Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Strongly linked though. 

all people need to do is spend 30 secs just looking at the source. 

Villa itk rumours is a prime example of how social media has just destroyed news and facts. People don't care anymore, they'll believe anything that sounds right to them. 

Fact x Importance=News

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, rayk said:

Sadly etched on my memory in the same way as the usually rolled out names of Balaban, Curcic and more recently Zoggy, Beye and Tonev.

I'll raise you a Fabio Ferraresi

1 hour ago, rayk said:

Err yeah, even Wes has proved that.

But the point is we need someone much better than Wes.

He was out half the season so it stands to reason he would have scored double what he did and that’s with poor service.

I don’t see Watkins as a major upgrade and a striker is third on the priority list.

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

I'll raise you a Fabio Ferraresi

Remember reading about players from the 90s and one of the youth goalies had a nuts wikipedia page. Was something about following, assaulting his girlfriend while she was with child and much more. Just mental stuff.  

5 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Remember reading about players from the 90s and one of the youth goalies had a nuts wikipedia page. Was something about following, assaulting his girlfriend while she was with child and much more. Just mental stuff.  

Matthew Ghent

Spoiler

Matthew-Ghent.png

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, paul514 said:

I watched his goals this season and the thing that stuck out was the poor quality of them. The keeping was awful, loads of shots close to the keeper and poor defending. I would be surprised if he hit 12 in this league.

I liken it to Southampton signing Che Adams last season. He'd scored loads for SHA and played regularly for Southampton but it took him ages to score his first goal. Once he did he hit a bit of form and ended last season well but he still only scored around 5 all season.

Didn't matter though as they had Danny Ings in amazing form from December onwards. Imagine if he wasn't there and they just had a strikeforce of Che Adams, Shane Long and Obafemi. Considering they spent half the season in or just above the bottom 3 they'd have gone down.

Considering we've got the worst set of strikers in the league I'm a bit bemused why we seem to be so lax about the position. We've only got two strikers for a start and one of them spends half a season injured usually so it seems an odd way to go about things.

I assume Watkins will be signed in next 7 days and hopefully we'll then get in another striker by the first game.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rayk said:

Ivo Staš.....

Stas is like Godwin's Law for shit Villa transfers!

I can only counter with a David Unsworth and a Václav Drobný (RIP), although he was only a loan. 

Edited by Xela

25 minutes ago, Xela said:

Matthew Ghent

Hide contents

Matthew-Ghent.png

From this article.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/local-news/former-aston-villa-player-true-3661717

Sounds like a proper douche bag sort but the caption from the photo is the hilarious (ie completely stupid) bit.

Matthew Ghent posted this picture of himself smoking and drinking in a bath full of £20 notes. The image was loaded onto his Facebook page last month alongside the message: “Because I can... Go **** yourself.” He added: “The bottom layers were actually 20s/50s. I thought it was too ‘bling’ to put 50s on top.”

ie he posts a ‘go **** yourself’ picture lying in a bath of £20 notes and then gets all self conscious and says he put the 50s at the bottom of the bath lol.

Edited by rayk
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I liken it to Southampton signing Che Adams last season. He'd scored loads for SHA and played regularly for Southampton but it took him ages to score his first goal. Once he did he hit a bit of form and ended last season well but he still only scored around 5 all season.

Didn't matter though as they had Danny Ings in amazing form from December onwards. Imagine if he wasn't there and they just had a strikeforce of Che Adams, Shane Long and Obafemi. Considering they spent half the season in or just above the bottom 3 they'd have gone down.

Considering we've got the worst set of strikers in the league I'm a bit bemused why we seem to be so lax about the position. We've only got two strikers for a start and one of them spends half a season injured usually so it seems an odd way to go about things.

I assume Watkins will be signed in next 7 days and hopefully we'll then get in another striker by the first game.

There is zero chance of us signing two strikers of that value

2 hours ago, rayk said:

Mate, you’ve  either read my mind or just read a comment or two from me a few days back about this.

But it’s a key topic for me.

I mean for 18 months back we’ve been linked to Benrahma (a winger) and Raschica got 196 pages, so you’d think that’s the only option.

But for that to work you really need a ST of Defoe (a few years back ) / Edouard’s quality up front.

It would also mean relegating Wes to the bench for the most part of his contract and I can’t see that happening.

What I can see happening is buying wide forwards, as that is different from what Trez and El Ghazi offer.

So Watkins comes in and we all know he can play ST or on the wing, and until Wes gets fit again he plays ST. But unless he’s scoring at the same rate as he has done in the Championship, I can see Wes coming back as ST and Watkins Gets pushed out on the left flank.

In the same vein, maybe Samatta (or Davis) gets pushed out on the RW, or we bring in Obafemi on the RW.

It offers us sooo much more flexibility than just bringing in upgrades to Trez and El Ghazi

Flexibility is key. Sometimes you might want wingers, sometimes wide forwards. Depending on opposition, if you’re playing on the counter, etc etc. It then means the players you already have aren’t a waste or just dropped, but become options. I can see times you would want Watkins up front, times you would want him playing off Wes, times he might be on the bench - all those are fine if it gives options.

25 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Not just from the 90s.......Riccardo Calder if you remember.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Flexibility is key. Sometimes you might want wingers, sometimes wide forwards. Depending on opposition, if you’re playing on the counter, etc etc. It then means the players you already have aren’t a waste or just dropped, but become options. I can see times you would want Watkins up front, times you would want him playing off Wes, times he might be on the bench - all those are fine if it gives options.

I agree although the one benefit of signing players like Benrahma or Beundia (rather than wide forwards) is that we wouldn’t be bereft of creativity should Jack get a long term injury.