Carney Chukwuemeka

Villan4Life

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

To change the subject slightly, how does he pronounce his surname? 

Like most people, I've been saying 'Chuck-wuh-MAY-kuh', but I recently heard a commentator say 'Chuck-WEMMEH-kuh', which I must admit sounds more likely. 

Troublemaker.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

To change the subject slightly, how does he pronounce his surname? 

Like most people, I've been saying 'Chuck-wuh-MAY-kuh', but I recently heard a commentator say 'Chuck-WEMMEH-kuh', which I must admit sounds more likely. 

As you spell it I would have thought, Chuk- Weh- mecka as in mecca? 

• Like 1

We're quick to blast people for sitting on contracts and not playing. If Chuk wants to play football and wants to go and play football then he really is backing himself.

I think to be honest a few times we've missed a trick not just shoving this kid in for more game time.

I think the problem here is his agent.

He's not signed up with any of the larger agencies or with any of the better known agents. It's difficult to find information on who Carney's representative actually is, but from what I understand, Carney is pretty much their only client - that means he's the only meal ticket the agency has - they'll be desperate to cash in and they'll know that at some point they won't hold that ticket any more - that Carney will move to a bigger agency as his career develops.

For Carney's agent, this might be a one shot deal - the only chance they'll ever have of making money out of a football player - they will want to squeeze that opportunity as tightly as they can. 

I'm not sure that's what's best for his career, or for his development - but I get it.

I think Carney has three options;

• Sign a new contract here (good for his development)
  • Get a new agent (good for his career)
  • Sign with whichever club offers his agent most money (at the risk of his career and development).

But then, I'm very biased as to what I'd like him to do.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think the problem here is his agent.

He's not signed up with any of the larger agencies or with any of the better known agents. It's difficult to find information on who Carney's representative actually is, but from what I understand, Carney is pretty much their only client - that means he's the only meal ticket the agency has - they'll be desperate to cash in and they'll know that at some point they won't hold that ticket any more - that Carney will move to a bigger agency as his career develops.

For Carney's agent, this might be a one shot deal - the only chance they'll ever have of making money out of a football player - they will want to squeeze that opportunity as tightly as they can. 

I'm not sure that's what's best for his career, or for his development - but I get it.

I think Carney has three options;

• Sign a new contract here (good for his development)
  • Get a new agent (good for his career)
  • Sign with whichever club offers his agent most money (at the risk of his career and development).

But then, I'm very biased as to what I'd like him to do.

It's hard to figure out what's happening. For sporting reasons Carney could legitimately have seen he had made 1 appearance under Smith in the Prem in 11 games. There was a change of manager and he could rightly decided to wait and see how Gerrard viewed him. He's now featured in 4 of the last 6 for Gerrard. Coutinho is not a player who will be playing many 90 minute games this season, he's not played 90 mins in a long time and at the pace of the Prem. 

I think AEG, Trez and probably Traore will be on their way out. I'd imagine the Traore one is linked to if Coutinho is being signed in summer or not. Also the question remains is Carney going to learn to play one of the Box to Box 8 roles? I feel he is probably best suited to that role. If he's versatile in the 10 or 8 role and learns more this season and in pre season in summer. He has lots of option for game time. He might be getting minutes at 10 off the bench due to our shortage of players for that position.

Coutinhio, Bailey, Buendia, Carney looks a nice group of players for the 10 roles. Especially given inevitable injuries and hopefully the goal of European football in the future. 

At least for the coming games. We'll have Coutinho, Buendia starting and Carney the only one to bring on to replace Coutinho off the bench. So more game time awaits Carney until Bailey gets fit again.

Edited by CVByrne
  • Like 3

I can't be mad at Carney not signing the contract during his full full season as a professional. Its the smart play. Why rush to sign and remove any leverage he might have. 

When the likes of Pulisic and Sancho have 30 first team appearancs at 18 years old he knows the playing opportunity is out there. I feel their is salary that could convince him to go with a little less playing time but Villa have to be willing to pay it. 

We aren't not playing him because he isn't signing a deal, if it upset Gerrard or the club that much he wouldn't even be on the bench.

Besides I'm not sure why people are making such a big deal about his contract, yes it would be great if he signed an extension, but he already has a contract and has almost two years left on it, he's not done anything wrong.

All that said I'm starting to think he'd be better off going on loan if he's hardly going to play.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Feels odd he was regular sub in first few weeks, generally came on and made an impact e.g. assist at Norwich and now can't get on when we're losing.

Wonder if it's a case of politics still regarding lack of signing a new contract.

JPB was given a chance instead. I feel Gerrard willing to give everyone a chance. I'd expect Carney to be coming off the bench next week

• Like 2

Again if we were of the mind not bring him on in games because he hasn't signed a contract, then it follows that he wouldn't even be on the bench in the first place.

Also if we want him to sign a new contract, then us not bringing him on because he hasn't signed wouldn't make any sense whatsoever, because that's hardly going to make him want to stay.

We might want him to play more but that he isn't won't have anything to do with his contract.

The only thing his contract situation might affect in terms of what we do with him playing wise is whether he goes on loan or not, because that's much more unlikely as it stands.

Also not sure why people are ignoring the fact that he already has a deal and has eighteen or so months left to run on it.

• Like 1

I'm not sure we should be making judgments on one game - maybe he's had a bit of a cold this week, maybe he didn't train well, maybe he's had a bit of a muscle pinch and he's not been sleeping well, maybe he fell out with his girlfriend and hasn't quite been himself this week, maybe El Ghazi trained like a monster or JPB blew everyone away at Bodymoor on Friday - there's so much we don't know, and sure we can guess at things over a period of time, but I don't think tonight was some sort of conclusive evidence of his demise - I'm sure we'll see him play again soon.

• Like 4

Basically Gerrard cant count on Carney for the future
He wants players who want to be at the club and play for Aston Villa
Its a warning sign for Carney - Either you want to be at Villa or elsewhere 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Olof82Mellberg4 said:

Gerrard commented on him specifically

"I'm still waiting to find out what Carney's going to do in terms of his future - so there's a lot going on in that No.10 area that we're discussing and analysing at the moment."

One of the greatest ever midfielders rocks up as manager and he still isnt convinced. I think Gerrard needs to get his cousin on the phone Bobby Duncan and explain to Carney that the grass is rarely greener. 

We don’t really know what’s going on. Wasn’t there loads of talk like this also going around when he signed his last contract?
I trust Gerrard to be honest. Probably more than I’ve trusted a Villa manager in the last 25 years. Whatever the reason is that Carney didn’t come on, it’s because Gerrard did not think it was right. That’s good enough for me.

• Like 1

Â