Covid-19 and Football

Zatman

Changing the rules midseason is laughable.

This is one of those things were you just wish they'd come out with exactly what the thinking is behind all this. I mean, we know what it is, it's because there's a **** ton of money that is riding on the season being finished and that overrides everything, but the dancing around it is absurd. 

Unfortunately, football is quite a long way down the list of priorities when you've got a global crisis going on, and I kinda don't care that the League is miffed they'll need to pay back a shit load of cash from the Sky trough and/or have to bugger up their view of next season too.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Zatman said:

He is 100% spot on

I think hes talking bollocks myself. Cant expect a footballer not to stick up for footballers.

He said its different for footballers at lower levels to except pay cuts but not Premier League players 

Edited by PaulC

apparently in Germany the players will have to wear masks to play the games

Government also not making a decision until May 6th whether games can be played

Edited by Zatman

I'm just wondering about the potential danger in wearing a mask whilst running around?

Does a mask limit the amount of air one can take into the lungs? Will the temperature make any difference specifically with the weather getting warmer?

I just have this image of players collapsing as they can't circulate their breath correctly...sorry for this I'm just really big on the breath, it's important right? Think Qigong, Wim Hof, meditation etc.

It seems ludicrous to make players wear masks, I've heard South Korea will do the same. It's bonkers!

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang

30 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I'm just wondering about the potential danger in wearing a mask whilst running around?

Does a mask limit the amount of air one can take into the lungs? Will the temperature make any difference specifically with the weather getting warmer?

I just have this image of players collapsing as they can't circulate their breath correctly...sorry for this I'm just really big on the breath, it's important right? Think Qigong, Wim Hof, meditation etc.

It seems ludicrous to make players wear masks, I've heard South Korea will do the same. It's bonkers!

Germany in the summer last year was pushing 40 degrees at times, football in this kind of heat is bad enough. Italy is going to be very warm and Spain as well

It’s ludicrous and selfish that the premier league are still pushing for a return, but I’m not surprised. 

For me there are just too many questions. What happens after a game is played, someone tests positive. That persons performance could be worsened which could affect a result. Is that going to be then voided? Will that teams fixtures then be cancelled? There just far too many questions and unfair advantages that could arise. Plus as others have said there are far more important things before football.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I think you're absolutely right. I get out of breath wearing a scarf or T-shirt wrapped around my face at the supermarket; the effect of a mask must be similar. I can't believe that they don't significantly affect your breathing.

In any case, they would never stay on properly during the match anyway, as they would be bumped and torn and ripped. The idea is a non-starter IMO.

• Like 1

I'm sure there's some minutes of a meeting somewhere that has something to the effect of 'either the season gets finished no matter what and any cost that is less than paying back Sky and co globally is acceptable, or we force the authorities to stop is going ahead, in which case we direct the lawyers letters to them and our insurers'.

It's absurd, when we have a situation where, quite understandably, we've basically put the country into emergency measures to prevent a massive scale crisis, which has meant life has had to alter quickly and significantly for the vast majority of people, that we're contemplating putting the football back on.

I mean, I know of someone who died just as this all started, they managed to finally have a funeral a week ago. They were allowed to have 5 people attend. But no, we desperately need to have a bunch of millionaires chase a ball around for a couple of hours with a load of other people on hand to make sure it goes ahead and gets televised, because money.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I'm sure there's some minutes of a meeting somewhere that has something to the effect of 'either the season gets finished no matter what and any cost that is less than paying back Sky and co globally is acceptable, or we force the authorities to stop is going ahead, in which case we direct the lawyers letters to them and our insurers'.

It's absurd, when we have a situation where, quite understandably, we've basically put the country into emergency measures to prevent a massive scale crisis, which has meant life has had to alter quickly and significantly for the vast majority of people, that we're contemplating putting the football back on.

I mean, I know of someone who died just as this all started, they managed to finally have a funeral a week ago. They were allowed to have 5 people attend. But no, we desperately need to have a bunch of millionaires chase a ball around for a couple of hours with a load of other people on hand to make sure it goes ahead and gets televised, because money.

I don't care about football apart from Villa, but the more of this I read the more I want football shitcanned for a very, very long time.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

the more of this I read the more I want football shitcanned for a very, very long time.

Yeah, me too. I haven't missed it a bit either.

I'll spoil this post, now, by saying I miss cricket.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Genie said:

I’m waiting for the players to refuse to play. Lots will pick up “injuries” in training I predict.

Watford making noises about not resuming. Not sure who will be first to refuse to play.

The Watford chairman and CEO, Scott Duxbury, has said that a resumption of top-level football in England should be off the agenda until the burden on the NHS has become less severe, adding that he does not think “football is important at the moment”.

Before the meeting of Premier League executives scheduled for Friday, and with the Bundesliga lined up to be the first major league to restart after a coronavirus lockdown, Duxbury said: “I feel uncomfortable at this stage even talking about football because there are people dying every day, there are stresses on the NHS, and that has to be the priority.

“Do I want to resume football? Absolutely, and when it’s safe and the government says it’s fine and all the players and support staff that follow football can return, then I’m 100% behind that. But at the moment I feel all efforts have to be on beating the pandemic and supporting the NHS.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/apr/27/football-not-restart-until-strain-nhs-eases-says-watford-chairman-scott-duxbury

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

France have cancelled the leagues 

Yep, first of the big (ish) leagues to do it. It’s the right thing tbh, as painful as it will be be. Yes, Villa will get away with it but PL/FA/EFL need to bite the bullet and effectively restart the season again. 

Liverpool though :crylaugh: 

• Like 1

Just now, LakotaDakota said:

Looks like it is at government level rather than fa level, just banned it until at least August

Yep, looks like the government made the August decision and the cancelling of the league is a reaction to that 

Its the right decision by both and one that deep down I think most of the associations would like their governments to make for them 

Â