely under control. We are still at the very start of the pandemic. Most likely there will be no widely-available vaccine at any point during *next* season, and it is therefore extremely difficult to see how fans can attend matches. It's likely that next season will be significantly interrupted by another lockdown, especially during the December-January period when the fixture list is busiest. Meanwhile, we are talking about *adding* teams to the division so teams will have to play yet more matches.

One answer might be to say no football until August, then play the remaining matches from this season spread out over the length of next season, and hope that the raging public health crisis is under control for the 21/22 season. I haven't seen anybody at all propose that, though I think it's more realistic than any other ideas I've seen.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

There's still an air of unreality about this conversation (not targeted specifically at posters here, but at the entire discussion throughout the media).

What's behind Aguero's comment here, is that the virus is not even remotely under control. We are still at the very start of the pandemic. Most likely there will be no widely-available vaccine at any point during *next* season, and it is therefore extremely difficult to see how fans can attend matches. It's likely that next season will be significantly interrupted by another lockdown, especially during the December-January period when the fixture list is busiest. Meanwhile, we are talking about *adding* teams to the division so teams will have to play yet more matches.

One answer might be to say no football until August, then play the remaining matches from this season spread out over the length of next season, and hope that the raging public health crisis is under control for the 21/22 season. I haven't seen anybody at all propose that, though I think it's more realistic than any other ideas I've seen.

I think its the most logical idea if they insist on continuing but the issue is player contracts which expire June 30. Watford will have no goalkeeper and might be a risk for either keeper to sign a short term deal as both probably looking for a last contract. 

On the plus side we will have no Drinkwater

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

I think its the most logical idea if they insist on continuing but the issue is player contracts which expire June 30. Watford will have no goalkeeper and might be a risk for either keeper to sign a short term deal as both probably looking for a last contract. 

You could open the summer transfer window as normal.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I can't see them voluntarily sacrificing a whole season of tv money for a quarter of a season. They are scared sh*tless in just voiding the the rest of this  season and loss of money, why will they want it to be about 3 times worse? If they play next year behind closed doors I hope it will make them appreciate that without live crowds, TV sport is nothing.

And you never know they might be a bit more accommodating in the future with fixture changes etc. Monday night football I am looking at you.  I am probably being too optimistic.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Aguero is a family man so like I would be he’s not delighted at the prospect of having to mix with large amounts of people in the name of entertainment. The idea of social distancing in a game of football is ridiculous. What about injuries, staff, fans, officials, spitting, travelling, sweating, grabbing, pushing.

They really need to abandon the idea of restarting until the pandemic is under control and a vaccine or effective treatment is available.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 2

I feel like they'd have to stagger relegation across two years. Five/six teams going down would be funny though. Everyone but top 6 in big danger.

• Like 1

The more I think of it the more I think voiding the season is the path of least resistance.

We can’t finish the season, and we can apply current status as final.

Edited by Genie

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

We would only have nyland and steer who hasnt played in 6 months.

12 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

We would only have nyland and steer who hasnt played in 6 months.

Kalinic would also be back, also injured.

No idea when Heaton is expected to be back.

1 hour ago, sne said:

Kalinic would also be back, also injured.

No idea when Heaton is expected to be back.

We are not allowed to play him or wesley unfortunately even if they are both fit

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

We are not allowed to play him or wesley unfortunately even if they are both fit

Remains to be seen how they handle registrations and contracts should they decide to restart the PL.

3 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

I can't see them voluntarily sacrificing a whole season of tv money for a quarter of a season. They are scared sh*tless in just voiding the the rest of this  season and loss of money, why will they want it to be about 3 times worse? If they play next year behind closed doors I hope it will make them appreciate that without live crowds, TV sport is nothing.

And you never know they might be a bit more accommodating in the future with fixture changes etc. Monday night football I am looking at you.  I am probably being too optimistic.

You're very likely right that they won't 'voluntarily' do that, but the basic problem is that they are trying to make the virus fit around the football season, rather than the football to fit around the virus, and there's only one winner in that fight.

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

De graafschap and cambuur have started a legal proceeding against the Dutch FA due to their non promotion, hearing starts 8th May and its expected to last 2 weeks 

Only the 'tip of the iceberg' methinks, it's going to get so messy this football business.

Talk of integrity is nothing, it's all Money...leaves such a bad feeling with me when people are still being infected and dying!

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang

All 20 Serie A clubs have voted to complete the season, despite reports some were against it.

It had been said Torino and Brescia were in opposition to the campaign resuming, causing a split between the government, the FIGC and the other 18 top-flight sides.

However, Lega Serie A announced at an emergency assembly meeting over conference call on Friday that there was an unanimous desire to fulfil fixtures.

The meeting is primarily being held to address the issue of TV rights, which has seen Serie A reportedly threaten legal action against Sky, DAZN and IMG.

As it stands, the government will abandon 2019-20 if the FIGC does not suitably modify its protocol to ensure the safety of players and coaches for the remainder of the coronavirus pandemic.

Bologna, Parma, SPAL and Sassuolo, meanwhile, have been given permission by the region of Emilia-Romagna to resume training on May 4.

It comes despite the government’s ruling that only individual sports can start up again on that date.

https://www.football-italia.net/152742/serie-complete-season

Guess this is about positioning themselves against potential lawsuits about TV-deals. 

"We want to play but the government won't let us" Sue them instead of us.

Â