Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

42 minutes ago, John said:

Hopefully there will be some links in the press this morning, if not news of an actual signing. Surely we are preparing a bid. The question is will it be a cheeky one, or a club record bid and just who will we be telephoning? 

When Is The Best Time To Sell Your Stars? | FM BLOG

I agree, It will be good to start seeing some activity John. 

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Being linked with billing today. Yes please. Really good consistent player and a strong tank. 

I know most people don't rate him on here, but if we intend to play Luiz as a DM and X + McGinn in front of him, I think Billing could work. At least he has the size and combative nature we are missing for that. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Don't think there is a plan B in this window.

We are aiming for our main targets. If we can't sign any of those i doubt we'll be signing anyone.

This is something i fully agree with. Don't sign someone just to make up the numbers. If we can't get someone that will directly improve our starting eleven do not sign anyone.

Agree, one of the worst thing we can do is sign anyone who's not our first choices for each position and be lumbered with players who do not or can not do what we want them to do.

Recruitment has to get some real quality over the line and I'm sure they will and they are working hard to find some players who are amazing players.

Remember theres not much transfer movement anywhere including us and part of that is because deals are much tougher to make happen these days it seems, especially when your after a certain criteria. For all we know were talking to players, agents and clubs and anytime soon next week could be the first signing, if not I think the week after.

Look how man utd are having trouble finding someone, clubs only sell players now when they choose to and for how much they want, it's no longer the buying club that dictates terms it's the selling club. 

I just hope all this is signs that were truly bringing in or trying to bring in players above the championship level, from some of the top clubs abroad. If we do have around 100 mill or more to spend it's all a possibility anyway that we could be making some big moves. Alot of it I bet is down to players themselves and how they are taking there time to way up options. Like people on here have said many will choose European football options and clubs high up the league, those players who sell 60 mill n up. There are still top players that wont be picked up by the premier leagues top clubs who will still want premier football and those we have to keep an eye out for and hope we make a play for them.  I'd say it's more than fair and a possibility to pick some big names up, three players from 20 mill upto 40 mill is not out of our league now is it, especially if no clubs go in for them and they want premier football.

Give us a few sweet players front some top europe clubs and we could certainly not be anywhere near relegation zone this coming season. I could see the Owners forking out more than 100 mill to be fair, they have shown they are willing to spend and I believe it will be slightly more than what the media suggests, possibly 115 mill which would allow us to get four players.

I think if recruitment can make a case that the players are needed and the certain players are worth going for and they would light our squad up, I'm more than certain our Owners would throw more coin at the job. 

We will have to wait and see but I must admit this waiting is tiring and annoying, just to see what our beloved club can bring in, what our capability is in the market now and how many players do we manage to pick up. 

8 minutes ago, beachboys1 said:

i saw some one say that can't remember

I think it was from this. Notice the italics at the bottom! We were third lowest on that list because it was using our final season in the Championship wage bill. No surprise the other two lowest teams were the other two teams coming up from the Championship.

You'd be surprised if after our summer splurge and new contracts for a few players it was even a little bit accurate.

https://cdn.theathletic.com/app/uploads/2020/07/28034623/Untitled-design-16-1024x683.jpg

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 1

With all the new guys being brought into our recruitment team, I wonder if plans are still being constructed and actual discussions with teams about players hasn't yet begun?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, dubbs said:

With all the new guys being brought into our recruitment team, I wonder if plans are still being constructed and actual discussions with teams about players hasn't yet begun?

You could be right,  maybe we are waiting to see how the market reacts to Covid influences for transfer cost and reported wages.  It would make sense to see how it reacts like any financial market,  the opeing few transactions might set the level.  Might save a few quid.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Or we've put bids in deals are agreed but selling clubs are having difficulty getting their own deals over the line? A possibility.

I think this is the case for Watkins. Not sure about other deals. The market hasn't going get yet and as we know it tends to be a domino effect.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dubbs said:

That's a fair shout and with the window not slamming shut until October 5th they have more time I guess. Yes it would be good to get one or two in early, but, not mnay team shave done any/much business yet

Still in a strange time we need to remember, this isn't a normal transfer window or upcoming season 

• Like 2

This window is so frustrating. So many people saying we're linked with all sorts, what are we waiting on, players should be signed as early as possible to get used to there new teammates 

1 minute ago, Ben said:

This window is so frustrating. So many people saying we're linked with all sorts, what are we waiting on, players should be signed as early as possible to get used to there new teammates 

I don't disagree with that but it's not as easy to do this for many teams in this modern era of football and during a global pandemic.

It's going to be a bizarre transfer window imo.

8 minutes ago, Ben said:

Nothing new here.

1 hour ago, Rolta said:

I think it was from this. Notice the italics at the bottom! We were third lowest on that list because it was using our final season in the Championship wage bill. No surprise the other two lowest teams were the other two teams coming up from the Championship.

You'd be surprised if after our summer splurge and new contracts for a few players it was even a little bit accurate.

https://cdn.theathletic.com/app/uploads/2020/07/28034623/Untitled-design-16-1024x683.jpg

We converted a few to full time contracts,  signed a few more, and probably had a fair few on promotion based wage increases.  That said, we're capped at how much we can increase our wage bill each season (thanks FFP), so it wouldn't be massively higher,  and definitely below most of the rest of the league

1 hour ago, Rolta said:

I imagine our wage will go up dramatically this season, if we keep Jack he will command close to if not double his wages (assuming he is on 50k-60k now), Luiz deserves a better contract, plus any new players we bring in.

Anyone going will be on fairly low wages I imagine and anyone coming in will be on more (I imagine) plus I think we have to buy more than we sell as our squad wasn't big enough last season.

Edited by Villan_of_oz

Yeah it’s by far the most exceptional transfer window to date, even the wider socio-economic situation will have an impact.

Players may be more hesitant to relocate and take on the challenge of the unknown when there’s still so much ambiguity around how we overcome the current challenges with controlling the virus.

Brexit is looming and may put off some from relocating to Britain, it’s going to be tough to get the players we want I think.

Marco Grujic and some article saying liverpool ready to cash in on him for 20 mill.

Cant say as I know to much about the midfielder and what hed bring to Villa.

Anyone??