Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

30 minutes ago, KMitch said:

I don't get all the Targett hate...  What is it with VillaTalk & left backs???  The last LB who got universal praise was Freddy Bouma, which was only because he broke his leg before we could get our pitchforks out and declare him shit!!!

it's valid to be fair. OK i wasn't on VT when bouma played for us but i never had a bad word to say about him and we haven't had a proper decent LB since that day he broke his leg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Can't believe anyone would actually turn their noses down at Wilson...  We would be creaming in our pants if we were linked to him last summer after his double digit scoring season.  TBH, his career has been very Darren Bent-ish to me... Hopefully, we won't sell the supporting cast/supply line for his chances after signing him on!

Not even close to Darren Bent.  Wilson was over rated last season and this close season, he’s not worth the money he’s getting paid weekly and I hope we keep well away from him.

• Like 1

I think of Wilson as a signing similar to Darren Bent and it excites me.

He's a poacher, he scores goals but doesn't really offer much else or create much himself.

That's not me knocking him as a footballer, we haven't really had a proper poacher type player since Darren Bent left.

When we had Bent it was fantastic for a season whilst we had the likes of Downing and Young assisting him, however when they departed it stopped working for Bent. We've then had seasons where we've depended on all round strikers such as Benteke, Kodjia and in some ways Abraham (although he was a bit of both, always in the right place to finish).

In this Villa side now we are a team that do create chances. Grealish, McGinn and Luiz offer a lot going forward, Targett, Guilbert and now Cash should offer support out wide and if we can get some strong wingers in we should create a lot. The missing part of the jigsaw is a striker that can finish, Wilson is just that.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, markc said:

Just hope our signings are inspiring enough to convince Jack to see his future here and sign a new contract.

1st one is a no on that front so far....let’s see the next few signings.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Fair, that's also a plausible option. Though was Watkins actually good as a wide forward? Hasn't his breakout season come about because of a move to CF?

10 goals and 6 assists in 41 appearances in 18/19 when he played wide. A decent return and he also bagged 10 goals the season before too.

• Thanks 1

Just now, nick76 said:

Not even close to Darren Bent.  Wilson was over rated last season and this close season, he’s not worth the money he’s getting paid weekly and I hope we keep well away from him.

The similarities to Bent are even stronger after last season.

Bournemouth were poor last season, they created little chances and Wilson's form suffered. 

Exactly the same thing happened to Bent at Villa when we stopped creating chances for him.

• Like 1

Just now, wilko154 said:

I think of Wilson as a signing similar to Darren Bent and it excites me.

He's a poacher, he scores goals but doesn't really offer much else or create much himself.

That's not me knocking him as a footballer, we haven't really had a proper poacher type player since Darren Bent left.

When we had Bent it was fantastic for a season whilst we had the likes of Downing and Young assisting him, however when they departed it stopped working for Bent. We've then had seasons where we've depended on all round strikers such as Benteke, Kodjia and in some ways Abraham (although he was a bit of both, always in the right place to finish).

In this Villa side now we are a team that do create chances. Grealish, McGinn and Luiz offer a lot going forward, Targett, Guilbert and now Cash should offer support out wide and if we can get some strong wingers in we should create a lot. The missing part of the jigsaw is a striker that can finish, Wilson is just that.

He doesn’t have Bent’s scoring record, he’s at best a poor mans Darren Bent.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

The similarities to Bent are even stronger after last season.

Bournemouth were poor last season, they created little chances and Wilson's form suffered. 

Exactly the same thing happened to Bent at Villa when we stopped creating chances for him.

His ratio wasn’t even close to Bent’s.  

He’s only had one half decent season by the age of 28.  

No thanks!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Lord Willard said:

Call me doom and gloom and happy to be proven wrong but we are going to struggle next season if our transfers are Cash, Watkins and Wilson. 

If I were Jack I would be asking management where's the ambition? You're not exactly enticing me to stay. 

Completely agree!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villarule123 said:

I wouldn't mind Wilson as long as Eduoard or Watkins come too. 

Sign a winger too (Benrahma or Rashica) and it'll be a great window all of a sudden. 

This for me.

I wouldn't be happy with Wilson alone.

Personally I would rather spend 30-35 million on Edouard over the reported 28 million Brentford are asking for Watkins.

Benrahma or Rashica and Buendia as well would round off a pretty strong transfer window.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I wonder if the prospect of finishers like Watkins/Wilson to choose from up front becomes a more attractive one if we then go bag Buendia and/or Benrahma...

slightly, yeah, players that are much more creative than trez or ghaz. i dont think wilson will get double figures with the current lot

• Like 1

I'd be happy with Wilson. What do people seriously expect? Everyone moans about not targeting premier league experience. Wilson is a striker with bags of prem experience and in his prime years. We are very unlikely to attract a striker with prem experience from any of the other 19 teams so this move makes sense and is low risk in my opinion, assuming he arrives along side someone like Watkins and with Wesley to return. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I wonder if the prospect of finishers like Watkins/Wilson to choose from up front becomes a more attractive one if we then go bag Buendia and/or Benrahma...

Probably for me. I'm fine with going after Watkins (as long as we don't pay over the odds) and not so keen on Wilson. If we signed both of them I'd be a bit concerned because I get the feeling we'd use Watkins out wide then and that would be a waste.

Now if we signed one of them and a quality winger I'd be pleased with that.