Carney Chukwuemeka

Villan4Life

He was playing to keep the ball but I felt he needed to take a risk and pass that through ball or take that shot on. 

Needs self belief which will come. Ramsey was the same for a while. Used to pass sideways last season. This season he just drives with the ball. 

• Like 1

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Well chuckys a big lad and your not exactly going to throw sanson in to do that role are you?

Limited options at cm

Just because he is tall doesn't mean thats his job or what he is good at

• Like 1

Just now, Zatman said:

Just because he is tall doesn't mean thats his job or what he is good at

Well i dont blame gerrard for trying it as we were were getting bullied there and Carney was given a opportunity to see if he could. But sadly it never worked.

Kind of game we missef nakamaba 

vs leeds bullying is the wrong thing, the surprise was that he didnt bring on someone to try and match the work rate, what he did instead was bring on chuk i think to put a foot on the ball and slow the game down, give us the ball and keep it away from them, we cant match them in the middle for energy but we should be able to pass it and control the game that way

unfortunately we arent great at passing either...

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

I thought it was a decent cameo. He looked to get on the ball and make things happen - it was tough to do so but he wasn't afraid and didn't look out of place, which for his age is an excellent sign. 

Yes I think he would have looked better with Coutinho on the pitch, the game had turned in their favour so it was never going to be an easy game.

He looks tidy in the middle and final third but I was getting a bit frustrated by the couple of times he tried to play out of trouble at the back yesterday. Almost got caught out at one point.

Not the decisive impact he would have wanted, but he's learning. If his trajectory is anything like JJ's then we'll have some player.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, supermon said:

One thing that frustrated me was that he didn't busy a gut to get back, he was the fresher of the two but Luis tracked his player, he was almost puffing away like he's been playing bthe whole game.

In fairness, I don't think Coutinho did a huge amount of tracking back either - neither of the players are great at it, but both at least put some effort in and our other ten, Buendia, is an absolute grafter - with us playing two number tens, we can get away with that, it gives Coutinho the licence to concentrate on what he's brilliant at and have cover behind him.

I'm interested in your comment about him being the fresher of the two but then adding Luiz - Chukwuemeka came on as part of a two with Ashley Young who had come on to replace Buendia as our second ten - Luiz was in the line behind him with Ramsey and McGinn - I'm not sure if you're suggesting you saw Chukwuemeka as playing deeper than I did?

I definitely saw him as a ten, a direct replacement for Coutinho in our 4-3-2-1.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Well i dont blame gerrard for trying it as we were were getting bullied there and Carney was given a opportunity to see if he could. But sadly it never worked.

Kind of game we missef nakamaba 

He came on in attacking midfield and is more of a technical attacking player than one to bully the opposition. If you were expecting an 18 year old attacking midfielder to come on and bully people you're always going to be disappointed.

He's been able to have key involvements in goals and chances created in previous games. Didn't think it was his best cameo but once we had the red card it was really a case of protecting the point and therefore a lot of what he was brought on for became pretty redundant.

1 hour ago, AndyClarke said:

Unless something happens injury wise, he won't be going out on loan for development.

Depends on contract + what happens with Phil. We could have him, Emi, Bert and Leon all ready. Which will make him behind in terms of choice. He will need to start regularly somewhere. I’m not sure next season we’ll be able to do that. He will need a proper run even this season to know what kind of way we’ll use him next season. 

Still not seeing it with this kid if i'm honest ( and no I don't watch much U23's )

But with the way people talk about him, and are shitting it at the prospect of losing him, as if he has a " right " to be demanding starting places and big money, don't align for me currently.

I'll have to contradict myself, and say what 1 or 2 others said in the Jacob Ramsey thread: " I'm not sure what he is meant to be good at " , as in, what are his outstanding qualities, which make him so highly rated?

Yesterday he seemed slow to me, not " Languid ". He'll need to speed it up and have alot more intensity to slot in in the PL IMO.

Massive pinches of salt though, as I've said before, I never initially saw it with " Shin Splints " either.

Don't get me wrong, he looks " ok ".

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Still not seeing it with this kid if i'm honest ( and no I don't watch much U23's )

But with the way people talk about him, and are shitting it at the prospect of losing him, as if he has a " right " to be demanding starting places and big money, don't align for me currently.

I'll have to contradict myself, and say what 1 or 2 others said in the Jacob Ramsey thread: " I'm not sure what he is meant to be good at " , as in, what are his outstanding qualities, which make him so highly rated?

Yesterday he seemed slow to me, not " Languid ". He'll need to speed it up and have alot more intensity to slot in in the PL IMO.

Massive pinches of salt though, as I've said before, I never initially saw it with " Shin Splints " either.

Looking ok is what I would expect from a 18 year old in his first senior season, ok with flashes of brilliance is what JJ looked in his first season. Has he got more to his game than JJ ? Probably not, he’s been the biggest kid and most physically developed  kid at youth level which makes him look amazing when playing at that level. Every time he’s played this season he’s done the basics well (except for the miss placed pass last night) hasn’t stood out but not been anonymous ,but with flashes of brilliance (vs Norwich and Man Utd) I think that’s all we can ask , and lower our expectations.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Looking ok is what I would expect from a 18 year old in his first senior season, ok with flashes of brilliance is what JJ looked in his first season. Has he got more to his game than JJ ? Probably not, he’s been the biggest kid and most physically developed  kid at youth level which makes him look amazing when playing at that level. Every time he’s played this season he’s done the basics well (except for the miss placed pass last night) hasn’t stood out but not been anonymous ,but with flashes of brilliance (vs Norwich and Man Utd) I think that’s all we can ask , and lower our expectations.

Exactly. He's 18 and getting subbed on for coutinho (was it?). Just not looking out of place and getting used to the pace of the prem is fantastic. Ramsey was the same - look where he is now

• Like 1

Chukwuemeka standing out at U23 level and looking as good as he did had little to do with his physicallity as that wasn't a big part of his game, it's skill, vision, ability to run with the ball, and link up play, that made him so good for the U23s, he wasn't even that big compared to other players when playing for the U23s, more tall than big built, it's only recently that he's bulked up.

Have to remember he played most of his U23 football as a sixteen and seventeen year old, so was mostly coming up against players two, three, or four years older than him, sometimes older than that.

As for how he's doing now he's barely played two games worth of first team football, the step up from U23 football to Premier League football is massive, sometimes I watch our U23 games and then watch a senior game later and it's almost like a different sport in terms of the speed and intensity, so for Chukwuemeka to come into the first team and not look out place with a few signs of brilliance, is a very promising sign.

7 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

If you look “ok” when you’re 18 chances are you will be a very good PL player. It’s not more complicated than that for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gwi1890 said:

Fair play, I'm wondering if the level of " hype " subconsciously skews my limited analysis of him.

Possibly his style as well. In fairness he hasn't really had alot of minutes or a run of games to settle in either.

If they rate him as highly as reported, then that's good enough for me I guess.

However with Ramsey, I just had a feeling we were on to something.

It's a shame we got knocked.out of cups so early, would have given the likes of him more meaningful minutes, and fans like me more opportunity to watch him.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

He has done well when coming on and doesn’t look out of place - a huge achievement for an 18 yo  

However, I am concerned at his lack of pace which has been apparent a number of times - I’m not sure that this is something that can be improved greatly.  This together with a very lethargic style can be a bad mix with supporters when things aren’t going well. Gareth Barry is the closest comparison that I can recall in ‘recent’ times but he had real strength and power to counter this - Carney will need to develop similar

i can’t help thinking that his development is being hampered by his (agents?) stance on a contract - I feel we are being ‘blackmailed’ into playing him when his growth would be much better suited by six months in the cut and thrust of the Championship

Very hard to predict how youngsters will progress - I’ve got my concerns but it will be interesting to watch - I hope with the Villa

• Like 1

Â