Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

1 minute ago, Okonokos said:

I don't think we'll be signing Wilson. Have a feeling his name has been leaked to force the hand of other clubs.

Anything from McNulty is a direct line a club/agent wants out. He's nothing but a mouthpiece.

Could be us, could be Bournemouth, could be his agent letting people know he's available.

Just now, VillaChris said:

I could live with that, Grealish had a longer absence that season and no one would have an issue with his fitness signing him this summer. Kienan Davis missed four months of last season so he's far more injury prone than Wilson in recent times.

Scored 3 goals since October last year over 28 games where he played 90 minutes in most of them.

Not saying he's gash but he's not someone I'd ever consider due to a combination of age, price, salary, injuries and ability.

Just now, Tomaszk said:

Anything from McNulty is a direct line a club/agent wants out. He's nothing but a mouthpiece.

Could be us, could be Bournemouth, could be his agent letting people know he's available.

Newcastle actually want Wilson so everyone saying it's a Bruce type signing are correct as he wants him. I still think Newcastle are favourites as they're apparently offering Matt Ritchie back to Bournemouth, surprising as he's still a good player at premier league level (would probably improve us on the left side).

Depends if Wilson wants to move back to the Midlands. Born in Coventry and played for Tamworth in 11-12 aswell.

1 minute ago, sne said:

Scored 3 goals since October last year over 28 games where he played 90 minutes in most of them.

Not saying he's gash but he's not someone I'd ever consider due to a combination of age, price, salary, injuries and ability.

Do you think in our present state we're capable of getting a 15-20 goal striker from a top euro league? I think Wilson and Watkins is about the best we can do this summer. If we can also add in a decent wide player and obviously keep Grealish that to me is so much better than what we had on 1st September last year.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Dean Smith is clearly getting more say after what happened last summer. He's liked Wilson since he was at Coventry and they were in league 1 with Walsall.

I think Lange is still getting his feet under the table here and probably restructing our scouting options so think we'll see more of what he does in January and next summer.

Well then that's poor planning by us. You can't buy well in Jan and we have a real opportunity to push on this season. We are taking a massive risk by waiting till next summer.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Do you think in our present state we're capable of getting a 15-20 goal striker from a top euro league? I think Wilson and Watkins is about the best we can do this summer. If we can also add in a decent wide player and obviously keep Grealish that to me is so much better than what we had on 1st September last year.

Wesley had a better goals to minutes ratio than Wilson last season, and is 6 years younger with half as many ACL injuries.

Edited by MessiWillSignForVilla
  • Like 2

In regards to Wilson he has started over 30 games for three consecutive seasons which is hardly Darren Anderton sicknote territory. 

If you average it out his last 3 seasons he has played 34 games and scored 11 goals per season. About 1 in 3 for a mediocre side is a reasonable strike rate.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 3

Fraser across four years would cost under £25m. Be disappointing if he goes to Newcastle when we need at least two wingers.

Wilson would cost probably exactly the same plus whatever the transfer fee is.

I do like him and think he would be a good signing but alarm bells are ringing at the cost and injury history, which I didn't realise was quite this bad.

PLHdzhJ.png

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Like 1

given the relative prices of players, 20m for someone with experience in the PL and an England cap doesn't seem too unreasonable. Wouldn't be my first choice, but as a fairly reliable performer he'd improve upon our existing strikeforce. My inclination is currently a bluff with Watkins deal, but let's see. 

And Why are people sniffy with reliable players from PL or Championship. Last year we struggled due to many players taking time to adapt. That's no barrier this time. I still expect us to sign someone that will make us go "**** yes" at some point, but probably not for a few weeks yet I think

• Like 1

We already have another striker Wesley recovering from a serious knee injury so not sure why  we are interested in signing another such as wilson with a suspect injury record. It's highly likely one or both will have a reoccurrence at some point during the season. Rumours have it that we will be paying him 100k a week as well. I can't help but think that everything about this deal is a terrible idea.

If we brought in Wilson and Watkins I think that, between the 2 of them and Wesley, we would be able to score enough goals to stay up.

Sign one or the other and we would be taking a huge risk.

£40m for the pair seems pretty expensive, but if we are being quoted £40m for Edouard I can understand why it would be a problem. Plus the fact that, like Rashica, Edouard might not actually want to come here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, omariqy said:

Well then that's poor planning by us. You can't buy well in Jan and we have a real opportunity to push on this season. We are taking a massive risk by waiting till next summer.

Target this season is to be well clear of relegation. Newcastle finished last season 13th on 44 points so that's a reasonable target for us.

Burnley finished 10th on 54 points so shows the scale of the task, 19 points ahead of us.

If we can do that we can then push on. We finished 11th in MON's first season, signed Carew and Ashley Young in that January (terrible time to sign players....) and pushed on into the top 6 the next year.

Just now, AshVilla said:

We already have another striker Wesley recovering from a serious knee injury so not sure why  we are interested in signing another such as wilson with a suspect injury record. It's highly likely one or both will have a reoccurrence at some point during the season. Rumours have it that we will be paying him 100k a week as well. I can't help but think that everything about this deal is a terrible idea.

There is no chance anyone at Villa will be paid 100 k a week. By all accounts we have actually lowered the wage bill from our last  year in the championship.

3 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

If you average it out his last 3 seasons he has played 34 games and scored 11 goals per season. About 1 in 3 for a mediocre side is a reasonable strike rate.

No thanks, our three strikers managed 6 between them last season - we don't need a third choice striker who can score 11 by themselves. 

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Fraser across four years would cost under £25m. Be disappointing if he goes to Newcastle when we need at least two wingers.

Wilson would cost probably exactly the same plus whatever the transfer fee is.

I do like him and think he would be a good signing but alarm bells are ringing at the cost and injury history, which I didn't realise was quite this bad.

PLHdzhJ.png

He's played 60 league games in last two seasons. I mentioned Grealish in jest forgetting he also missed August-December 2017 from that pre season injury he got so he's picked up more serious injuries than Wilson in last three years.

Thinking about it we've actually been pretty unlucky with strikers getting bad injuries in last few years. Kozak broke his leg four months after joining us and was practically finished as a striker when he came back, Kodj was on fire in 16/17 then two bad ones and he's done. Think McCormack got an ACL while he was out on loan. Don't think Hogan had any major injuries while he was here and he did his ACL a year or two before joining us.

29 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Why get someone like Lange and McKenzie involved in your recruitment to buy 3 players Steve Bruce would have targeted? I don't get it tbh. 

I think hes been bought in for the medium to long term. 

• Like 4