Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

2 minutes ago, rayk said:

The point about reading between the lines is that literally there is nothing there.

And Higuain, really? He looks like a Sunday League player these days that we’re not going to s*unk £100k a week on a 32 year old.

Nobody seriously thinks Higuain is signing for us. When do you go for your lunch?

2 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

Leicester would be East Mids airport.

Anybody travelling to Wolves would do so by cart.

Not necessarily for Leicester, as East Mids closer to Derby than Leicester. And besides any private jet arriving at East Mids would be a dead certainty for Leicester as a you won’t fly into there for Villa or any other Prem league club.

Agreed about Wolves.

1 hour ago, Adam2003 said:

Ok so reading between the lines Higuain sounds like it’s as good as done, which means it’s even more important that an additional forward like Watkins can also play wide. Wesley will learn a ton from Higuain as well so we should be well placed for the future.

Wrap those up and then bring in Cash and Swift for depth/competition further back and we should be in good shape :)

@Mazrim - see above.

As for lunch mate, I’ve had it so likely to be on all afternoon.

Do you want my phone number as well?

Just now, Mazrim said:

The point is that East Mids is closer to Leicester than BHX.

And it would be a dead giveaway anyone flying in on a private jet to East Mids as it would have to be for Leicester.......

Do I need to type more slowly or something?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, rayk said:

Calm down 😉

It”s a good strengthening of the match day squad but it ain’t huge.

HUGE is bringing in a ST who can actually score and wingers/wide forwards who can take the pressure of Jack.

Whilst i think HUGE is probably a bit over an overstatement, JAMAICAN VILLIAN states the attacking full backs are important in the modern game.

Liverpools full backs provide frequent passing options going forward to their midfield.

Do you not agree that better options in this area would support Jack?

I think his link ups with Target this year were quite important to us in some matches.

• Like 2

Just now, rayk said:

And it would be a dead giveaway anyone flying in on a private jet to East Mids as it would have to be for Leicester.......

So, somebody would fly further away to throw people off the scent. Brilliant.

You are a genius mate.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, rayk said:

Leicester are not signing Higuain - they have Vardy and Edouard likely to go there as well.

42 minutes ago, useless said:

Leeds are showing great ambition with their signings, a Spanish international with plenty of experience in La Liga and who has excellent stats when you take into account his assists, a German international with plenty of Bundesliga experience, and now De Paul an Argentine international with plenty of Serie A experience. Meanwhile we're being linked to players from Reading, Brentford and Forest.

I'm sure people will try and talk down their signings but unless we pull out a few unexpect deals, they're showing much greater ambition and intent than we are.

Rodrigo de Paul would be the best signing of the three. He's terrific.

• Like 1

I'm starting to think we just arent going to be able to attract any big names to the team. Being relegation fodder for the last few premier league seasons isn't helping. Smith isn't really a top draw manager that players we'll want to come and play for. 

Just like Rashica, we'd be right down the pecking order. Have a feeling most of our business will be at the end of the window, except maybe some odd championship signings.

Edited by supermon
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Leeds interested in signing Rodrigo de Paul. Really good player. One I am jealous of if they pull it off...

Mentioned him for ages, excellent stats in Serie A. Can play out wide or number 10 role.

Would be disappointed if Leeds get him but guess as an Argentine that's the pull of playing for Bielsa.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

Just to revisit the 'Championship' concern some posters, including myself, have;

I am not suggesting that because player x plays in the Championship that they aren't good enough for Aston Villa or the Premier League. What I am saying is that the likelihood of said player being able to step up is always quite a risk. Do it once and you might find a diamond, do it twice and you might get lucky... Do it three, four, five times and realistically the chances are that most won't be able to step up/ make a big difference.

There are Championship players that make the step up but some of the examples given aren't accurate; loan players from Premier League teams don't count (Mount/Abraham) and players who've been relegated (Grealish) don't count. You could also argue that most successes from the Championship are very young players snatched up early. Which players in the mid-20s have successfully made the leap?

I'm not against us signing a Championship player, but I'm concerned if we focus on players from that division then statistically we're more likely to get squad fillers, at best, than Premier League stars.

Generally if you're making 5/6 summer signings every year you sign one or two top prospects from there like Wolves did with getting Adama in from Boro and Leicester did with getting in Maddison. Brighton getting Maupay in last summer would be another example. The other 4 or 5 should be more used to top level as those clubs have generally signed.

For us this summer it would be signing either Watkins or Benrahma and then the other 4/5 signings are guys who know premier league or La Liga/Bundesliga as Leeds are doing.

Seems an odd way to go about trying to build an apparent top half team by constantly signing 5-6 from championship or other similar standard leagues every summer. There's still time for the club to prove us wrong but I'd say it's far more likely now that majority of our summer signings will come from the championship. Cash, Watkins and Swift would likely be 50% of our transfers as I doubt we'll sign more than six players so dosen't leave much room for top class outfield players to come in if we're going to get another keeper aswell.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1