Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

3 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Aston Villa are reportedly set to make a move for midfielder Philip Billing from Bournemouth.

https://tbrfootball.com/report-aston-villa-interested-in-bournemouth-midfielder-philip-billing/

He's someone I wanted us to go for last summer, not so sure I'd go for him now that we are "established" as a PL side. But maybe we can't get the next level players yet.

He'd add something different to the midfield at least so if the price is right. They paid £15m for him, I wouldn't pay more than that. Start with £10m and see how badly they need to balance their books.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, sne said:

He's someone I wanted us to go for last summer, not so sure I'd go for him now that we are "established" as a PL side. But maybe we can't get the next level players yet.

He'd add something different to the midfield at least so if the price is right. They paid £15m for him, I wouldn't pay more than that. Start with £10m and see how badly they need to balance their books.

If hes cheap enough then I would bring him in, hes an hard worker and many a time he was the reason Bournmouth attacks went full throttle. Others on here disagree to him coming here but I seriously think he would be a very good presence in midfield and hes certainly threatening and commanding and very quick for his build. I dont see how he would not give us options let alone give us more of a midfield presence and being able to keep the ball more.

Who knows if he will join us but if he does I'm certain that recruitment see something in him and that Smith n co can get him playing better than he was at Bournemouth. 

10 mill what you suggest I think is a steal and a sweet bit of business, which leaves 90 mill by media report for our Wingers and striker. If we could grab Watkins and Rahma for 40-45 mill we would still have a fair bit to play with to find a right winger, CB and a keeper. When you look at it like that then six players certainly is very realistic, especially if we could add a couple of our own unwanted players in to lower price if possible.

Edited by Dave-R

54 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

We signed Wesley on the 13th June last summer and Jota on the 5th June -  we're a little behind that schedule.

• That in normal transfer window terms, it's currently somewhere between the 1st June and the 18th July and it's possible it might be the 19th June.

Soooo, we should expect our first signing in 4 days. I get what you're saying. And that would make it ...Wednesday. Oh my!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, beachboys1 said:

he should no where be near first team

Reason?

I take it you watched alot of Bournemouth last season to say such a thing, if you did you wouldnt be saying it I dont think.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 1

Not really sure with Billing, I only watched Bournemouth three times last year. He looked like a player that likes to get stuck in, break up play and tackle hard. He’d have been sent off had Howe not have pulled him off at half time (there you go Kenneth fans). 

We do need some steel in that DM position, his height and strength would be useful. But I just wonder whether he can pass the ball, and why didn’t his strength and tackling stop Bournemouth from conceding so many? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Not really sure with Billing, I only watched Bournemouth three times last year. He looked like a player that likes to get stuck in, break up play and tackle hard. He’d have been sent off had Howe not have pulled him off at half time (there you go Kenneth fans). 

We do need some steel in that DM position, his height and strength would be useful. But I just wonder whether he can pass the ball, and why didn’t his strength and tackling stop Bournemouth from conceding so many? 

Because defending is a team game, also billing isn't a DM, he's more of a standard midfielder or maybe box to box. (I think lerma was their DM?)

For  reasonable price might be a good squad addition/challenge for a first team spot.

We are also quite small generally in midfield so wouldn't be a bad thing to consider someone of his physical stature, also granted he isn't a grealish, but I don't think he is terrible on the ball.

I also thought doucoure, both are physical specimens.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Aston Villa are reportedly set to make a move for midfielder Philip Billing from Bournemouth.

https://tbrfootball.com/report-aston-villa-interested-in-bournemouth-midfielder-philip-billing/

I mentioned him last week with mixed reactions. I think he could do a good job for us but would massively prefer McKennie.

Its then probably even-stevens between Billing and Grujic.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

Because defending is s team game, also billing isn't a DM, he's more of a standard midfielder or maybe box to box.

For  reasonable price might be a good squad addition/challenge for a first team spot.

We are also quite small generally in midfield so wouldn't be a bad thing to consider someone of his physical stature, also granted he isn't a grealish, but I don't think he is terrible on the ball.

I would also like to question the coaching of the defence here. If Ake has gone to man city for big money. Ramsdale has gone to sheff utd for big money. Billing touted for big money. These are obviously good players with good credentials who weren't being coached correct.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Because defending is a team game, also billing isn't a DM, he's more of a standard midfielder or maybe box to box. (I think lerma was their DM?)

I also thought doucoure, both are physical specimen.

He looks to be going to Everton.

43 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

If you read the bournmouth forum hes generally not that rated, they says he's inconsistent and not that good.

Although some mention they want him to stay to see how he does in the champ.

Just now, Mazrim said:

Don't see any point in Billing. Yes, he's a unit. I think we should be looking for a bit more than that.

Also, he keeps getting relegated. So maybe a Jonah.

exactly what some people on the bournmouth forum are saying.

4 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Because defending is s team game, also billing isn't a DM, he's more of a standard midfielder or maybe box to box.

Traditional DMs are getting rarer and rarer. McKennie, Grujic and Billing are all skilful enough to play regular CM but these days are seen more as DMs.

Same for Luiz, his ridiculously skilful ‘only’ to be a DM.

We just have to remind ourselves that this isn’t a rebuild, we will, ideally, be investing in bigger names, and transfers take lots of time. We are in a pandemic and the window is still early. Some transfers rely upon other teams having replacements and so forth. 

A club like Norwich can sign 9 players because they were happy to be relegated and take the tv money with little effort. 

From the academy to the appointments of Lange and Shakespeare, we are building a sustainable and promising future around youth. 

The transfers will come. Just be glad we aren’t a Valencia or other teams across Europe struggling. We are most fortunate to have very rich owners. Nor we will do a Chelsea, we don’t have the squad for that yet. 

Keeping Luiz and Grealish are crucial to that plan. The club has an idea and philosophy it wants to enact about transfers. It won’t always be 100% but the intent is there. I’m sure we will see it soon. The ambition is there. 

• Like 2